Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Driver

Garage
You know the market is getting crazy...

Yesterday on my way home from work, a guy in a late-model MB with a big "AMG" sticker across the top of his windshield zipped up from behind me and asked me at a red light if I'd sell my car. This is about the 3rd time in recent months that someone has asked me out of the blue (or left a note under a windshield wiper) to sell my car. I've had my car for 9 years, and that's only happened once otherwise.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
3 more years of this and I will sell my cars, retire and buy a private jet. Seriously though, the prices seem stupid to me.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Everybody is jumping on the band wagon. I think the prices are ridiculous. Are these people rally getting that kind of money for these cars
Old 05-14-2014, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
I've gone native

Yes
Old 05-14-2014, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The fact that some of you complain about the value of your car going up is baffling..to call it stupid,ridiculous, or any other negative word is just plain silly. We should be rejoicing that prices are not going down.

I have a friend who purchased a Ferrari Dino for less than $100k a few years ago. At the time he felt he over paid. Today the cars are trading above $230k.....do you think he's *****ing at the prices going up?

Honestly what makes any car(or any item for that matter) worth more then when it was new? Simple...supply and demand. Right now the demand is high and supply is not what it used to be. When was the last time you saw a 930 (other than yours) on the road. These were some of the last hand made cars, using over engineered parts. Its about time that they get their day in the sun.....hell the sun can't always shine on fragile Ferraris....
Old 05-14-2014, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speednme1 View Post
I have a friend who purchased a Ferrari Dino for less than $100k a few years ago. At the time he felt he over paid. Today the cars are trading above $230k.....do you think he's *****ing at the prices going up?
I had the opportunity to buy a Dino back in the very early 80's, for something like $24K in Portland, OR. Unfortunately I was just getting my feet on the ground and could only afford to dream. Beautiful car, sure as hell wish I would have taken out a loan or something and still had the car right now.

Too bad the 930 will never reach the status of some of the Ferrari's.....(never - who knows???).
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Ferraris are not rarer than 930's
Ferraris are not Faster than 930's
Ferraris are not built as well as 930's
Ferraris seem to catch on fire more than 930's

Q: So why do they sell for more?

A: Because the owners sell them for that price

'Obvious and logical answer to that question isnt it?

So then you need to ask Why?

The only reason i can think of is that
Maybe the typical Ferrari owner revere their cars more than a typical 930 owner?

Theres a handful of guys here myself included that would not even consider looking at an offer for our cars for under $100k (i wouldn't part with mine for less than double that) so therefore that is the value of OUR cars because we have set it, no one else can set the value on my car, well they can make offers and conjecture but thats our price tak it or leave it no problem the buyer is not obliged to meet the price.

Ive said it before and ill say it again,

The Sellers control the Market not the buyers, keep that in mind and prices will continue to rise beyond the puny 0-60mph in 8.5 second ferrari dinos! geez talk about slow

So if you wonder why some pricing for 930's are low its because the sellers are selling them low, soon those sellers will be no more and there will only be left owners that compleely revere their cars, that is the day when the prices will go through the roof, supply-demand.

Say in this universe a buyer has 200k and he wants a 930, what does he do? he looks for the cheapest car for his money,

he finds 3 cars all identical one is 50k one is 100k one is 150k

He buys the 50k one of course..

He has just set a price guide, so the other two sellers think theres no way we ae going to get our asking price so they drop their price to match the other

But on Another alternate earth all three cars are over 150k, so the buyer again buys the cheaper one and also setting a price guide.

Motto: If you want 930's to sell for more then stop selling them for less, and when they go for more just think to yourself that it isnt enough, not until they are in seven figures anyway.

Ill add that i completely disagree that you can not buy a 930 for investment because you actually can if you do it the smart way.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crb07 View Post
3 more years of this and I will sell my cars, retire and buy a private jet. Seriously though, the prices seem stupid to me.
Revere your cars more and then the prices wont seem stupid at all
Old 05-15-2014, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyg View Post

Ferraris are not rarer than 930's - If you compare model years most are, as they made far fewer Ferrari's in a given model year than they did 930s.. The Ferrari has its own "WOW" factor just as the 930 has its own.

Ferraris are not Faster than 930's.. Oh, that depends on which one. Also, most 80's Ferraris are geared tall, what I like to call the autobahn gear, so they are not stop light drag racers but once up on the cams some will run your ass down on top-end.

Ferraris are not built as well as 930's No argument there..

Ferraris seem to catch on fire more than 930's I think this has a lot to do with the idiot owners and deferred maintenance.. I've seen a number of burned 911 & 930s in my time.

Q: So why do they sell for more? Obviously because of limited production of certain models, Duh?

A: Because the owners sell them for that price

'Obvious and logical answer to that question isnt it?

So then you need to ask Why?
The only reason i can think of is that
Maybe the typical Ferrari owner revere their cars more than a typical 930 owner?
The 930 has always been revered. However for most, as a used car.. over a given period of time, it had always been just out of reach.
- Example, when SCs were between $6 -$10k, a 930 of equal condition was 18 -$20k, with a rough example still being over $10k, Hell, at that point you could still buy a long hood for $5k or less!!! 930s were even hard to sell at one point because of the "mysterious" and expensive repair cost associated with them, so they languished for either the bold or the handy to buy.. but again, they were always a bit more of a stretch to purchase that the average used 911

Obviously you don't know much about this market...
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!

Last edited by onboost; 05-15-2014 at 06:46 AM..
Old 05-15-2014, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onboost View Post
Obviously you don't know much about this market...

You might be right
Im only speaking from my own personal experience and opinion of life in general
Doesnt only include 930's i think if you make any sellable item hard to acquire it becomes more desirable

So Love the Car more and buyers will want them more because they wont be pound penny, (something like that)
Old 05-15-2014, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

You know speaking of ferraris I saw a restored ferrari daytona sell on TV for over 2 million dollars the other day. The funny thing is those were made desirable because the black one on TV on miami vice. That particular car was a kit car made to look like a ferrari daytona out of a corvette. not and actual ferrari.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 05-15-2014, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyg View Post
You might be right
Im only speaking from my own personal experience and opinion of life in general
Doesnt only include 930's i think if you make any sellable item hard to acquire it becomes more desirable
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken911 View Post
You know speaking of ferraris I saw a restored ferrari daytona sell on TV for over 2 million dollars the other day. The funny thing is those were made desirable because the black one on TV on miami vice. That particular car was a kit car made to look like a ferrari daytona out of a corvette. not and actual ferrari.
Robbbyg, point well taken. And not to turn this thread into a Ferrari, or Ferrari vs. 930 thread.. however, just notice how we've spoken in the thread.. simply the term Ferrari.. nothing model specific until Ken noted the Daytona..
With Ferrari the cars that have gone up in value are the V12s, and specials such as 288GT0s and F40's.. and of course like Porsche, all the race cars.

Ken, I have to disagree, that the black kit car on Miami Vice is what made the Daytona desirable... The 365GTB/4 Daytona has always been desirable and that's why they used one in the show, and used a kit!

They were produced in limited numbers as well as a coupe, and even fewer spyders. They are beautiful cars, demanding to drive, and produce one helluva sound from the 4 cam V-12... between that, the lines, and the details of the car are what makes it desirable. Also the 275GTB's or any of the 60's V12 Ferraris.. the engine song will give you wood and they have always been expensive.. in the early 80's they were cheap.. if you will, hovering around the mid to high $20's.. At that time, you would pay more for a 78- 79, or grey market 930..

The market took off in the mid to late 80's and into the early 90's V12 Ferraris went over $100k, and 930s were still new enough to be used cars, and were still expensive as such.. in the high $20s - mid 30's depending upon the year.. this includes the grey market cars. 86 -89 930's of course were new so they were what 40 + ?
RGruppe #180
Old 05-15-2014, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Ok well that might be the case i thought it was the other way around. As for me I was in my 20's then and had never seen one until the show. Thought it looked awsome liked it much better that the testarossa they had later. My fave for ferraris will always be the GTO however.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 05-15-2014, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

2 dudes in a jacked up pickup asked me if I wanted to sell. I was going down the high way at 70 mph and they were yelling out the window. It tool 4 times for me to understand what they are talking about.

I guess people are trying to catch people unaware of the current market conditions (or who dont have google). They did give me a thumbs up when I said never though.

I have had the car for 20 years and this is the first "offer" I have had for it
Old 05-15-2014, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Between filming episodes they used to store the fake black Ferrari Daytona in the basement parking garage of one of the Miami Beach high rise condo's. I saw it there when they were filming the episode Danny Sullivan was in.
It was a while ago and memory is foggy on it but I think they had two of them there parked side by side, one was a backup if the other broke down.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I always hate seeing classics in movies. or on TV usually it means they have destroyed a bunch of them during filming.. Dukes of hazard is why there arent any old chargers around. that movies with vin diesel in it that had the 64 gto. It took 8 cars to make that movie.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 05-15-2014, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken911 View Post
I always hate seeing classics in movies. or on TV usually it means they have destroyed a bunch of them during filming.. Dukes of hazard is why there arent any old chargers around. that movies with vin diesel in it that had the 64 gto. It took 8 cars to make that movie.
Yep, and as the numbers go down the price goes up..

I am actually hating this current run on the classics myself.. there are many cars out there that I had the intention of owning,
(Daytona included) now however, I know it just ain't gonna happen!! I guess I/we need to be thankful for the goodies we have with
the hard decision being, are ya gonna hold'em or fold'em?

I'm holding... f**** the market!

Though I must admit, I have had a couple of interesting inquires about my 930 because of its uber-low serial number. Go figure?
RGruppe #180

Last edited by onboost; 05-15-2014 at 09:11 AM..
Old 05-15-2014, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onboost View Post
Yep, and as the numbers go down the price goes up..

Though I must admit, I have had a couple of interesting inquires about my 930 because of its uber-low serial number. Go figure?
Never could figure that one for my own, but if it affects the buyers appetite, who am I to say what to want. I'll take the extra cream if they insist.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbbyg View Post
revere your cars more and then the prices wont seem stupid at all

+1
Old 05-15-2014, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aschen View Post
though.

I have had the car for 20 years and this is the first "offer" I have had for it
That was my point. For the first 8.5 years I had this car, one dude cared enough to ask me if it was for sale. Suddenly, in the last few months 3 different people have offered to buy it for cash. I just think it's weird.

My lament is that now that these cars are rising in value so quickly, I can't afford to add another to the stable now that I can/could afford to do so.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: