Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by willtel View Post
That is crazy talk. How did a horse get in there?
Maybe it was a Liliputian horse?!

All joking aside, that pic was really something to see - treats were around the size of golf balls, and the space beneath the fan shroud was more or less packed with them. The car owner went looking when he noticed that his oil temps were higher than normal!

Old 05-14-2014, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

I'd give my left nut for that car. I feel 180 degrees opposite of most others here. You have a 20k mile car here. That means, mechanically, the engine and trans will just need a light freshening up..

But, I know I have the advantage of swapping to EFI, so worrying about getting the CIS sorted would not be a concern.

I'd just take my time carefully going through all the systems one at a time until I would be comfortable starting and driving it.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
seeker of wisdom

I hate to say it but the likeliness of that actually having 20,000 miles is pretty slim... It is a Euro car, undoubtedly, they simply did not import 930 to the US in 83... it had to have been federalized to get into the US meaning that it likely has/had things like safety door bars welded in etc.... as well as the odometer changed from KPH to MPH~

Plus lets be honest people... who the hell parks a perfectly good running 911 turbo with only 20K and lets it rot away outside for over 10 years... someone who knows it doesn't have only 20K, that's who~

Only way to tell for sure would be maintenance records etc... perhaps you can get a Carfax on it and see what it says?
Old 05-15-2014, 02:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

^^^^ probably right. If it truly has 20k, I would give it my all to get road worthy no doubt.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
I've gone native

is it a salvage title?
Old 05-15-2014, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJK78-951 View Post
I hate to say it but the likeliness of that actually having 20,000 miles is pretty slim... It is a Euro car, undoubtedly, they simply did not import 930 to the US in 83... it had to have been federalized to get into the US meaning that it likely has/had things like safety door bars welded in etc.... as well as the odometer changed from KPH to MPH~

Plus lets be honest people... who the hell parks a perfectly good running 911 turbo with only 20K and lets it rot away outside for over 10 years... someone who knows it doesn't have only 20K, that's who~

Only way to tell for sure would be maintenance records etc... perhaps you can get a Carfax on it and see what it says?
This isn't necessarily true. My ROW car had door bars bolted into place, which were then removed. I've heard stories of ROW cars with nuts welded to the door so that it appears to have door bars for federalization. Also, my car still has its original speedometer. In KPH.

Having said that, the speedo was probably swapped out at some point, so the 20k mileage is probably bogus. But that shot of the inner door shows a door that's in really good shape.

If it were me. I'd keep it. It sounds like you don't have the money to bring this one back to life because of your 240Z. But look at the rate that longhoods, and especially RS's, have appreciated. If you have the space, I would store it until I can afford to get it running again or sell it for even more money if you'd decide you don't want to deal with it down the road. Basically, I think the rate it will appreciate will greatly outweigh the cost to store the car.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Just washing it increased it's value.
Congratulations on finding it.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

What's wrong with Texans leaving 930s outside for years ?

I also bought one which sat outside for 6 years. Same color, or should I say same faded color...
Mine is a US model, '86, 53K on it.
6 years on a driveway is not as bad as 12 in a field, so you have more work that me.

I'll start my own thread soon, I'll need some help as I'm a lot more familiar with NA CIS cars, I don't know much about turbos...

TX300, are you in Houston ?

Good luck with your project.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJK78-951 View Post
In Texas, that would be an oil & gas person. Look at the oil prices for these years.
Making tons of money in the early 80s, broke a few years later ?
Old 05-15-2014, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

From the looks of that missing door panel, it is very clean and orginal under there, which is the point. Many other things could look just like that inside, including the motor Everyone is judging the car on surface condition when, inside, things could be really choice. So it could be more a cosmetic challenge, something that is not that costly and can be done in due time, slow and easy and with good research and purchasing. Check out the motor and if all tight and looking good, leak down, compression, I'd keep the car and go at it. Then you'd have a nice 930 and could get loads for it later on.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Garage
Thumbs up

Hows the paint? Wondering if she will buff out.

Nice find!
Old 05-15-2014, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Garage
If you choose not to keep the car, you may be better off sending to a high end auction, perhaps Europe, as a barn find. Collectors drool over these.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

@zagato24 how would one do that?
Old 05-15-2014, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Here are some pics of the doors. Interior door, door jamb, and door latch area.

The car was parked due to the original owner having health issues, then passing away. It was left at his brother's house. It has not been titled since 1993........

I live in the Spring area ( north Houston)
Old 05-15-2014, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Garage
I would pick up the phone and call Bonhams, Coys of Kensington, H&H, and RM. The old British classic car auctions houses love barn finds. The other option is call Barrett Jackson if you want to auction in the US. The more history you have on the car the better, especially if you can validate the mileage? Good luck and tread carefully. You want to make this work to your advantage.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

That is why I have not really detail cleaned the car. Hell I didn't even wash it with any detergents or solvents..... water and a terry cloth towel..........
Old 05-15-2014, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Garage
Make your calls before you do much more and then you can decide how you want to proceed.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

where is the vin located on the motor?
anyone anyone Buller Buller?
Old 05-15-2014, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by texis300 View Post
The engines don't have vin numbers on them, but they do have a serial number located to the right bottom, support area of the fan/alternator housing. There is a pic of the location in the following thread (not a very good one, though).

What engine case is this?
Old 05-15-2014, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by texis300 View Post
I don't believe you'll find the VIN on the motor, but you will find the engine serial number. After you have that, call a local Porsche Dealer and have them run it. If it comes back they can't find it, then you'll know it's was never a US/Canada model.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: