Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
The ULTIMATE turbocharger thread

Turbochargers is a topic I am trying to read up on. Recently several members have posted threads on their latest project. Instead of intruding in their threads, I thought, why not make a new "ultimate" thread in turbochargers.

The idea is to post your pick(s) of preferred 930 candidates and tell us why it is a good choice in accordance with your mods and goals.

I can do no such thing myself as my car is still in the shop after being rear ended almost SIX MONTHS ago, and the struggle with the insurance company is no fun. However, that is a diff and sad story.

My knowledge and experience does not allow me to make solid suggestions, so I will just iniate -- what is intended to be a entertaining debate with no conclusive right or wrongs!!! -Just experience for us all to consider -- with a question. Long sentence, I know

The intent for this thread is to become a go-to resource for when going down the slope.

Example: What do you think about this one, would it suit a 3.3 930, why?

'Sniper' Borg Warner S300 Based Blueprinted Ported Polished Race Turbo | eBay

What did you pick, include exact specs and argue why?
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 05-19-2014, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

I think this needs to be broken down into categories.

Like, possibly the following:

1. 100% stock 930
2. SC cams, headers/exhaust, CIS mods
3. EFI, SC cams, headers/exhaust
4. EFI, 964 cams, headers/ exhaust
5. EFI, GT2 Evo or larger cams, Carrera 3.2 intake, headers/exhaust
6. EFI, huge cams, Xtreme heads, Carrera intake, headers/exhaust

Something like that......
Old 05-19-2014, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Also there is the camp that likes the quickest spool possible versus the blown out of a cannon when boost hit boys. HUGE difference in specs between those characteristics.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Tippy and Rarly, good inputs. If people include why they went with what they did, I hope all of this will be included.
It would be nice to have an evolving guide on what to get
Old 05-20-2014, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I Guess i would be in catgory 6. it will be EFI gt-2 cams Xtreme heads and ITB's and huge headers 3.4l 7.5 to 1 comp ratio.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue

Last edited by Ken911; 05-20-2014 at 11:54 AM..
Old 05-20-2014, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

7. EFI, huge cams, Xtreme heads, headers/exhaust... and ITBs

Factor in compression ratio, too, and displacement...

So many variables.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 05-20-2014, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Some turbine housings have v-band clamp inlets and outlets and some have flat flanges with studs and bolt holes like the K27, and some have v-band clamp connections on the compressor housing.

Maybe someday we'll see street car turbo bearing housings with electric motors/generators built in to keep the turbo spooled up or charge the hybrid power units battery like F1 cars have this year.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKraft View Post
7. EFI, huge cams, Xtreme heads, headers/exhaust... and ITBs

Factor in compression ratio, too, and displacement...

So many variables.
ok guess that makes me a 7 then. And i was told my best bet would be a gtx67 with twin scroll housing. Think there would be a 8th category for twin turbos.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 05-20-2014, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
The topic is too broad as these posts relay. How about a narrow demographic such as CIS engines with stock heads. I would love to see dyno graphs and spec lists of stockish engines to see what folks are getting out of them and what the power curves look like.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I'm a # 5. With semi huge turbo. Meeting up in Melbourne flag with a ms3 tuner that programs their alpha tunes. Me, Dmatera , nocarrier, and one other are heading up on June 7th to learn all the ins and outs of ms3 and get some dyno time with the master. My tune is awesome now but a broken clock is right twice a day.my kids can't understand why dad wants to go to school for a day
Old 05-20-2014, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

How big is your turbo frank? if you have room for a another person to make the trip let me know. I'll have to bring the cayenne since I'm still making parts for the 930.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 05-20-2014, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I guess I'm 2 and a half... 964 cams, headers/exhaust, CIS mods, and ported heads.
Plus I live at sea level and the motor has a new top end.

Tomorrow a new MSD digital 6al goes in to replace the old one that decided not to work here anymore last week. I have to thank good man xbmwguy for towing me home.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Het ken. Should be no problem. Call me tomorrow and I'll give you details. Turbo is a gt4094 with a billet wheel. Flows like a gt42. I ran 3 1/2 up behind rear wheel and into engine bay ala nocarrier. Turned out great, just hated cutting the hole........oh well
Old 05-20-2014, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

ok i'll call around 4 that ok?
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 05-20-2014, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Yep
Old 05-20-2014, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

"just hated cutting the hole........oh well"

I came across this pic I saved a couple years ago of that being done... I think it's our man Chris at TurboKraft but I'm not sure.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken911 View Post
ok guess that makes me a 7 then. And i was told my best bet would be a gtx67 with twin scroll housing. Think there would be a 8th category for twin turbos.
Yeah, I wasn't going to put twins out there.
I still think that a billet 67 would be really fun on your build -- responsive, medium frame size for easier packaging, yet able to deliver the numbers you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbmwguy View Post
I'm a # 5. With semi huge turbo.
Isn't it funny that to the Asian imports, that isn't such a huge turbo? :-)

Fairman -- how 'bout this one? V-band clamps on twin inlets and twin outlets, single turbo.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
"just hated cutting the hole........oh well"
I came across this pic I saved a couple years ago of that being done... I think it's our man Chris at TurboKraft but I'm not sure.
That's Mike, our fearless master tech, boring a 3" hole in Lincoln's inner fender. Later enlarged to 3.5".
Tom's UBER930 got a 4" hole saw poked through her: Air Intake Feed Pipe
Old 05-20-2014, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Thats freakin wild.. I'm guessing that's a current day F1 motor?

Looks like a multiplate dry clutch would fit on that tiny little flywheel.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

i'm doing mine in the lower rear fender extension. Making a vent similar to the ones in the front of the fender. I found a FG version on the better bodeis website. Was planning on making a copy out of steel. So no holes in the body.
930 Turbo Rear Bumper Extensions
05 Cayenne S lapis blue

Last edited by Ken911; 05-20-2014 at 07:05 PM..
Old 05-20-2014, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: