Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
930 engine stalls in 1st gear sometimes

Hi all,

Recently plunked an insane amount on my 85' 930 -- rebuilt turbo charger, changed stock intercooler to Fabspeed intercooler, swapped the intake and exhaust manifolds with Fabspeed, many oil lines, hoses, etc. Enough to buy a brand new KIA, I always joked...
With all these upgrades, the cars runs nice, but I have had three instances where it stalls on first
gear just as I was stepping on and ready to kick in the Turbo. It would just stall and while car is
still in motion, I could start up the car again and the car would run normal for the rest of the drive.
The three times that happen, the same scenario:
I made a left turn, from stop, and start to step on the gas when the turn is complete, the engine
just konks out, and then a loud "bang", backfire. Like I said, I could restart the car no problem and it would work normal. It's a bit concerning.
My mechanic said couple of things could be problem:
ECU relays: may be a delay on the fuel charge, suggest I should drive it more and open it up more often
CIS valve getting stuck.

Do you agree with my mech? Or is there something else that you can think of I should tell my mech?

Thanks
Old 05-12-2014, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
the backfire probably means you have fuel but no spark for a moment. Check your grounds on the coil and the over boost switch and maybe run new ones for good measure. Sometimes with the aftermarket intercoolers things don't have a good path.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Did you have your emissions system gutted when you had this work done?
Old 05-12-2014, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
seeker of wisdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrken View Post
the backfire probably means you have fuel but no spark for a moment. Check your grounds on the coil and the over boost switch and maybe run new ones for good measure. Sometimes with the aftermarket intercoolers things don't have a good path.
+1

Check your battery leads, ground connections etc. Also check the CDI box & wiring harness on the left side of the motor.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Probably less than a 1% chance this is it, but the loud bang reminded me of something that has happened to me twice. I've had the intercooler pop off the pipe from the turbo. Both times, mine would not restart, but would after I popped the decklid and reset the intercooler. I thought it was a one time event, but it just happened last weekend. Maybe it resets itself correctly and allows you to continue on.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie93 View Post
Probably less than a 1% chance this is it, but the loud bang reminded me of something that has happened to me twice. I've had the intercooler pop off the pipe from the turbo. Both times, mine would not restart, but would after I popped the decklid and reset the intercooler. I thought it was a one time event, but it just happened last weekend. Maybe it resets itself correctly and allows you to continue on.
Thanks Aggie93: How do you actually reset the intercooler?
Old 05-13-2014, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks all, I will check with my mech to check the grounding and leads...
Old 05-13-2014, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: