Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

930 Therapy

My 930 was running kinda rough last November and I was pretty sure it was sparkplugs so I bought a set, entered the zen-like state required for working on these cars and made a start.
Got the first one changed ok but dropped the second one fell out of the socket before it was seated. Three days later, after exhausting my vocabulary of swear-words, I got it in and immediately drove it to the mechanics to let the experts finish the job.
As the car hadn't been looked at for a while it was decided it was time for a major service.
Phone-call; the cam-shafts are pitted. We make the call to go for 964 cams.
I decide to give myself a Christmas present and upgrade the intercooler.
Phone-call; when investigating the leak-down on one of the cylinders, the rings have come out in bits and at least one other cylinder is the same. Eventually we decide for 3.4 l pistons and cylinders.
BUT of course, whilst we are doing that we should port the heads! And do this, and that and every other thing that should be done while the engine is in bits.
End result is I haven't driven the car since December. In that time I have separated from my wife, lost my job, sold my house, sold my 951 and lent my bicycle to someone so I have to walk or catch the train.
Surely my mojo has to return with my 930!
Old 05-19-2014, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Dang man, sorry to hear about the wife and job. GL with the 930.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Man that sucks...on the bright side you have the makings of a good country song....
Old 05-19-2014, 09:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Nice, keeping the priorities in order! J/K, I feel for you man, I had a crappy year last year (all in May) turned 40, broke my 930, lost my best bud (dog of 15 years), quit my job after 10 years (ahole boss). A year later new job rocks, my #2 pooch has stepped into the role of best bud, and I'm finally tearing into the 930 (tranny rebuilt, now for engine). I'm dying to get her up and running agin. There is hope, keep the faith brotha!
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car
Old 05-19-2014, 09:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Had to laugh at a couple of those responses. Should also add that my wife kept my dog!!!!!
Old 05-19-2014, 09:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Sounds familiar to me as well. Luckily I still have my 930!

Loss, delight and frustration. Had it all. BUT still the same girlfriend since 7 years

BTW, did not drove it since 2012 due the complete disassembly, rust repair etc..

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 05-20-2014, 01:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Well,

Remember, it is the Wife that makes the 930 look frugal!

I was telling my 19 year old just today that: "If it floats, fly's or "F's", it is cheaper to rent that to own!

Good Luck!

1986 930 Ultra-Smith RUF Slant Nose conversion, RUF VB, K-27 HF-S, B&B Headers and Exhaust, RUF Short Shifter, RUF Interior
Old 05-20-2014, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: