Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Thumbs up

Thanks Mark for all your input , it helps to have a direction when headed down the path

Kozmo
Old 05-19-2014, 11:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Mine is toe in.

Toe out is better suited for slower speed autocross type action, real good for quick turn in, but not so good on the street.
Makes for very twitchy high speed stability, or at least that was my experiance.

Mark
Old 05-20-2014, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

I got my new tie rods today and they have about 3/16" more threads, per tie rod, so I should have about 3/8" more adjustment. I needed about a 1/4"; so, I should have solved the alignment toe issue. I'll let everyone know after the car gets an alignment.
thanks everyone for all the help, Frank
1982 930, K-27, BL adj. WUR, Rarlyl8 Headers and Hooligan muffler, MSD 6, 22 and 30mm torsion bars, poly bronze bushings 30mm raised spindles and custom valved Bilstein shocks (by Elephant Racing), monoballs front and rear (by Rennline), Alton 17" Fuchs, Fred Cook fuse panel
Old 05-22-2014, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

I took the car to get aligned today and the tech said there were just enough threads to get the front toe right. so to recap; I installed new turbo tie rods that had more threads and the toe was then able to come into spec. I did have to raise the rear 1/2 inch but that was my fault as the rear had settled. I have about 1 degree rake as well.
Thanks to everyone for their help.
1982 930, K-27, BL adj. WUR, Rarlyl8 Headers and Hooligan muffler, MSD 6, 22 and 30mm torsion bars, poly bronze bushings 30mm raised spindles and custom valved Bilstein shocks (by Elephant Racing), monoballs front and rear (by Rennline), Alton 17" Fuchs, Fred Cook fuse panel
Old 05-27-2014, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
good to hear everything worked out . how does she drive now ?

Kozmo
Old 05-27-2014, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

I have not had much of a chance to do much of a drive, 15 miles maybe; but my impressions are as follows.
with the heavier torsion bars, the poly-bronze bushings and re-valved shocks, the ride to me is the same, not harsh at all.
With the rarly8 headers, off boost the car seems to drive nicer and the boost comes on earlier without having to "get on it". I can see the boost come on in first gear between 3000 and 4000, with the stock heat exchangers I really had to push to get any boost in first. I really like how the headers changed the motor. I'll monitor the AFR and adjust as needed, I was a little rich and the headers seem to have leaned it out a little. So the AFRs seem pretty good now.
The alignment really helped the car, I think it must have had an autocross type alignment (toe out?) as the car was twitchy when I used to drive on the autobahn when I was in Germany. I could "feel the front end plant" when turning but it kind of wandered and followed the groves in the road when driving straight lines. So I think I've got a good compromise street/track alignment now.
I'm happy with the changes and it'll take some time to do additional mods (sway bars). I have to keep my wife happy so maybe in a year I'll finish the suspension upgrades, LOL
Old 05-27-2014, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
That really is good news ... I will be putting a set of Brains headers on as soon as I can recover from my latest overhaul . But the suspension news is great to hear seeing how I went down that path changing everything to get a better handling car .
Not that I would admit to doing my speedo a few times (euro gear trans) but it really gets your attention when it is twitchy at speed . Looking forward to hearing more , thanks for posting ...

Kozmo
Old 05-27-2014, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: