Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Need help with electrical issues for the CDI

Posted here too for the 930 crowd...

Hello

I have a 1978 turbo 930, I get no spark....

I checked voltage to the delayed action relay in the engine bay (silver box relay), I only get 12v to the pin from the alternator, the switched 12v, I cannot get voltage. This line feeds power to the CDI #15 pin. I pulled the delayed action relay off and tested on another car it's fine...

Does anybody know what I am talking about, I cannot get power to the CDI box, from the relay, the relay has a brown wire (ground), white, red, 2 red/white, another one too.

Where does the switched 12v come from, my wiring diagram I can't figure it out.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Bump...help
Old 05-09-2014, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The first question: What do you mean, "posting here too"? Dude, you have a 930, there is nowhere else in the world that you should ever consider posting your questions!

And now for an answer to your issue: I don't have one (only because I was running with a hard-wired MSD ignition and bypassed the ignition delay relay). I do know that there are folks here that can answer your question but come on....it's Friday night and most of us are either deep into our beverage of choice - or deep into our women - or watching some worthless chit on TV. Be patient....stay tuned!!!
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Pin #2 on the 14 pin harness in the back left of engine compartment supplies the cdi power.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
beancounter

So if I am understanding correctly, you are seeing switched 12v at the relay but not unswitched 12v? My wiring diagram is tough to read (its a scan), but it looks as if the unswitched 12v comes from the main fuse panel, appears to be the same fuse as the power mirror motor...have you checked all the fuses?
Old 05-09-2014, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
The first question: What do you mean, "posting here too"? Dude, you have a 930, there is nowhere else in the world that you should ever consider posting your questions!

And now for an answer to your issue: I don't have one (only because I was running with a hard-wired MSD ignition and bypassed the ignition delay relay). I do know that there are folks here that can answer your question but come on....it's Friday night and most of us are either deep into our beverage of choice - or deep into our women - or watching some worthless chit on TV. Be patient....stay tuned!!!
Hi im curious how you did that, Bypass the ignition delay and hardwired the MSD?
dont mean to go off topic but could you please post how? cos it may help me as im having problems since i installed MSD and fiddled with my ignition relay and it also may help the OP if he wants to go that way to solve his issues?
Old 05-09-2014, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilonly View Post
Pin #2 on the 14 pin harness in the back left of engine compartment supplies the cdi power.
Hi Is that switched power from ignition or always on power?
Old 05-09-2014, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyg View Post
Hi Is that switched power from ignition or always on power?
I'm going to have to refer you to this thread Robbyg, don't want to advise the wrong thing as electrical is not my strong suit with these cars yet.

Engine wiring Harness
Old 05-09-2014, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
beancounter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilonly View Post
I'm going to have to refer you to this thread Robbyg, don't want to advise the wrong thing as electrical is not my strong suit with these cars yet.

Engine wiring Harness
According to that diagram, pin #2 feeds 12v to the CDI, and it's a red/white wire. That red/white wire is "switched" by the ignition delay relay, per the factory wiring diagram. At the ignition delay relay, there should be switched and always on 12v. OP indicates there is switched power at the relay, but not always on...that would seem to be the problem here.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

ignition delay relay

John Walker who posts on the technical forum knows how to disable the ignition delay relay or bypass it so the motor will always shut off immediately when you turn the ignition key off instead of annoyingly chug on for a few seconds to clean up after sloppy CIS k-jetronic injectors.
I used to know how to do it and I posted it 2 or 3 years ago but I've forgotten how now... getting old sucks.
I do remember it's really easy.. like removing it's mounting screw, lifting it up and pulling one or two spade terminals off the bottom or changing their position. I also remember there are 4 wires on the bottom of it and you do something with the two wires and their spade terminals that are on the side closest to the engine.

Anyway, you can find one of his posts on the tech forum and PM him and see if he replies or try a search here and maybe the information will be found. You'll probably have to weed through a lot of other posts the search will bring up but maybe it's worth a try.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
there are 4 wires on the bottom of it and you do something with the two wires and their spade terminals that are on the side closest to the engine.
Yes i have the two terminals closest to the engine jumped to each other to override that switch presently. Learned it from one of your threads.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Thanks for reminding me what's done
Old 05-10-2014, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Ok, I been fighting this problem for 3 weeks. I first realized a bad front fuel pump...replaced it...
Then no spark, I pulled the delayed action relay, checked with voltmeter....I get 12v to the connector, but when I switch key on I get no other volts, so for now I just would like to jump this connector so to power CDI, so I can finally try to start this engine....see I am hoping the switched is not a bad ignition switch, because all else works, but wait my mirrors and power windows do not...I have a half @ss schematic on line but it's 2 hard 2 read..
Do I have to jump what 2 in this connector...
Old 05-11-2014, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Ok, today I will jump the delayed action relay....as said above. The 14 pin connector that feeds the rear fuse box I plan to not bother now.....because I do get voltage to the DAR...
Old 05-11-2014, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgwollet View Post
Ok, today I will jump the delayed action relay....as said above. The 14 pin connector that feeds the rear fuse box I plan to not bother now.....because I do get voltage to the DAR...
Ok just read this thread for a refresh before you start wg.

CDI help....PLEASE..before i sell the damn car
Old 05-11-2014, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks oilonly.....but my Delayed Action Relay connector has six female terminals not four...
Old 05-11-2014, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Bump
Old 05-12-2014, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
I do get voltage to the DAR...
Do you get voltage to the DAR while engine is cranking?
Old 05-12-2014, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
beancounter

so now I am confused. you get constant 12v at the relay, not switched 12v? I initially thought it was the other way around.

Do you have a multimeter? If you want to jump the pins on the ignition delay relay just to get the CDI box to power up, just test for continuity between the ignition delay relay's receptacle and the pigtail connector that plugs into the CDI box. The power feed to the CDI should be red/white colored according to the wiring diagram. Should not be difficult if you know how to use a multimeter.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks a bunch guys, I dig deeper...I got confused that the silver connector with 6 terminals was the DAR, but it is the rear defogger. So I looked for the DAR, Not to be found, then I seen a extra connector wrapped in black tape, undid it and it was the 4 terminal DAR connector and the PO already jumped the two terminals.( the DAR must I went bad before me).....so I turned the key and never got voltage to this connector, one terminal that was not jumped read 12 v with the key off.....so, do I have a bad ignition switch? So again I am getting voltage back there but not switched voltage.....another note, I have no power mirrors or windows...how to I check ignition switch?
Old 05-12-2014, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: