Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Supercar slayer

Garage
Porsche Crest Electric fans

Since it's getting hotter in Texas this season, I'll probably need find away to make the cooling system on my 930 Slant more efficient so the engine temp doesn't rise so high whenever I'm caught in traffic. One idea I had in mind was to use electric fans in the engine bay. I was thinking I could place them inside the rear spoiler over the intercooler, like on the 996 and 997 to blow more air onto the engine. Is this a good place to put electric fans or would I need to put them somewhere else? Or is the cooling system with the one engine fan, flowing air, and oil already efficient enough to make electric fans unnecessary? This is only an idea so far, so I haven't attempted it just yet, and I want to know if it's even a good/practical idea.

Thanks,

1987 930 Slantnose Cabriolet, 545 hp, Guards Red- Weekend cruiser
1986 944 Turbo (951), 350+hp, Guards Red- Track car
2005 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4x4, stock 282 hp, Silver- Daily driver
Old 05-04-2014, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I believe you could put a fan on the oil cooler. If yours is a factory Slant prior to 89, you should have a fan on the bottom of your right rear fender oil cooler. You can always add on a front cooler under the bumper & if space allows install a fan.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Supercar slayer

Garage
I have a front-mounted oil cooler on my car, and I think it has a fan, but here I'm thinking about putting fans in the engine bay.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

fan

Never heard of a fan for the engine bay. It already has one. If the intercooler is shrouded, it may only serve to cooler the air for the intercooler. What it needs in heat, is to cool the oil. I am sure there is others with more knowledge on this will be posting.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
I've gone native

The fender well fan is only on 89 slants, and not even all of those.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Supercar slayer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tt surgeon View Post
The fender well fan is only on 89 slants, and not even all of those.
The oil cooler on mine is front-mounted, and I'm not sure if it's equipped with a fan, even though mine is an '87.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Take the Cayenne on hot days. I've never ever thought Turbos are good grocery getters or stuck in traffic cars. Like taking a Kentucky Derby horse to plow the field.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Banned

Jason, electric fans mounted in the tail opening actually have the opposite effect to what you are looking for as they get in the way of designed engine cooling airflow. The primary engine fan on your car moves 1500 liters per second of air at 6K RPM (according to data published by Porsche and verified by others since) - electric fans small enough to fit in the tail, and run off of the amps supplied by the alternator, can not even come close to that sort of output (even at idle), and thus, obstruct airflow.

I also want to add that sometimes you see very small fans mounted to the tail a/c condenser - this is to help cool the refrigerant in stop and go type settings and does not aid in overall engine cooling (can actually increase oil temps due to what I noted above).

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 05-04-2014 at 05:41 PM..
Old 05-04-2014, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
The first item is to insure an oil cooler fan. Do you have one? Make sure it works. If you don't have one get one.
I have an 86 stovepipe car and installed an aftermarket fan and manual switch. A thread search will show you how.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Supercar slayer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Paul View Post
Take the Cayenne on hot days. I've never ever thought Turbos are good grocery getters or stuck in traffic cars. Like taking a Kentucky Derby horse to plow the field.
I only drive mine on weekends, and there are some cases where I just can't escape the traffic.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedSlantnose View Post
I only drive mine on weekends, and there are some cases where I just can't escape the traffic.
So how hot do your oil temps get while in heavy traffic? I ask, because I live in North Texas, too, and even on 100 degree days, and in stop and go traffic, I do not see alarmingly high oil temps.

Also, regarding your first post, I'm curious as to what you consider too hot.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Supercar slayer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie's.930 View Post
So how hot do your oil temps get while in heavy traffic? I ask, because I live in North Texas, too, and even on 100 degree days, and in stop and go traffic, I do not see alarmingly high oil temps.

Also, regarding your first post, I'm curious as to what you consider too hot.
My oil temp gauge hovers around the halfway point when idling and just below it when driving on hot days, and it rises above the halfway point when I get stuck in heavy traffic. I honestly think it's too hot when the gauge is over the halfway point, but it's never overheated before.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

mine does the same i have front mounted oil cooler and there are no fans on it. I'll be figuring something out about a fan in the future. i was thinking of fabbing a shroud between the cooler and the body then placing fans at both ends of it. I have been stuck in traffic here in miami numerous times and had it get so hot that it killed the oil pressure sender.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue

Last edited by Ken911; 05-05-2014 at 09:04 AM..
Old 05-05-2014, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedSlantnose View Post
My oil temp gauge hovers around the halfway point when idling and just below it when driving on hot days, and it rises above the halfway point when I get stuck in heavy traffic. I honestly think it's too hot when the gauge is over the halfway point, but it's never overheated before.
Well, we have differing opinions on what it too hot, then. The just above the sort-of-middle hash mark is about 220 degrees (perfect) and the last hash mark prior to the red is 250(getting on the warm side, but keep in mind that OEM front, oil cooler fan does not even trigger until 248) . . . so I will see temps reach 250-260 on 100+ days, in stop and go traffic, and with the a/c on max, but am not too concerned as those are not critically high temps (especially when not the everyday, normal temps).

That being said, I do plan to increase oil cooling capabilities at some point (and move the f*ck out of the pressure cooker hell hole, too ).

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 05-05-2014 at 01:26 PM..
Old 05-05-2014, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

This is what I did to mine... (2) dual pass oil coolers, and related lines. (2) fans, one mounted to each oil cooler that are controlled by my ECU...
I did this as I eliminated the engine mounted oil cooler...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk

Last edited by turbobrat930; 05-05-2014 at 12:08 PM..
Old 05-05-2014, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

yeah those will not fit in the fender of a slant nose though
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 05-05-2014, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken911 View Post
yeah those will not fit in the fender of a slant nose though
Yea Ken, You are right... I wasnt thinking it was a slant. But maybe he can fit something similar in the rear... Hope all is well on your end. Havent caught up with you in awhile!!
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 05-05-2014, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: