Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Large Member

Garage
Kozmon... here's to hopin for the best for ya... and moi!

fukkyah

it's the Pelican way

I fumigated me 16house culdesac neighborhood today for my initial initial shakedown run tonight (won't have a mosquito in Paulland fer 100decadez!). My Boxster neighbor saw me who'd sworn he'd be bringin by the Champagne to celebrate this biitch's cherrypoppin'...

...he came by after I'd posted this BS (@ 12:30) w/ the bottle to celebrate like you said - that it at least ran and I drove it heh heh.

We ensured we christened the fukker accordingly - action (money) shot:

booya! 8-)

| '07 S6 | '98 M3 vert | '01 M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 S8 | '95 S6 6gang | '88 M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 07-10-2014, 11:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #101 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Ronnbannedie just texted me a good thought, one that has me wishing I'd not sent a pointed (bier inspired?) email to said turboseller...

I did have a good oil drip tonight coming from the scavenge pump banjo fitting...

...maybe I've got a scavenge issue and it's not turbo seals?

things that make ya go hmmm (and wishing could retract emailz, fer now!?)

the turbo came out not dripping in oil, but with visible coke and somewhat wetness deep within the turbine - not on the blades, but within the housing

I know I had a thrust issue w/ the SC cams mating to the scavenge pump, and our Chris C sent me a shim to account for the difference. Mebbe I fubar'd that? Dunno how honestly, sorat plug 'n play there.

2:31a.m. thoughts? Oy...

| '07 S6 | '98 M3 vert | '01 M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
Old 07-10-2014, 11:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #102 (permalink)

This probably doesnt mean much to you given where you are right now but I just wanted to point out one thing.

My car has been out of action for the last month due to two snapped taillight housing screws.

Now think about all the work you have done in the last 4 weeks, all the issues you troubleshoot and resolved in 4 weeks. That is exemplary work, there is allot to be positive about. No matter the issue you both keep getting back up.

Turbopalooza or not, credit where credit is due. Keep doing what you doing and to use a aviation phrase, don't do something stupid because you have "get home-a-sitis".

Just my .1.
https://medium.com/@crashingdoor
Old 07-11-2014, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #103 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Volt View Post
This probably doesnt mean much to you given where you are right now but I just wanted to point out one thing.

My car has been out of action for the last month due to two snapped taillight housing screws.

Now think about all the work you have done in the last 4 weeks, all the issues you troubleshoot and resolved in 4 weeks. That is exemplary work, there is allot to be positive about. No matter the issue you both keep getting back up.

Turbopalooza or not, credit where credit is due. Keep doing what you doing and to use a aviation phrase, don't do something stupid because you have "get home-a-sitis".

Just my .1.
A big "HELL YA !" But we can not think sitting at home would be the ultimate bummer while our comrade's have so much fun . So dam close if I can get this thing running this weekend it will be on the dyno next week, that will make my decision for me . Jacob I can only hope Amy takes pity on me , I talked with her about sign up but didn't want to commit until I knew my car would run . Hate to take up someone's time for nothing but track time would be the ticket for a good weekend to calm me down after all this s@@t! TIC-toc-TIC-toc. Kozmo
Old 07-11-2014, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #104 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
thanks Shannon - that actually does mean something...

so Bob @ Durabuilt just returned my call - said Garretts need a restrictor and to start there

source?

encouraging... we'll see... need one stat tho

and, reluctant kudos to Ronnie for making that call via text this morning... said I owe him a hummer... d'oh!

Old 07-11-2014, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #105 (permalink)

Garage
I'm sure he didn't mean a "H2"

That could be good news on the turbo problem , get on it DUDE !

on the way to pick up over boost relay now , dealer just called ....Whewwww ...good be a good weekend after all

TIC-toc-TIC-toc
Kozmo
Old 07-11-2014, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #106 (permalink)

Garage
Ronnie,
At least a birdie you sent via Bob matches the color of Paul's car!!

Kozmo,
That's a bummer to have a little setback with your electrical stuff and the seat. Hope you'll get 'er up and running this weekend!

Paul,
The link to picasaweb is no worky but I can picture it. I'm not sure what type of bearing your turbo is...as others said if it's a BB type then you definitely need a restrictor.

Man...both of you K & P got a lots to do in a few weeks!
Old 07-11-2014, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #107 (permalink)
Boost Abuser

I havn't gone back through the thread but have you checked for the magic ball in the upper oil line under the low pressure switch?It cuts the oil supply after shut down. I had the same problem a few years ago now my car has all it's balls and no smoke.By the way hello all Im still alive!!!!
Old 07-11-2014, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #108 (permalink)

Garage
^^^ Hey hey...welcome back Ben!
Old 07-11-2014, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #109 (permalink)

Garage
Maybe ?

Good to see some feed back once in awhile ... welcome back !

Well loaded with some new electronics and finding out the "EURO" wire differences I may have the last ingredients to get this up and running .
Thanks again Roland for the shop manual PDF , really helped... funny thing about that they are in German but Dennis's wife speaks German ...LOL.. luck on my side for a change.

Off to do some testing ... TIC-toc-TIC-toc

Kozmo
Old 07-11-2014, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #110 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
BEN!

hey dude!

Funny you're here, was for ? reason thinking of you recently around here - go figure. Well, great to see you still around stranger.

A'ight Koz... spill - what's with the cast? D'oh! Great you scored the bits you need - hope they get you to the goal line.

MikeD!... damn on the link - was a vid of my maiden smoky startup... this work (mind you this was cold start smoke... shoulda seen it hot!)?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=picasacid

So, Chris C kindly returned my trivial call today - too cool. He verymuch agreed about the restrictor. Damn I hope it's that. Gave me a snazzy DIY solution I'm going to knockout tomorrow. Buy 1/4 long brass screw/bolt, cut off head, ram down into brass oil tube until it's countersunk, drill out center bore to 0.55-0.60 (1-1.5mm), and Bob's mah uncle. Schweet.

Let's hope that's it folks.

Lastly, a man admits when he's wrong - I feel badly for jumping to the snap conclusion I got a bum unit / boned by the seller. The stress of the process and hurdles and sleep deprivation and kicks in the nutes wore me too thin and it was late and I was frustrated - t'was all. I know better and should act accordingly!

Last edited by krasuskyp; 07-11-2014 at 07:48 PM..
Old 07-11-2014, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #111 (permalink)

Garage
Good to see a man bend over and take it when their wrong...

Oh ya ... had surgery last July and again in January of this year and again just a few weeks ago . I now have some light weight titanium in there so at least no extra weight . Going to doctors Tuesday with steering wheel in hand to make new cast so I can drive my car .

But back on subject all pieces in , pin checked all connections now the next 24 hours of waiting is going to kill me . Mail gets here around 1:00pm tomorrow afternoon with my 14 pin connector that I broke but on a good note got 2 just in case , using the old noggin there .

Keep us updated on that "HOME DEPOT " fix , crossing my fingers for ya

"TIC-toc-TIC-toc"

Kozmo
Old 07-11-2014, 09:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #112 (permalink)
Boost Abuser

Not one to thread hijack but all is well just had to take a few steps back for a bit. The car's still as nasty as ever and hope to be less of a stranger here soon. Ahh memories....
Old 07-12-2014, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #113 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Jack ok ! ... join the fun while we pull our hair out

Trying to pin check everything now before bolting everything in place again . So dam close had to take a break calm down a little

Kozmo
Old 07-12-2014, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #114 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
^lol^

I hear that!

2 steps forward... 12 back - as per me Modus Opperendai...

So, me hardware store didn't have a large enough diameter bolt to fit into the bore of the brass oil feed line to fab a resrtrictor. Fumbling thru the bins there, over me shoulder comes a generally disparaging remark - none other than: AlfaJohn to the rescue! Too funny, go figger.

He's like some sorta apparition I can invoke apparently (BeetlejuiceBeetlejuiceBEETLEJUICE!)?

He brilliantly conjures up this concept: use this flared edge fitting which fits nicely into the line with the flare creating a 'stop' and sufficiently beneath the ball fitting. Then, smelt some solder into the too-big-of-bore and drill ze hole in the nicey softy material. GENIUS! (disclaimer: John credits learning this trick to someone else who pioneer'd it as a solution to a weak Alfa fuel pump to prolong it's usage by creating more pressure).

Exhibit A:

Damn, fingers FIRMLY crossed. Is it just me or does that 1/16" hole seem awfully small? Just following doctor'z orderz!

and then

kerplink!

dropped a turbo nut... down... the open header flange

FUCHMEINTHEGOATASS!!!

so, today not particularly productive... spent a bit of time pulling waste gate and not finding it, using my extendable magnet, using duct tape on a coat hanger... to no avail

awesome

alas... perseverance paid off:

it's shown roughly where I'd found it hanging there on my Lifesaver-shaped (literally?) magnet - friggin PHEW!!! (never, ever underestimate the level of my sheer suckitude! I continue to amaze mesself and surpass previously unfathomable heights of suck!)

Going out now for hopeful turbo / wastegate / muffler install. Wish me luck.

Course I cut a 1" section out of the orange i/c o-ring when I'd fit it the other day... perfect! Never ends.

Koz, pretty slick plugs there - cool the guy rolls his own! Git'rdun!

Old 07-12-2014, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #115 (permalink)

I used a brass jet with .035" hole in it from a nitrous oxide kit I have for my old BMW inside the brass oil feed line to my new ball bearing GSX 61 Garrett turbo.
It slides into the curved brass oil supply tube like you did in your description and picture and it fits perfectly. It goes in about a half inch and stops.

Mike at Turbos Direct told me it should have a 032" oil restrictor and I had this brass jet which is only .002" bigger so I decided to try it.
Seems to be working great because the turbo doesn't smoke at all from getting too much oil and keeps spinning about 15 seconds after shutting off the motor at idle speed.
The turbo spool whistle sounds so nice with no muffler

I made a support bracket similar to yours for the turbo that goes to the top left motor mount bolt out of a piece of steel I had.

Now I have to fabricate a new inlet flange for my B&B muffler with the help of someone that does tig welding so I can mount it to this turbo.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #116 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krasuskyp View Post

What is the melting point of the solder you used?
Old 07-12-2014, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #117 (permalink)

Garage
ouch!ouch!ouch!

News update .... I got everything I need right "WRONG" again everything in place and good spark ...check

and now no pumps " F@&k ME RUNNING "
Back to the test wires all over the car front to back going through everything and now with all safety features back in place find the boost sensor switch is stuck open won't ground like it is suppose to . Ground white wire and wallah ! we have pumps , like you said 1 step forward 2 steps back . More parts come Monday but I think we have it ready to fire now , but have to charge battery to low to fire now

Take a break off to the store to get a beer , I really need a cold one about now

Paul good to hear you close "AGAIN" good save by the way

Kozmo
Old 07-12-2014, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #118 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
I used a brass jet with .035" hole in it from a nitrous oxide kit I have for my old BMW inside the brass oil feed line to my new ball bearing GSX 61 Garrett turbo.
It slides into the curved brass oil supply tube like you did in your description and picture and it fits perfectly. It goes in about a half inch and stops.

Mike at Turbos Direct told me it should have a 032" oil restrictor and I had this brass jet which is only .002" bigger so I decided to try it.
Seems to be working great because the turbo doesn't smoke at all from getting too much oil and keeps spinning about 15 seconds after shutting off the motor at idle speed.
The turbo spool whistle sounds so nice with no muffler

I made a support bracket similar to yours for the turbo that goes to the top left motor mount bolt out of a piece of steel I had.

Now I have to fabricate a new inlet flange for my B&B muffler with the help of someone that does tig welding so I can mount it to this turbo.
Dude ! is that a twin scroll turbo ....Nice unit need to know more

Kozmo
Old 07-12-2014, 11:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #119 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Shiit if I know the melting point of ze solder... werstest case scenario - it melts. And I Mulligan it.

8-)

Kidding ASSide, twas the first Q I posed to Mr. Alfa - he assured me foggettabboudditt. We'll see, I guess.

anywho

Jimboni... damn man, just simply f'n DAYUM. Yer bizness thar is soooooooooo purty! MutherF'er purty. As always. Damn.

Koz... sorry to hear, tho... sounds as if yer trajectory may finally be locked on and tracking?

and

tonight

I gots yer postin - by - 11min! BISH!

This just in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=picasacid

(gawdDAMMIT... 2:44am and I cannot discern how to make ^that^ vid public - annoying / sorry!!!)

long story short - runs nicelike... smokeBEGONE!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

phewfukkinPHEW!!!!

shakedown begins tomorrow, cb/align hopefully Mon/Tue-ish!!!

Last edited by krasuskyp; 07-13-2014 at 05:11 AM..
Old 07-12-2014, 11:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #120 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: