Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt f View Post
If both rear quarters have a crinkle it was likely hit from behind, with or without evidence on the rear bumper.
Have your mechanic check for any frame damage.
Not saying there will be any, but good to check.
You can get the crinkles in the rear quarters from a relatively low speed impact with no subsequent frame damage.

Matt
I'd have to concur on that. The rear bumper looks like it took a hit as it is pointed a little downwards. Most likely the crush tubes are crushed. Just get US bumper supports and it should be okay.

14 535i M Sport
Old 05-12-2014, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

As promised here are some interior and engine bay shots.

Old 05-12-2014, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
I've gone native

I would sell it as is on eBay, you will probably get 30k out of it.
It needs a total restoration, probably 40k.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Banned

If you decide to get it running, one of the first things you will want to do is remove the fan/alternator housing and have a good look at the tops of the cylinders and heads - when 911s are parked outside, or in a barn etc, mice usually fill up those spaces with every manner of sh@t conceivable (even saw pics of that area filled with horse treats).
Old 05-12-2014, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
aka 'vageen'

Garage
The car is definately ROW, it is an 83.

Follow the advice of disassembling and cleaning the top end before you start it. This will take 3 or so hours, I just put mine back together after changing the intake manifold gaskets.

It is worth fixing but wont be cheap to do it right.
Yoosta have: 90 C4 Targa, 87 944, 73 911 ChumpCar endurance racer - featured in May-June & July-Aug 2016 Classic Porsche
Old 05-12-2014, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

To me, it looks like somebody backed it into something as it looks like just the side bumper piece is bent. Also, did 83's have fog lights integrated into the valance? I thought that started in 84. Congrats on the find.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

930T Owner

Garage
Nice find. I especially like that it's a hardtop car with no sunroof! Very nice indeed. I think a lot of advice has been given here by many knowledgeable folks.

I will just say this- the pictures depict a car that needs a LOT of work. With the time it has spent outside, I think this car might overwhelm you if you try to clean it up and get it running again. You might make out better financially to just sell it as-is to someone who would want to restore it properly and keep it.

I personally wouldn't put that kind of work into a car in this condition unless you had 1) a lot of time and experience with these cars to leverage your abilities to do a lot of the work yourself and 2) plan to keep it. - I don't think you should expect a huge gain on the sale of this car unless you plan to do the majority of the work yourself. Interior restorations on these cars are not cheap. Motor restoration will be very costly; and this is just touching the surface.

Either way, best of luck to you and congratulations on a great find.

Chris.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
I've gone native

^^Excellent advice.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

I have been weighing out my "rate of return" on this purchase for a while.
You are right. As once I get started I would have to go the full length. As a 70% restored car will carry the same value as one that is 10% restored.
I am waiting on a few phone calls back to see which way I go. Who knows I if I can talk my wife into letting me keep it we can park it along side my 600+ whp 70 240Z......
Thank you all for looking and the information it is appreciated. This was a deal that I could not pass up.
I will let you guys know what I plan on doing with it.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Interesting that the car is a Euro Turbo, but the speedo is in miles (not kilometers). Based n the look of the outside of the car and the motor, I would have to believe that the car has way more miles than that. However, the pick of the passenger inner door without the door panel removed appears to look like a brand new door. So who knows? FWIW, I wouldn't even think about starting the car, until a well respected 911 mechanic had a chance to inspect it and go thru it. After having the motor sit for 20 years and then just starting it after replacing the gas, changing the oil, new plugs and putting in new oil and air filters may do damage to the motor and/or the turbo.
And they are expensive to fix.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

When the time comes I will be sending the car to Rennsport in Sealey, Tx. to get a once over.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Row?
Old 05-13-2014, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Are those US spec front fenders?
Old 05-13-2014, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by texis300 View Post
Row?
ROW = "rest of the world" - non US issued cars - also known as "gray market" cars when they have been imported here.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Gasman View Post
Are those US spec front fenders?
looks that way to me unless they shaved the side markers for federalization. My 84 euro certainly still has the side indicators

Seems like there may be some mysteries to uncover for this car
Old 05-13-2014, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Texis300 from Hybridz...welcome!

Nice find and very intriguing. If you need any help I am only a few miles from you and after 9+ years of ownership certainly know the ins and outs of these cars.

Yasin
Old 05-13-2014, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

I would just sell it as is, I wouldn't bother taking it to Rennsport, you're just going to incur more cost and hurt your bottom line. Unless you are going to keep it and jump head into a full blown restoration, then by all means have it checked out, but remember that's only the beginning of the spending frenzy. The car looks like it needs everything, this is not going to be cheap or easy. Either way we are all here to help you decide, sorry to be so brutally honest.
'86 930
Old 05-13-2014, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

TT Gasman, I welcome brutal honesty. I have a 70 240Z that has a LS3 with a S/C swap. I had budgeted around 20k.... well let's just say I am well over that.......I have had a case of the "well if I have it torn down I might as well"
Right now I am up in the air on if it will remain in the garage or if it will be sold.
I would love to keep it and have a fun car for the wife to drive at will as she has never really been into cars like I am. But the other day when I mentioned the fact that this could be hers when she wanted to drive it...... there was a little twinkle in her eye..... lol
Either way I will need to go through it so that I can see what it needs. I can get it to and from Rennsport via trailer. (so no added costs there) Just what the mechanic charges for a once over...........
I appreciate the honesty over anything else, this platform is all new to me.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

@ slow&rusty , Yup I am here ! Sent you a pm. Let's catch up.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie's.930 View Post
(even saw pics of that area filled with horse treats).
That is crazy talk. How did a horse get in there?

Old 05-14-2014, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: