Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
It might just be me, but i think you guys are being blinded by the vast knowledge you have got, and are overcomplicating this -- probably poorly worded -- question.
For many, this would be somewhat simpler by merely stating what turbocharger one has, and then proceed to explain.
I understand why Chris and also Brian may find it difficult to answer, simply because of the fact they have made so many different configs. over the years. However, for some of us who have got only one turbo slapped on at a time, it should be possible to list the turbo, brand, size, config etc, and then layout engine specs and why you made the choice you did, and then describe what performance characteristics it resulted in.
www.stauningwhisky.dk

Last edited by jsveb; 05-21-2014 at 08:21 AM..
Old 05-20-2014, 08:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

I'll give it a shot. Some constraints at the time of the engine build in 2009. Ca. car which had to pass emission & visual inspection.
K27 7006. Was on the car when I bought it.
3.5 Mahle w/stock compression
sc cams
12 plug distributor w/twin cdi boxes
stock heads
stock cis, wur, with all smog stuff in place & working
SSI's
DP intercooler
DP muffler
Tial wastegate
390 fwhp @ .9 boost at around 5500 rpm ( I'll dig out the spec sheet) on J.W. engine dyno
Turbo Kraft just did a complete overhaul on the turbo. Not able to do any mods because it was an old style 3 bolt. Got to try it out today after the 50 mi. break in. Much better, but how much if any h.p. was added I can't tell.
The motor was originally built by Andial. At the time of the J.W. rebuild I wanted to stay with the old school theme and retain the original parts. One of the previous owners had installed JE pistons using Mahle cylinders. We swapped those out for a new set of Mahles.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Ken I wanted to do what u are planning on doing just dirt rocks etc changed my mind. Once done I really like outcome
Old 05-21-2014, 04:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
xbmwguy .... that is a sexy rear!!
Old 05-21-2014, 04:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

I'm going to build a box behind it to house the filter to keep rocks dirt and water out. I saw another thread on here where it was done to a set of upper rear fender vents on a car that had twin turbos. I think they were made by K&N. Any one know what the inlet size is on a gtx67?
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 05-21-2014, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

I focus on 2 key factors when trying to figure out what I want:

1. Boost onset
2. Peak hp

Unfortunately, I have to read Supra's and the 4-cylinder crowd to judge by.

So, a Supra is smaller but has the turbo much closer to the exhaust ports making for a decent comparison with our engines. Not perfect, but useable data.

If a 4-cylinder engine has great boost onset, I know our engines will easily spool the same configuration turbo.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Gumba, those are nice numbers. I wish I was up there, but hardly.

My turbo is a K27 "powerhaus". Once I get my car back I will post as well.

Btw, I have a HX40 (with a billet comp wheel) and a small turbine housing I want to try out. Unfortunately this accident has cost me a six month setback in a busy 18 month period, so I prob won't get it installed, along with a se to BB header I scored for cheap, before I travel back to Denmark after my 4Y stint in the US.

Xbmwguy, it LOOKS FANTASTIC!
www.stauningwhisky.dk

Last edited by jsveb; 05-21-2014 at 08:21 AM..
Old 05-21-2014, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
> K27-7200
> 930/63
> Euro Distributor
> Euro CIS
> SC Cams
> RL8 Intercooler
> Stock 0.75bar Boost by 2700rpm
> RL8 Headers/Muffler
> 360whp / 360tq

> K27-7200
> Same engine only Euro Heat Exchangers
> Stock 0.75bar Boost by 3100rpm
> 300whp / 310tq

The turbo is only one aspect of performance and it's characteristics are very much altered by the other components of the build.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Brian.

Yes, i see an engine as a system comprised of interdependent parts. Change one and the output will be different. The same could be said for the IC or cams as other have mentioned. This does not change the fact that it is still relevant to study these individual component, while realizing it is all interdependent, hence cannot be isolated and necessarily transferred to a different engine (system) and expect the same output.
www.stauningwhisky.dk

Last edited by jsveb; 05-21-2014 at 08:46 PM..
Old 05-21-2014, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

lol.. a plug for his headers. Heck I'd buy some if I could afford them.

Back to turbos, this Borg Warner one looks pretty good but it's not a bolt on. Looks like it might work with some silicone hose adapters and a v-band muffler connection modification and the overstock blowout price with free shipping is attractive.

Borgwarner Airwerks S360 S300 83 75 88 A R Open Scroll Turbocharger | eBay
Old 05-21-2014, 08:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

What a difference the exhaust makes!
Did you do any mods to the cis
Old 05-21-2014, 08:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
The exhaust allows the turbo, and everything else, to work.
That is what I was testing so that is the data collected.
Yes fuel curve and ignition were dialed in very well, not much left on the table.
Anyone who has tried different turbos on the same engine should chime in; having an established baseline will give useful info.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
lol.. a plug for his headers. Heck I'd buy some if I could afford them.

Back to turbos, this Borg Warner one looks pretty good but it's not a bolt on. Looks like it might work with some silicone hose adapters and a v-band muffler connection modification and the overstock blowout price with free shipping is attractive.

Borgwarner Airwerks S360 S300 83 75 88 A R Open Scroll Turbocharger | eBay
I have looked at those as well. I am not too concerned with them not being plug and play, but the T4 flange do bother me some, I'd prefer to stay T3 on that aspect.

I'd would love to try one of their smaller models, just to see how quick a response I'd get.

On occasion there are some really sweet custom ones on ebay, by the sound of it anyways.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 05-21-2014, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

They might have them with T3 hot side housings but probably not at overstock clearance prices.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
I have a system like #2 but mine is a 3.0turbo.
Plus garretson inter cooler. And I have a gt30r Garrett gt3076r.
My choice was for quick spool which I feel the bb is slightly overrated but I do have pretty quick response. I have no baseline as this is the only turbo I used(other than a holset very briefly) but my response is as follows:
Fifth gear (915/61) 1000rpm I have posative pressure, full .8bar by 2750rpm and solid shove all the way from there with no noticeable loss ever. (Up to 6krpm)
In normal driving over 3500rpm the turbo feels connected to the accelerator. Instant response, maybe not as quick as hypo itb na engine but really responsive. No real lag.
I like it. I'm installing water cooling for the jacket and I'll be happy.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrorunner View Post
My choice was for quick spool which I feel the bb is slightly overrated but I do have pretty quick response. I have no baseline as this is the only turbo I used(other than a holset very briefly) but my response is as follows:
Fifth gear (915/61) 1000rpm I have posative pressure, full .8bar by 2750rpm and solid shove all the way from there with no noticeable loss ever. (Up to 6krpm)
In normal driving over 3500rpm the turbo feels connected to the accelerator. Instant response, maybe not as quick as hypo itb na engine but really responsive. No real lag.
What are the specifics of your turbo? I'd like to know how it compares to the HX and BW

Thanks
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 05-23-2014, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Quote:

Quote de quattrorunner

What are the specifics of your turbo? I'd like to know how it compares to the HX and BW

Thanks
Specifics as far as wheel dementions and sizes I really don't know.
.84 on the turbine I think and 61 or so on the compressor. I believe is what I remember. But I don't understand maps and what the sizes and trim really does.
I buy, bolt on and then hope it all works.
The Garrett works, the holset felt fine but there was something wrong with it as it failed quickly. So I antied up and bought a new chra from Chris at Turbokraft since he gave me a killer deal on the replacement even though I munched the original turbo by dropping something inside the compressor pipe.
When the new turbo was still clean and shinny it overpowered my .8bar spring to 1 bar. That was fun.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: