Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Very well worded ad gunshow - I presume you were happy with the selling price?

Old 05-30-2014, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to VZ935
If it helps.. I recently purchased a US 86 original paint and interior 40,000 mile car two owner documented everything waaay under $60,000. My car is pristine
Old 05-31-2014, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

The Porsche has been towed on a flatbed to Truspeed Motor Cars in Costa Mesa. They are flushing the gas / oil, taking care of the battery.... and have done what it has needed to get the engine running. I will have FULL details on what they have done to the car to get it running in a day or two. This car is for sale still, sorry I haven't posted for a while as it took us a while to get the title and car to the shop.

Please feel free to ask any questions and if you are wanting to come take a look at it we can setup a time. (original steering wheel was also put back on the car... the one pictured in this thread will be staying with us as a momento)
Old 08-28-2014, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by josholand View Post
The Porsche has been towed on a flatbed to Truspeed Motor Cars in Costa Mesa. They are flushing the gas / oil, taking care of the battery.... and have done what it has needed to get the engine running. I will have FULL details on what they have done to the car to get it running in a day or two. This car is for sale still, sorry I haven't posted for a while as it took us a while to get the title and car to the shop.

Please feel free to ask any questions and if you are wanting to come take a look at it we can setup a time. (original steering wheel was also put back on the car... the one pictured in this thread will be staying with us as a momento)
Truspeed are good guys, I was just in there two weeks ago. You're in good hands... I would consider letting them consign the car and taking care of the sale for you.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedSlantnose View Post
I didn't know a 930 could last over 200,000 miles. Good to know, but of course it's a Porsche, so they're made to last

Considering how it has a ton of miles on it, it's most likely worth less than $50,000, but definitely more than $20,000.
Mmmm
Ive seen cars with low 30k miles and theyre rust buckets or full of bog and fg

Condition is #1 to judge value and if above car has no rust and matching numbers then its a 70k car easy.

Would you buy a 930 if it had low miles but rusted floorpan and panels?
I wouldn't.,

But id buy a well kept original car regardless of miles..

Plus So many people (restore) their cars with parts they buy from Porsche or wherever, and show off their car cos they've replaced every part with a new one,
but whats the point of that?
But even though their parts might be original oem they are not original to the car, they were not put on the car by a Porsche worker in Stuttgart many years ago.

Many prospective purchasers overlook this and believe the lower mileage the better.

I find the most important to have a car with all the parts possible still installed and choose to restore the part and put it back in rather than replace it unless its broken or irreparable of course, but as yet personally ive been lucky and my Daily Driver 930 maintains 99.9 percent of its original parts and is turning 38 next month and done a quarter of a million kays, and drives like new still.

My two cents
Old 08-29-2014, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

lol@17k

From what you said here I would put the bottom of pricing in the 30s. Personally I like higher mile cars through. What hurts you and keeps this from being a 50-60K car is the re-spray to a non-original color (no matter how good a job it may have been). The second thing is running issues.

Personally I would put some time and money into getting it running well, it will pay off double when you do list it.
https://medium.com/@crashingdoor
Old 08-29-2014, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Garage
I just sold a friends 79 and my 86 at Mecum in Monterey. For this to be a 60-70 dollar car it must have the following based on what I have seen at both Mecum and the open market

Important
A) Low mileage - if the car has over 50,000 it doesn't command top dollar
B) Original paint - buyers would rather have a 7 original paint than a 10 respray. Original color is a must. Black and Red cars bring the most with silver right there too.
C) original - pull the $10,000 after market stereo you put in back in 1988 and put in the used 200 Monterey with original speakers.
D) Records that substantiate mileage.
E) Bottom line is bone stock is what buyers want.

Helps
A) single owner or two owner cars.
B) Tools, compressor, jack factory books- buyers love this

Problem
A) your Koklen or Andial aftermarket intercooler may look cool and be better than stock but not to buyers. That stock intercooler you wanted 200 bucks for five years ago and ultimately couldn't give away is golden to a turbo.

B) The cool aftermarket steering wheels

C) The C2 style wheels you put on the car back in the late 80's or $7,000 HRE's. Factory Fuchs are golden

D) non stock exhaust . Buyers want to see factory original tail pipes

E) After market stereo's and alarms

The color change and mileage hurt this car a lot.. this is not a 17,000 car now but it was 5 years ago, however it is not a 35,000 car today either based on what I have seen. But one never knows...

My opinion nickel opinion
Old 08-29-2014, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pputkowski View Post
Truspeed are good guys, I was just in there two weeks ago. You're in good hands... I would consider letting them consign the car and taking care of the sale for you.
Thanks for the feedback... we are actually seeing if truspeed wants to purchase the car. We still don't know what we are selling it for as everyone knows this is a touchy subject and depends on quite a bit.

Thanks everyone else for your input and replies too, the car is running now but for anybody buying this car I would imagine you plan on putting more money into it after purchasing. We were told to not let it go for less than $30k I'm thinking we might ask in the mid 30's. We are still waiting to hear something back from Truspeed today about the car and if they are interested in buying it.

stay tuned if you are interested in the car or curious of what it goes for.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

I just found out from Truspeed that the gas is jelled in the tank.. (original tank) and there is some corrosion in there. So they want to clean the tank all out and then put some sort of inside coating to protect it from further corrosion.. They want $900 dollars for this. Anyone have some feedback on this, do you think we should do this to sell the car? They already got the car to turn over. Thanks for the help and input!
Old 08-29-2014, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

There are cheaper options, ie: doing the work yourself or sourcing a good used tank for a couple hundred dollars. That said, I think that spending $900 now will net you much more come sale time. As others have pointed out you'd be wise to have it running well before you sell. GLWTS
Old 08-29-2014, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

I would consider what else the car "needs" to be a runner/driver and ready for sale. If 900 bucks is all thats in the way then I would do it. If there is still work to be done to figuring out why it kept shutting down (a problem talked about in great detail here in other threads) then I would weigh that into the cost and make decision to do all or nothing.
https://medium.com/@crashingdoor
Old 08-29-2014, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkabush View Post
There are cheaper options, ie: doing the work yourself or sourcing a good used tank for a couple hundred dollars. That said, I think that spending $900 now will net you much more come sale time. As others have pointed out you'd be wise to have it running well before you sell. GLWTS
Thanks we will look around for a used tank, maybe that is a good alternative...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Volt View Post
I would consider what else the car "needs" to be a runner/driver and ready for sale. If 900 bucks is all thats in the way then I would do it. If there is still work to be done to figuring out why it kept shutting down (a problem talked about in great detail here in other threads) then I would weigh that into the cost and make decision to do all or nothing.
It does have other work it needs done to it to be in Driving condition... Tires all need replaced, rotors are all rusted, and some other work. including the gas tank all the work to have it running will cost us about $2,500 - 3,000
Old 08-29-2014, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Still money well spent unless someone can buy and DIY and realize it was well cared for before long period of non use and factor that in their offer. Truspeed offer will most likely be lower as they will charge against the car retail dollars for the repairs and sales effort using their cash flow until sold. You and the DIY buyer do not need to look at this as a business situation. Good luck in finding it a good new owner if you decide to let it go.

Last edited by voitureltd; 08-29-2014 at 10:04 AM..
Old 08-29-2014, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Garage
You can buy a new tank right from Pelican for 435 dollars.... or take the old tank to a radiator shop to have it cleaned and as long as it is not rusted your good
Old 08-29-2014, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Alright we got off the phone with Truspeed... we are not going to sell it to them but we are going to have them do the work on it... They are re-lining the gas tank... takes about 5 days to do they said. Also getting all the rusted rotors in working order, basics like oil change, gas flush, new battery, fluids flushed / changed, original steering wheel put back on, some cheap used tires so it can be driven when serious buyers come check the car out. The car will be ready in a few weeks (2-3) We are looking for serious buyers mid - late September until we find the new owner.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

****UPDATE**** for anyone interested...

Truspeed is done with the Porsche.. they:

*flushed ALL lines
*all new fluids
*rotors machined (rust gone etc)
*pulled gas tank and relined (pricey $900 but it's the original tank so that's good no corrosion)
*new battery
*original steering wheel back on
*wipers and rear view mirror back on

total was $3,121 for repairs

They said the turbo needs rebuilt because it is leaking oil and blowing black smoke estimate - $2,000-2,500 from truspeed (we decided to not fix the turbo and let that be up to the buyer)

The car starts and runs fine. We have a few people interested in the car at the moment and expect many more wanting to come check it out.

This car was shipped to the states in 84.... my dad is the original owner since then and has ALWAYS spent good money at reputable mechanics to keep his baby in great condition. Obviously it was well loved seeing there is 229,000 miles on it. Please anybody with interest to come take a look at the car who is serious PM me... Please don't make low ball offers (low ball to us means anything below $30,000 If you wouldn't or won't pay $30,000 dollars then it won't work out. We already have a serious buyer who would have paid $30,000 for it as is BEFORE we put $3,121 into it. Thanks for all the help and info here and please let us know if you want to take a look at the car and are a serious buyer.

OH yes... the car will be back from the shop on Friday so we will have it in our garage this coming Friday

Last edited by josholand; 10-02-2014 at 11:11 AM..
Old 09-30-2014, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
Checked out

Has it been on Non-Op with the DMV?

If not, with that last tag from 2007, it will be tough to sell to a Californian, there will be thousands in late fees and penalties that need to be paid before it can be registered.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
Has it been on Non-Op with the DMV?

If not, with that last tag from 2007, it will be tough to sell to a Californian, there will be thousands in late fees and penalties that need to be paid before it can be registered.

It was Non-op.... and current registration fees have been paid for. Required for registration to be complete is the smog check only..
Old 10-01-2014, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Wow! How did you get to $3121.00 from $900.00 from those few things you listed?
GLWS...
Old 10-01-2014, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speednme1 View Post
Wow! How did you get to $3121.00 from $900.00 from those few things you listed?
GLWS...
I don't know... I guess I can tell you when I see the invoice. :] I may have missed a few things and don't forget.... Mechanics are in the business to make money not to come out even and ignore their families interest of food, clothing, and shelter

Old 10-01-2014, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: