Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

What would a low Vin # be considered?
I have a 1/70 240Z that is #806 which is a fairly low vin # for a Datsun
I just don't know what the production numbers were for the 911 or the 911 turbos.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by texis300 View Post
Under the front hood is the only location I can find a vin#. On the previous page I posted pics of the door jamb area on the driver side. No other indicators that I see.
Well, with the Z in the 9th position of the frame VIN, its definitely an ROW car of the Gray Market type.

Since the door jam one is not there and I presume that the one on the dash at the button on the windshield driver side (on a metal plate) is also missing.

In this case you may have a hard time to sell in the US, possibly could sell in Canada as we are not as struck. Probably selling it back in a ROW country could be the easiest.

In any case, do disclose that only the frame VIM is on the car.

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 05-19-2014, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
What would a low Vin # be considered?
I have a 1/70 240Z that is #806 which is a fairly low vin # for a Datsun
I just don't know what the production numbers were for the 911 or the 911 turbos.
ROW: 1015

Canada: 65

Yours would be between 060-999 since you are only "blocking" the last 3 digit for no apparent reason... Nobody would buy a car with blanked numbers

If you have 059 and below, PM a photo of it

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 05-19-2014, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)

I am working out a few things and would prefer to keep the last 3 digits to myself until the time comes that a buyer comes to the table.
Unfortunately it is not #059 or below....... but it is below 750....

Can you give some clarification or photos of the other locations of the vin#s? I have looked under the dash and do not see a plaque with any information. Neither at the dash.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)

Garage
Beside the one from the trunk:

Door Jam:

Windshield/Dash:

Old 05-20-2014, 01:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)

No dice. There is some evidence of some glue being there that could have at one time been where the plaque was. But remember this dash needs to be recovered and could have fell off during its' journey.......
The one the door is not there either.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

No dice. There is some evidence of some glue being there that could have at one time been where the plaque was. But remember this dash needs to be recovered and could have fell off during its' journey.......
The one the door is not there either.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)

Garage
Only one VIN out of three could be problematic, i.e. stolen or major accident.

Not sure you can CarFax it but if you go to their site and enter the VIN for free to find out if they got the listing.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)

Can I just mention that outside the US not every ROW country has adopted KPH!!!

We in the UK are still using MPH and my UK supplied ROW car has it's original MPH odometer.

I hope this helps.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)

If the car was titled in the US, even in 1993, it should be OK even if you don't have the VIN plate.
At least it should be OK if the car stays in Texas. Did you get a TX title with the car ? Did you register it to your name ?

If you don't have the US title it may be tricky for a european buyer to register the car out there.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ 911SC View Post
Well, with the Z in the 9th position of the frame VIN, its definitely an ROW car of the Gray Market type.

Since the door jam one is not there and I presume that the one on the dash at the button on the windshield driver side (on a metal plate) is also missing.

In this case you may have a hard time to sell in the US, possibly could sell in Canada as we are not as struck. Probably selling it back in a ROW country could be the easiest.

In any case, do disclose that only the frame VIM is on the car.
"its definitely an ROW car of the Gray Market type." - You are correct...

"Since the door jam one is not there and I presume that the one on the dash at the button on the windshield driver side (on a metal plate) is also missing."

- Grey market/RoW cars did not come with a metal vin plate attached to the A pillar or affixed in the dash, nor did they com with a door jamb sticker as pictured above. They were usually required to get a sticker or a plate for the door jamb stating who the type of vehicle and the importer, be it a company or an individual who imported the vehicle.. this was per DOT. Some states required the addition of the vin tag on the post or in the dash.. this is why you see odd oblong vin # as pictured.

The vin # placement that matters is the one stamped on the chassis, it is how the others are verified and used to title, register & insure.

As far as having a hard time selling because it is a RoW car... this used to be the case but not so much anymore. During the grey market days and just there-after the issue was with titling the non-US cars, and insurance valuation. Now that these cars are so much older, that is not as much a concern, but this can still vary some between states, and/or insurance companies.. but overall not that big- a-deal.
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!

Last edited by onboost; 05-20-2014 at 09:20 AM..
Old 05-20-2014, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ 911SC View Post
Well, with the Z in the 9th position of the frame VIN, its definitely an ROW car of the Gray Market type car...
Well, I'll take this back... My car is Cdn and it has a Z in the 9th position on the frame but a digit (checksum) on the Door Jam VIN.

But, the digit in the 13th position does differ for the 83 Turbo; 0 for RoW and 5 for the Cdn car.

Your VIN, WP0ZZZ93ZDS000XXX has a 0 in the 13th position so it is a ROW car of the Gray Market type car.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)

Easiest way to find out would be to call DOT. It's anything over 26 years does not need to comply. Any car in say Canada over 26 yrs can be imported to the states without modification. Just look it up it's in their website.

So a car that's here and is grey market and it's done correctly shouldn't have any problems now due to age.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)
83 911SC Cab

Any new information regarding this mystery '83?
Old 12-22-2014, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)

Paint

This shows paint work has been done. The latch is painted as well as tape that has been painted over covering a sticker.
What was the outcome with this car?

Quote:
Here are some pics of the doors. Interior door, door jamb, and door latch area.

77 911tt EFI wide body red/ Slightly modified SOLD
Old 01-06-2015, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)

The picture above also shows that this is a RoW car..
-note the hole second from the bottom with the two screws above it. This is where a door bar has been added for DoT compliance during importation.. obviously a grey market car.

Oh, and I believe this car has been sold.. it was pretty apparent that the OP was looking at flipping it,..(and he hasn't responded in sometime) and I believe I saw a link somewhere that it was listed on ebay and/or craigslist.

I could be wrong
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 01-07-2015, 04:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)
Banned

^^^

You're correct - he posted a "sold it" comment in the "Notable Recent Asks (sales)" thread.

Here's a link to his post.

Notable Recent Sales
Old 01-07-2015, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)

Yup I sold it. I now have a 93 Supra turbo, auto in its' place for now. I will be getting a 86 930 turbo in a few years I will hold onto that 930. I found this car for a good deal and did not have the 60k+ to do a full restoration on it to put it at the level it needed to be at. The car is now in Canada, and potentially making its' way to Europe ( back home)

Old 01-07-2015, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: