Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Which Lower VC gaskets?

Guys-
Seems my passenger side lower VC is leaking a little (onto the exhaust of course!) - I will try to re-torque the nuts but most likely I'll end up replacing the gasket. I see three listed with our host - two green and a grey. I'm leaning towards one with a silicon bead. I think both greens have that but I'm not sure the difference between them...

Which one do you guy recommend? Or is there somebody out there who has an updated product that's better than everything else?

Patient is a '91 964 Turbo. Thanks.
Denver, CO
Old 05-12-2014, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Use the one with the silicone bead. Also when you take them off you need to make sure the valve cover isnt warped. Placing a piece of adehesive backed sandpaper on a piece of glass work really well for lapping them flat again.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 05-12-2014, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

For the last 6 years I've been using the red silicone gaskets. I've been reusing the same set after removing the upper and lower covers many times to do valve adjustments or just the top ones to inspect things over the last 6 years. Now the same set is on my new top end rebuild and they are not leaking.
I don't tighten the nylocks tight, I just snug them down until I just start to see the red silicon gasket starting to get squished out the seam a tiny little bit. If you tighten them more than that you'll destroy the gaskets.

Whatever works. People that have problems with the silicone gaskets are possibly over tightening them.
My rocker covers are not warped as far as I know but thats another nice thing about the red silicone gaskets... they will compensate and seal warped covers.

When I used the traditional gaskets made of some type of cardboard like material with the silicone bead 7 years ago they sealed well but some of the gasket material stuck to the cam towers when removing them and cleaning that off around the studs sucks. They are not meant to be reused. There's never anything sticking or staying behind on the aluminum when removing the silicone gaskets and they are totally reusable if not over tightened.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Banned

I've always used the OEM paper/cardboard gaskets (the ones without the silicone bead) - never had a problem with leaking or gasket material being left behind after removals.

Ha - three replies with three different recommendations!
Old 05-12-2014, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

ok so where do you find the redsilicone ones? For the top valve covers? I'm using 964 lowers valve covers this time.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 05-12-2014, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

It's a set of upper and lower silicone gaskets. I got them here on pelican.
Looks like they're made by appbiz.
They're the sixth set down this page:

Pelican Parts - European Automotive Parts and Accessories - Porsche BMW Mercedes Volkswagen Audi Saab Volvo MINI

Part #: PEL-SIL-VLGK
Brand: Applied Business Concepts (AppBiz)
$43.95

Silicone Valve Cover Gasket set, 4 per set, hardware not included - 911
(1968-89), 911 Turbo (1976-92)
Brand: Applied Business Concepts (AppBiz)
Quantity in Stock: 10
Time to Ship: Ships Today!
Weight: 0.55 lbs.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the clear answer guys! :-)
Ok in all seriousness - thanks. I went with the silicon beaded version this time. I'm just doing the passenger side lower VC only. For now. I'll double check for warpage before I install the new gasket - thanks guys.
Denver, CO
Old 05-12-2014, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: