Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Valve Guides

I have worn out valve guides on an '87 930

Just looking for recommendations of where to send the heads to have the guides replaced....

...and any suggestions while I'm in there?

Thanks
Old 04-24-2014, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

"Cgarr".

Don't think twice for anyone else unless you like to pay a lot more and like typical machine shop customer service.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

While the cam tower's off make sure all the cam spray bar holes are not clogged and are spraying. There's 3 spray bar holes per cylinder one sprays up at the the bottom of the upper valve cover so the oil bounces off and splatters everywhere and the other two spray over towards intake and exhaust rockers, valve springs, and valve guides.

You can spray carb cleaner into the end of the spray bar with the straw attachment while holding a finger over the oil hole in the cam journal under where you're spraying the carb cleaner in and watch the spray bar holes to see if solvent is spraying out all of them.
Use a pin or sewing needle and push it in the spray bar holes to break any stuff loose that might be clogging them and rinse it out the other end of the spray bar where the 17mm plug screws in.

If there's stuff in there clogging them you can remove the spray bars to really clean them good. There's threads on doing that in the technical forum. In turbo motors it's burnt oil coke from the turbo bearing housing that clogs them because unless someone installs an oil filter in the turbo scavange oil return line any oil coke carbon particals from the turbo gets pumped back to the oil tank unfiltered.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post
"Cgarr".

Don't think twice for anyone else unless you like to pay a lot more and like typical machine shop customer service.
A big +1 . I have been in the business for a long time, you will be hard pressed to work with someone better than Craig. He is priced right, does great work , turns stuff around quick, and is very easy to deal with, plus, he is a member here.
1976 930( peru red usa) ,1980 euro sc, 1974 914. 1997 M3, , 2004 Duramax 3500 quad cab dually . 2004 2500 HD Gas 1989 Yamaha xt 350. 2004 Turbo Pepperwagon, 1976 Chevrolet C 60 Rollback towtruck. 2006 x3 a few old tractors, and tons of tools
Old 04-25-2014, 05:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

People tend to think that it's a done deal to send out their heads to have new valve guides pressed in. What they don't understand or know is that new guides come from Porsche already "sized". During the typical cold pressing process, they tend to bell-inward around the centers (soft bronze). Now the guides need to be reamed to fit the valves -- but remember that they were already sized to begin with, so now what you have are areas in the guide's inner facing that are over-sized. Thus wobble. The only solution is to use "undersized" valve guides which are not available from Porsche. This all can be varied by Bill over at Extreme Cylinder Heads. Ask him yourself. That's where I would send my heads for valve guides because he uses his own undersized guides. I had to change brand new Porsche valve guides after a few hundred miles because of this very reason and they were put in by a very, very well known shop. Bill showed me how they wobbled back and forth in the heads. Anyhow, that is my valve guide lesson of the day.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Turbofrog

Good to know. Strange that porsche does not have this in control or maybe their motorsport unit has under size guides for racing?
79 930: HX40S#16, MS3pro+ID1000+044+E85, Ignition: 123/TUNE/MSD6A, True split BB, 2*turbosmart38
Old 04-25-2014, 09:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfbus View Post
Good to know. Strange that porsche does not have this in control or maybe their motorsport unit has under size guides for racing?
I don't know if their motorsport unit has undersized valve guides. And I'm sure Porsche has it under control when they install them originally, probably some sort of high-tech thermal method, or some technique which is impossible to replicate by your average machine shop. In the Ferrari factory, they use liquid nitrogen to install valve seats.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Henry at Supertec did mine. I've been happy.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Cgarr? Who is that? Where is that?
Old 05-04-2014, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Just PM "cgarr", he's a fellow Pelicanite.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post
Just PM "cgarr", he's a fellow Pelicanite.
And highly recommended from my friends.

For PM, see post 381 of Vermont First Engine Drop-87 Targa

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 05-04-2014, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Cgarr is Craig Garret. I hope I spelled his name right. Really good guy and I recommend him too.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: