Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
930 3.3 vs. Lamborghini Countach

Hi Guys.

Here's something new to me anyway from YouTube.
It's a German TV Show called Grip.
It was posted last month and is in German but no translation required.
The 930 is from the Porsche Museum.
Enjoy.

http://youtu.be/kkr4OzqkUqo

For those who don't know, just copy and paste the link in your browser.

Last edited by VonHanstein; 04-23-2014 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: Instructions
Old 04-23-2014, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Funny how the 911/930 of that era looks better and better..while the Countach looks dated.

Good link.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Tilikum Turbo.

Yes, I totally agree.
Just watching the Turbo when they're doing the quarter mile race gives me goose bumps.
The Countach looks like something from a low budget sci-fi movie.
Just another reason we love these cars. :-)
Old 04-23-2014, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Germans are so funny...
Old 04-23-2014, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilikum Turbo View Post
Funny how the 911/930 of that era looks better and better..while the Countach looks dated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonHanstein View Post
Hi Tilikum Turbo.

Yes, I totally agree.
Just watching the Turbo when they're doing the quarter mile race gives me goose bumps.
The Countach looks like something from a low budget sci-fi movie.
Just another reason we love these cars. :-)
And some people wonder why Porsche owners are stereotypically thought of as narrow minded, self-humping, Richards!

You can bet yer ballsacks that Contach enthusiasts think that the +/- 38 year old 930 design looks pretty fookin "dated"! Hell, I'm as much of a 930 enthusiast as most who post here, and even I think they look just like they came right out of the 1970s-1980s (part of the appeal for me).

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 04-23-2014 at 12:00 PM..
Old 04-23-2014, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Really guys, you choose to focus on looks?

The design of the two cars are completely different approaches that don't compare, it is a matter of taste and is not worth discussing. I like them both btw.

What does compare, is the performance, where the 930 is still awesome and the countach never was.
To me it is a super car vs a poser.

Thanks for posting.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 04-23-2014, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I like 'em both, even though the Lambo kind of reminds me of my ex's Fiat X19 from many many old moons ago. Hell, I wouldn't kick the Lambo out of bed for eating crackers. It was the style of the times....which makes the 930 so unique because it's STILL in style.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsveb View Post

The design of the two cars are completely different approaches that don't compare, it is a matter of taste and is not worth discussing. I like them both btw.

What does compare, is the performance, where the 930 is still awesome and the countach never was.

Thanks for posting.
Well, we know which one won the race and is a better car overall.

But which one stood the test of time...the 911 is still the same design as the original because it WORKS...the Lambo...not so much(and appeals to a juvenile mentality of "hey...did you NOTICE me?!)

Even today, Lambo's are not great drivers cars...they are great vehicles to be "seen" in. Just ask Chris Brown or Justin Bieber.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
I like 'em both, even though the Lambo kind of reminds me of my ex's Fiat X19 from many many old moons ago. Hell, I wouldn't kick the Lambo out of bed for eating crackers. It was the style of the times....which makes the 930 so unique because it's STILL in style.

I hope you get your "Chariot" back some day...as the loss of your car must be a significant blow since these are very special machines.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
what he says.

BUT

the Countach is not a poser. It's not a race car in disguise, as you could say about a 930. 930's are not 934's or935's, but street cars with a lot of luxury for dudes with deep pockets. Countach's never said they do any racing.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I don't care what anyone says that Countach is still awesome looking. When I was a kid I had 2 favorite pictures on my wall, the red 930 turbo on a golf coarse and the Alpine Countach poster. Still have them both. I love both of these cars. And you guys who are saying the 930 won the race might want to look at the start again. Sure it won that race but obviously a bit of driver error there since the 930 was already a car length ahead before the Lambo driver even dropped his clutch. Looked like the Countach driver wasn't ready to tach it out and dump the clutch like the 930 driver. I guess understandable since the lambo would probably cost a lot more to fix. I wish I could understand german to figure out the dyno results. The lambo won that but I wonder by how much. The lambo had 308.5 Kw which around 413hp but I have no idea what he said the 930 pulled. Me no spreakin da yerman.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Even today, Lambo's are not great drivers cars...they are great vehicles to be "seen" in. Just ask Chris Brown or Justin Bieber.
Have you ever driven one? Top Gear (who drive everything) thought the Gallardo was pretty amazing.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete R View Post
Have you ever driven one? Top Gear (who drive everything) thought the Gallardo was pretty amazing.
I thought the same thing about that "comment". My bro has a buddy that is a long time tech at Dallas Lamborghini - he gets to drive their demo units, bro has ridden along with him, and he says that they are simply awesome driving machines!
Old 04-23-2014, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete R View Post
At least one of the video reviews I watched stated the Lambo was too over the top to be considered a great drivers car. Have to admit, Top Gear does have some interesting reviews.

Personally, I have to put more credit into either a magazine/journalist etc, that actually keeps the car for several days using it in conditions beyond the race-track(as in real world useability)...what's the visibility? Are my legs cramped. Is there room for anything beyond a cell-phone, do the gauges wash out in sunlight, after an hour of driving, am I cramping up from seats that look great, but my back says otherwise? and overall ergonomics.

Like a hot-girlfriend we can get starry-eyed initially about, then we see after some time, the true nature of the entity.

Last edited by Tilikum Turbo; 04-23-2014 at 04:52 PM..
Old 04-23-2014, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
At least one of the video reviews I watched stated the Lambo was too over the top to be considered a great drivers car. Have to admit, Top Gear does have some interesting reviews.

Personally, I have to put more credit into either a magazine/journalist etc, that actually keeps the car for several days using it in conditions beyond the race-track(as in real world useability)...what's the visibility? Are my legs cramped. Is there room for anything beyond a cell-phone, do the gauges wash out in sunlight, after an hour of driving, am I cramping up from seats that look great, but my back says otherwise? and overall ergonomics.

Like a hot-girlfriend we can get starry-eyed initially about, then we see after some time, the true nature of the entity.
My buddy is trying to make a deal on a Balboni Edition. He thought it was a little more exclusive than a Porsche and had some real world attributes over something like a Ferrari. It's basically and Audi R8 so it's DD reliable. The only maintenance is fluids at every 7500 miles and the e-gears may start to need a clutch after 15K. There is no obnoxious timing belt that cost $15k every 3 years. It's not crazy big like a Murcielago and only tenths slower. It is lacking room but he thinks he can get a small golf bag behind the seats, (not his full one) Lambo has come a long way since the Countach. The Balboni is 2wd and very limited in driver aids, its more in line of what I think of "driver car" It's not made for road trips, usually guys in that price range have several other cars for that. Hopefully in a couple weeks I'll be able to give you a first hand account.... and if someone want to let me borrow their Turbo I could compare them
Old 04-23-2014, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:

Thanks for posting.
I agree it's a matter of taste and I bet it's a real event every time the owner takes it for a spin.
I was just excited to see some footage of a 930 doing what it does best.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

That race wasn't about cars. The German dude's a way better driver. I've never driven a Lambo. I'd like to. I did get a chance to drive a twin cam turbo v-8 Lotus Esprit.
I'll never forget that exhaust note
Old 04-24-2014, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

if anyone would like to swap a countach for my 930 then i'm game!
1989 944 S2 Cab // 1983 SC Cab //1977 930 3.0 - back from the dead! custom turbokraft IC, Motec M600, 550cc injectors, individual coil packs, 964 cams, UMW HFS7200 turbo, billy boat headers, turbo thomas back box, 996T oil pump, 3.2 JE pistons and barrels = 375.6bhp // 1973 BMW 3.0 CSL // 1973 E Type FHC
Old 04-24-2014, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

283 bhp on dyno for the 930.

Classic comparison.

Waiting for the day a Countach comes alongside in traffic lights, I want to count down like the German dude 3-2-1...
Old 04-25-2014, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Like "itsme", I too had two posters way back when, the Lambo from the Car and Driver, chains & whips and of course the red 930 from a Porsche ad.

1983 Lamborghini Countach 5000S Road Test – Review – Car and Driver

According to Jay Leno, the Countach was a very reliable car which he drove daily at some point. The 930 is still my favorite of all time, but the Lambo is definitely a classic, no need to knock it.

Here is one of my favorite videos from YouTube, it's really all about the sound on a Countach, please do yourself a favor and turn it up...
Lamborghini Countach with Kreissieg exhaust - YouTube

Now how about them apples, errr music
Old 04-25-2014, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: