Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1987 930 Rotates but won't start

My friends dad has a 1987 930, that has sat undriven for many years, it is started every few weeks and left running for a bit.

Well, the last time he started it, he went off to do some other work, and forget the car was running...and he ran it out of gas, he has no idea how long the ignition was on before he remembered it.

After adding some fuel and attempting to restart, the car won't fire. We replaced one of the fuel pump relays. We have spark, but I hear no noise from the fuel pumps, and a check of the voltage at the rear pump shows just 0.15 volts.

Any ideas on what the problem could be? I can't recall if I need to depress the plate in the throttle to activate the pumps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bone stock 1987 930 with 34,000 original miles.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You can also remove the wire/ plug in the back by the air plate to trip the fuel pumps. This way they will run w/o having to crank the car. You have 2 fuel pumps. Could be that pump sucked up debris at bottom of tank. You'd have to crack the line coming off the 1st pump to see if you have any fuel flow.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

1. remove the air filter housing and expose the metering plate
2. have someone else try to start the car [with no gas pedal]
3. while the starter is turning push slightly on the metering plate [just slightly - maybe an 1/8"- 1/4"]. This should help extra fuel to go into the the combustion chamber and should help the car to start. If not bigger fuel problem.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I get sound from the rear fuel pump when the key is turned on, or when cranking the engine, disconnected the fuel line from the fuel filter and got no fuel flow. Going back in a while and will try disconnecting the wire at the back of the fuel plate to see if I can trigger the pumps.

Any more suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so far.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Make sure the front pump is powering up, too, and pumping fuel to the rear pump -- not just making noise, because they buzz/hum when running as well as when they're locked up from tank debris.

Then re-check fuel flow to the engine by disconnecting one of the lines post-filter.

If there's fuel and it still doesn't start, then check fuel flow, pressure, etc.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 05-09-2014, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Simple check, I had similar problem. First check line voltage using a voltmeter.....or get a battery charger and put on the front fuel pump to see if it is seized.....must get under front of car and remove the cover, then you see the pump, but battery charger on it...if it runs good, not, check front red relay on buss panel and the 25 amp fuse...if ok, bad fuel pump, very common problem.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

go to the sticky about my car will not start. go to the end and find the post i did about the fuel pump circuit and how to the TS it.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 05-12-2014, 03:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: