Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Possible 1986 930 sale; price advice needed

May, as in MAY, be selling my 930 in about a month (I guess that's May!). I want to replace the spring plate bushings, re-plate the parts and install the regular rocker panels on the car (I currently have boxed) before I sell it.

Question is price...

The car: 1986 930, Guards red, black, under 23k miles

The good:

Really a 1 owner car. Previous owner purchased in 1987 with 4k miles. I bought it about a year ago with around 22.3k miles. Hence I don't drive it at all.
Interior is like new. Underside was cryo'd and looks showroom fresh. Never painted. Does not leak. A/C is ice cold.

The bad (is it?):

Car has Kokelen intercooler, Andial fuel enrichment system, larger turbo, cams. This cost over $18k by the previous owner and the car doesn't leak a drop of anything and pulls great. I have the original parts and they are in original condition. So, do I return to stock or keep modified? Big question.

Paint: The hood has some chips and there are a couple here and there. Do I repaint the hood or leave as is? Hood is the worst offender as I am a real perfectionist.

Records: Not many. This car was not owned by some collector who polished it daily. He tossed nearly everything. I have all records of work done since I owned it and a few since around 2010. I know the shop that did most of the work since he owned it but they tossed their records when they went to a computer system in around 2008. So that is a detractor to some.

Maintenance: I had an engine out tune up which included plugs, wires, valve cover gaskets, etc. Car needs not a thing.

So, what is this thing worth? I am having a hard time owning a car I haven't put 600 miles on in a year. Plus, driving in S. Florida sucks terribly. Want to get back into racing and while I have always loved 930's I am having a tough time with a garage queen.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

With those miles return to stock. Sell off the aftermarket stuff to help fund your expenses. Only paint hood if they take it off car and fade the paint line under the lip edges of the hood. A good painter can blend the paint line so that you have smooth paint and no paint lines. Do not paint the inside of the hood. It has decals that cannot be painted around. Do not paint the rest of the car if you can live with the rest.

Again I took for granted you have all the original parts to the car. You have to pay the labor but the aftermarket parts will go a long way to fund this.

Last edited by tonypeoni; 04-28-2014 at 11:07 AM..
Old 04-28-2014, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Banned

I wouldn't bother taking the trouble reinstalling the OEM parts until you've tried to sell it in its current state. In other words, try to sell it "as is" (with the OEM parts included but not installed) and see if you get a price that is acceptable to you.

People like to bark about "stock stock stock" and all else destroys re-sale value, but I'm not convinced, and this would be a good opportunity for you to test that theory and possibly save yourself the great expense of having the OEM parts put back on (or saving the time to do so if you would install them yourself).

Not to mention that a proper buyer (one with a functioning brain that realizes the improvements over stock that your car has) might come along and really appreciate your car for what it is.

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 04-28-2014 at 11:08 AM..
Old 04-28-2014, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I guess. These forums make it tough to sell anything as I have "advertised" that mine has mods. So then everyone PM"s each other, etc. etc.

Regardless, what are these worth? On a scale of 1-10 I would call the outside an 8 and the inside a 9. And I am being very harsh here. I see asking prices all over the map.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I would just include all of the stock parts with the car to sweeten the deal. Too much of a hassle to return it to stock just to please the next guy IMO. I would have no hesitation buying a tastefully modded , well sorted car. People like the pragmatist might not like it but F it. I'm just in the final stages of the sale of my modded 930 back to Germany, they can't get enough of them! LOL
'86 930
Old 04-28-2014, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Leave it as is, include the stock parts with the sale as stated. These cars were never mean't to remain stock, Porsche sure didn't leave them as stock, as each each year were added improvements. Nothing wrong with a lager intercooler, turbo, headers, as the factory did all that, well, as much as they could and still meet all the regulations.

Good luck with the sale....

tim
Old 04-28-2014, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by timc View Post
Leave it as is, include the stock parts with the sale as stated. These cars were never mean't to remain stock, Porsche sure didn't leave them as stock, as each each year were added improvements. Nothing wrong with a lager intercooler, turbo, headers, as the factory did all that, well, as much as they could and still meet all the regulations.

Good luck with the sale....

tim
this...

the mods you have are very tasteful and I suspect will never be reversed.

include the original parts but and tell the new owner to call you after a full boost blast down the road. ask him if he will be returning the car to stock anytime soon?

or ask him if it was a smile or a face of terror that he had when the car made short work of the 150 mph mark on the speedo

Old 04-28-2014, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
your car will bring a good price and please PUNCTUATE the fact that you have all the stock parts should the new owner choose to reverse.

and btw...cams are the best mod that no judge will ever see or mark you down for.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Car

My brother is in boca and looking for a 930. Can you send your number so he can call you or if you like. Call him his name is john. 561-305-0049. Thanks
1975 Carrera #116 3.6 guards red sold
1980 911sc Talbot Yellow got back!! 1978 911sc 3.6 Sold
1996 993 tt white Sold. 1997 993tt red Sold 1986 930 sold
1986 491 Prussian blue sold 2002 tt white sold
1996 993tt adventurine/gray 1987 carrera with a 3.8
Old 04-28-2014, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Supercar slayer

Garage
Well, keep in mind that a car that's modified, whether lightly or heavily, is almost never of equal value as its stock counterpart. With that said, along with the low mileage, I'm thinking your car would be worth at least $50,000. If it was stock, it would be worth more, but in its current state, it can still go for a fair amount.

1987 930 Slantnose Cabriolet, 545 hp, Guards Red- Weekend cruiser
1986 944 Turbo (951), 350+hp, Guards Red- Track car
2005 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4x4, stock 282 hp, Silver- Daily driver
Old 04-28-2014, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5876 View Post
My brother is in boca and looking for a 930. Can you send your number so he can call you or if you like. Call him his name is john. 561-305-0049. Thanks

I can give him a call in a week when the bushings are fixed.

As far as mid $50's is concerned, I was offered nearly $70k by the owner of a P-car shop who I visited to do the rockers. I would never entertain anything in the $50's or perhaps $60's. But I guess the market will tell.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedSlantnose View Post
Well, keep in mind that a car that's modified, whether lightly or heavily, is almost never of equal value as its stock counterpart. With that said, along with the low mileage, I'm thinking your car would be worth at least $50,000. If it was stock, it would be worth more, but in its current state, it can still go for a fair amount.
$50k? essential one owner w/ <25k miles? lol...$50k.

to the right buyer in the condition I would expect of a true low mileage car w/ easily reversible mods would get far more than $50k. think $75-80k.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
I've gone native

I'm gonna disagree with my brother here, I'd return it to stock and peddle the parts.
The big money is in stock or very close to. Mods with stock parts in a box only mildly enhances value.
Stock or very close, 70k.
Modded with or without stock parts, 50k.
No repaint.

Last edited by Tt surgeon; 04-28-2014 at 05:11 PM..
Old 04-28-2014, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Low mileage, very clean car with tasteful modifications = $70k at least

It will always be a supply and demand market, how many others like your specimen are out there?

Good luck with the sale, or better luck and keep her in your stable
Old 04-28-2014, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Do you still have the boxed rockers? Do you want to sell? I would not take less then $70k for a car in that condition. I was offered $60k a year ago same car same mods w 54xxx miles good luck!
Old 04-29-2014, 05:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Good luck with the sale.. and I say leave the tasteful improvements on it. If you sell the original parts off on the classifieds or wherever you'll have more boxing and shipping to deal with if you have the time but you'll end up with more $$ in your pocket in the end and the stuff will probably sell quick.

I really think the people that try to low ball you because the car isn't stock are just trying to come up with BS tacticts to needle you down in price... F them and wait for someone with a brain to buy it and pay more for the quality expensive improvements you've already done and sorted.

I know what you mean about how driving in South Florida sucks... going north or west gets better. You just have to really like the car as a hobby and enjoy tinkering on it almost as much as driving it.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
When I make a decision it will be tough. I worked for Porsche in 1986-1987 and lusted after 930's from then on. So not too happy with my situation or trying to sell this.

I had a full #'s matching 1968 Camaro Z28 RS in Tuxedo Black. Was beyond gorgeous. Bought it from a museum. Was a nightmare to sell and I eventually traded it to a dealer. If I have the same experience with this car I'll keep it. Really want to get back into racing so selling this and my 996TT frees up a lot of time, money and space but I am not rushing in.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: