Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Porsche Crest Porsche 930 Turbo 3.3L

Hello, I'm new here, i searched for the presentation zone but I didn't found it!
I hope (but I always do ahah) that I'm not doing something wrong with the rules!

I'm from Italy and I'm studying dentistry in Spain so I'm far away from my homeland!

I read every day a lot of interesting things on this forum about the beloved porsche 930, in Europe it's difficult to find something about it!

I own or better my father has a 1989 3.3 cabriolet porsche turbo (5 gears) and it's bone stock! So I decided o put some pepper under the hood

And here start the questions!!!

I wanted to start with something soft to gradually and with the time change more and more parts if the money (my money) allows it!

The first thing I want to change is the exhaust, I read a lot of positive feedback about the RarlyL8 Mufflers! But what do I choose? Double or single wich is better for the power? (Pressure exc) because if you look at the fabspeed kit that has the same silencer but you can choose between 1 or 2 pipes the power also changes so I don't know how to proceed

Dual:

Single:

Is it the same with RarlyL8 Mufflers?
Old 05-04-2014, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Is very busy

Garage
There isn't exactly a difference with single and dual exhaust because dual exhaust just decreases the exhaust gas velocity, at least that's what I've read from another thread.

1987 930 Slantnose Cabriolet, 545 hp, Guards Red- Weekend cruiser
1986 944 Turbo (951), 350+hp, Guards Red- Track car
2005 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4x4, stock 282 hp, Silver- Daily driver
Old 05-04-2014, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thats the point! I think that the turbo less pressure it has to dumb out happier it is! Or not? Maybe a balance has to be found between pressure and flow to maximize performance, maybe we wait someone's else opinion! (The one that i postes only changes in number of exhaust ports so...)
Thank you anyway
Old 05-04-2014, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
seeker of wisdom

Welcome to the Pelican Forums!
Upgrading the muffler will be very rewarding to the ears as well as make it run a bit better... FYI If you go with a dual outlet you may have to but the lower valence in the back so the second port has clearance~
Another nice upgrade for the money is an MSD ignition box over the stock CDI...
Best of luck!
J
Old 05-04-2014, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I purchased a dual out muffler only because of the the appearance and did not expect it to provide any more horsepower than the single out ones. The Fabspeed, RarlyL8 and Turbokraft ones are equally as nice IMHO. If you are patient nice examples can be found in the "parts for sale" forum every so often.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
So from what I read the difference shouldn't be noticeable! To mount the double one if I have understood I have to modify a bit the right side to fit it in the bumper am I right?

And what is the little black exhaust the right barely visible? Is it the west gate exhaust?

I'm very interested in this MSD unit but I have some question about it:
6420 is the model and it's limited to 6000 RPM against the original 7200 RPM of the original CDI Control, to stay in a secure zone with original connecting rods what would be a secure cut off (limit) of the RPM? 6400, 6600?
What adaptor do i have to buy to fit the VDO tach?
Wich power coil from MSD should I pear with the whole build?

Thank you!

Last edited by Viero; 05-05-2014 at 12:29 AM..
Old 05-04-2014, 11:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
So from what I read the difference shouldn't be noticeable! To mount the double one if I have understood I have to modify a bit the right side to fit it in the bumper am I right?
Yes you have to cut the valance on the passenger side for the dual out. You can buy one but it just cut my stock one since the metal shield bolts nicely to the steel stock valance but not the plastic after market ones.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: