Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

barn (sort of) find 83 911 turbo

I have just purchased a 83 911 turbo that has sat for over 12 years without being started. I know the motor turns over without issue and is diamond in the rough.
Here are some pics. My question is what is the car's actual value?
There are 20419 miles on the ODO and from what I can tell this is correct. I have cleaned up the car and would like to get it on the road again.
Any assistance is appreciated.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Some pics of the car, post-cleanup, would give a much better indication as to its overall condition.

Was this indoor or outdoor storage, or a combination? In what sort of climate has the car sat for the last dozen years?

Don't get too excited on the miles; an `83 is a Grey Market car, meaning that it had to be "federalized" as part of the import process. That means a new MPH-versus-KPH speedo was installed at that time. If the car came over in `83 the miles might be close but if it was a few years old then the actual miles could be notably higher.
By United States Marines.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Wow...12 years sitting outdoors.

My estimate is it's 25-40K on the low-end to get it in road-worthy/presentable condition.

But then you'll have a car worth at least double that.

Keep us posted and good luck!
Old 05-12-2014, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

If its a Euro- which looks like----U DID DA%N GOOD

Check-if there is an engine in there )))

Walt
Old 05-12-2014, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Nice find!!!
You have to invest some $ to get it on the road again. But only 20k on the gauge!
Great! I think it's more worth before then after cleaning, it is to me.
Would be a great thread to follow getting this one back on the road!
looks like no rust?
Old 05-12-2014, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Looks like you found yourself a winner! To do it right, depending on how handy you are it shouldn't take that much money to get it started/roadworthy again... If you are not handy expect to spend at least $5k... then you will find out how much you will need to spend to make it tip top once it has had a few miles on it... will definitely need a reseal so you may want to go ahead and get that out of the way before you put any miles on it.

In the end it will all be worth it... hopefully the paint cleans up ok... in todays market if you had that car back in roadworthy condition it should bring $80K+
Old 05-12-2014, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Nice score!! I especially like the hay you threw on the engine lid for full effect!
95 M3 Red, 97 540I 6-spd Black
98 Landcruiser, 01 Rav4 (Wife's)
Old 05-12-2014, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
Looks nice. Did it get hit in the DS Rear Quarter?

Also, probably some nests in between the cylinders. Be sure to get all that cleaned out before starting.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

From what I can tell ( this is my first P car) it was not hit. Can't figure out the wrinkle in the rear wheel arches as there is no indication of any issues on the rear bumper.
The motor is in the car and turns over without issue. I have been told to take it to a Porsche mechanic to have him run through it. As these cars are finicky. I am in the middle of another build but could not pass this up
The car cleaned up better than expected. I have a friend from college that specializes in detail work on High end cars, so I will be calling him out to look at the paint and interior to see what he can do.
I would love to keep her but I am not sure if I will be able to. The wife will most likely make me chose between my other car and this one......
It does not have a sunroof, it is a 4 speed car, it has the original tires on it, it has the original interior ( brown cloth inserts with a brown leather side boulsters and door panels)
I am at a loss as to what the value would be for the car.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

If both rear quarters have a crinkle it was likely hit from behind, with or without evidence on the rear bumper.
Have your mechanic check for any frame damage.
Not saying there will be any, but good to check.
You can get the crinkles in the rear quarters from a relatively low speed impact with no subsequent frame damage.

Matt
"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us." Charles Bukowski

Last edited by matt f; 05-12-2014 at 11:51 AM..
Old 05-12-2014, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Please post more pics!
Old 05-12-2014, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Here are some pics of it cleaned up. I plan on doing some more but here it is for now.

I will take some interior pics as well.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
I'm jealous mate!
You think it got still the first paint?
if so I would never repaint it.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

From what I can tell it is still the first paint.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

You may be in for a complete restoration, the miles on a car exposed to the elements this long are irrelevant. Check it carefully for rust, any rust damage could make for a very expensive repair. Also check rear bumper shocks for evidence of damage ( the euro cars may still have solid bumper shocks). Plan on replacing all the rubber lines/ hoses just to start. I would budget $20 k to start then decide if it's worth it to you.
Good luck, the euro cars are very cool.

Last edited by TT Gasman; 05-12-2014 at 12:33 PM..
Old 05-12-2014, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Most likely, the wrinkles in the wheel arches was from some individuals pushing the car from behind. Obviously, you cannot push the car from the whale tail, so the next available area is pushing on the back of the wheel arches. My car was the same way, both rear wheel arches buckled right at the top of the arch.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Cool:-)

Whats your plan with it? Restore, drive and enjoy, or sell as-is?
1986 944 Turbo
Old 05-12-2014, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
BTW, welcome to the forum :-)
1986 944 Turbo
Old 05-12-2014, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new 930! I was in the same boat as you about 18 months ago, the car I purchased had sat for some time under cover outside. Your car looks to be in better shape than mine was, and most definitely a better color. Plan on spending some serious time and $$ where the powertrain is concerned(head studs broken, piston ring issues, rusty bolts, nuts, brakes, etc) Read up as much as you can, and you'll find the members here are extremely helpful and will always point you in the right direction. In the end, if you stay the course, you'll have a car that's a ball to drive and worth it in the end depending on the cost of the car itself and how much work you can do yourself! It's always good to see another Porsche with hopes to hit the open road again; the Euro cars in very cool and you're already ahead of the US cars BHP and suspension tuning.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

To be honest I was going to get it running and then sell it. unless I get a good offer prior to spending money on the "livening up" of the motor.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: