Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1983 Original owner 930/911 turbo imported from Europe FOR SALE

I don't know if I am in the right place or not but if this isn't the appropriate place for this post mod please move it and I am sorry.

My father purchased this 1983 930 Porsche in 1984 from someone who had it for 10k miles or so. My dad has had it ever since and has used it quite a bit since then. It has sat in our drive way for 9 of the years without being driven.. It has been parked since 2007 until now not driven either. My dad has babied this vehicle and taken well care of it throughout the years. He has had 2 paint jobs both of which he had the whole car taken apart (doors off, engine out etc..) spent 7-8k on paint jobs each time. He has rebuilt the motor and put a new turbo in it 12-13 years ago.

He stopped driving the car in 2007 because the car would turn off randomly once a week or once every few weeks for no apparent reason.. He took it to a porsche mechanic to work on the issue but it kept happening so he stopped driving it. It is an electrical issue so that needs to be trouble shot. Mechanically the car is in great working order other than it needs the gas flushed, plugs changed?, oil changed, and new tires/battery. I will post pictures of the car in an hour or so. The odometer says 229k miles. My dad has passed away and my mother is the one selling his car. We are getting an idea of what it's worth and seeing if ANYONE here can help us or point us in the right direction selling this Grey market collectors dream :b

We got a paper from AAA from NADA saying 1983 porsche 930 turbo carrera low - $33,200 Average - 42,400 and High retail - $53,600

Can anybody help point me in the right direction on how to get what this car is worth? We have this really persistent guy telling us he will give $17,000 for it but that is NOT going to happen... I know it's worth more than that obviously. Thanks for any info. given, we really appreciate it. Here is a picture

Last edited by josholand; 05-26-2014 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: adding pictures but will add more pictures in a while. Please let me know of ANY pics you want me to take of the car...
Old 05-26-2014, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Old 05-26-2014, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Is that 229k Miles or KM?
Old 05-26-2014, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

it is 229k miles Car has had a rebuilt motor and new turbo about 13 years ago... has been parked for 7 years
Old 05-26-2014, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Given that the car has not been driven in ~7 years I find it hard to believe that it will be ok mechanically. With the high mileage, multiple re-paints, current mechanical condition, etc I believe the car is somewhere in the $25-$30k range.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
More info may help. Does it turnover? Original engine? Original paint colour? Interior condition? Beautiful car. I think it'll be hard to value as it has sat for so long, but more info will help.

I agree, it is worth more than 17k.
1977 930 Turbo Carrera Black on Red #411
1987 951 Black on Black - sold to make room for the 930
1972 911 2.7 - I regret selling her every single day....
Old 05-26-2014, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pputkowski View Post
Given that the car has not been driven in ~7 years I find it hard to believe that it will be ok mechanically. With the high mileage, multiple re-paints, current mechanical condition, etc I believe the car is somewhere in the $25-$30k range.

Thanks for the reply! It was parked and last time it was parked it started and worked fine (other than the fact there is an electrical problem that shorts out randomly once a week or once a month, it was very random) So considering that it worked and started up 7 years ago I just figured it would need the obvious work done to get it started again eg... gas flush, plugs?, oil changed, and new battery... and anything else that would need replaced due to sitting for 7 years... Is multiple repaints a bad thing?
Old 05-26-2014, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Is very busy

Garage
I didn't know a 930 could last over 200,000 miles. Good to know, but of course it's a Porsche, so they're made to last

Considering how it has a ton of miles on it, it's most likely worth less than $50,000, but definitely more than $20,000.

1987 930 Slantnose Cabriolet, 545 hp, Guards Red- Weekend cruiser
1986 944 Turbo (951), 350+hp, Guards Red- Track car
2005 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4x4, stock 282 hp, Silver- Daily driver
Old 05-26-2014, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komenda Fan View Post
More info may help. Does it turnover? Original engine? Original paint colour? Interior condition? Beautiful car. I think it'll be hard to value as it has sat for so long, but more info will help.

I agree, it is worth more than 17k.

Yes it is the original motor... The paint color is silver now, original paint color was grey.. He did spend A LOT on re-painting though so it wasn't a mickey mouse paint job... They painted the entire car, engine bay, etc... took the car apart. Doors off engine out etc.. You don't see any factory color in or on the body, bay or inside the car. It doesn't turn over due to the fact that my mom hasn't taken it to get a new battery, oil changed, gas flushed.... I suggested that to her to get the car RUNNING to sell it which might cost whatever all it takes to get a car that has been sitting for 7 years... ($1,000 - $2,000 to get it running?) It turned over 7 years ago when it was parked... Obviously it doesn't now until the basics get taken care of battery/gas/oil..

Thank you for the reply
Old 05-26-2014, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedSlantnose View Post
I didn't know a 930 could last over 200,000 miles. Good to know, but of course it's a Porsche, so they're made to last

Considering how it has a ton of miles on it, it's most likely worth less than $50,000, but definitely more than $20,000.
Thanks for the reply! My dad always took great care of it and paid a reputable Porsche mechanic to handle all maintenance as well as the rebuild and new turbo install.. He put a lot of money to keep it going for all those years because he LOVED the car. He kept it stock and fixed it as needed over the last 23 years (7 years it sat with nothing done to it)
Old 05-26-2014, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
So the spedo was changed to a USA spec. What is the condition of the under carriage? If the car is free from rust and no major repairs and no filler on the body, engine checked over, interior in good shape probably closer to $30k as a starting point.

Draining out the fuel and changing fuel filter is a good start.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908/930 View Post
So the spedo was changed to a USA spec. What is the condition of the under carriage? If the car is free from rust and no major repairs and no filler on the body, engine checked over, interior in good shape probably closer to $30k as a starting point.

Draining out the fuel and changing fuel filter is a good start.
Crap i don't know what the cond. of the under carriage is... I guess the speedo was changed to a USA spec... I will post more pictures in a few minutes... waiting for them to get into my email. There is very few spots on the body with rust... 2 spots with rust about 1/2" on the hood/trunk. Thank you for your time, I do appreciate it.. pictures will be uploaded in 10 minutes..
Old 05-26-2014, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Any Porsche 930 is hot right now. I've seen some rollers go for more than most quote here for a value. I'd suggest putting it up on Ebay with as much information as possible and see what happens. You can always put up a high reserve and feel safe. At least you'd know what people are willing to bid for it in its current condition without you having to folk out loads of money to get it sorted out. Worth a try, IMHO.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

The selling price will be based on the repair price. It would be worth taking it to a Porsche mechanic (you may get a good recommendation from someone here based on where you live) to get it checked out. If the seals are shot due to sitting you could be looking at $5,000 +/- for a re seal. If it's too expensive for you to repair then you can list the issues that need addressing. But, you'll be better off if it's running when you go to sell it. This would be a great driver for someone, worth fixing up.

Hey Jason, There's a guy who's got a '76 (I think) with over 600K miles. Excellence did a write up a few years back.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Old 05-26-2014, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Old 05-26-2014, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Old 05-26-2014, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcoker View Post
Any Porsche 930 is hot right now. I've seen some rollers go for more than most quote here for a value. I'd suggest putting it up on Ebay with as much information as possible and see what happens. You can always put up a high reserve and feel safe. At least you'd know what people are willing to bid for it in its current condition without you having to folk out loads of money to get it sorted out. Worth a try, IMHO.
Thank you and great idea! Maybe I will have my mom let me post it on ebay and we can see what it might go for. Appreciate it!
Old 05-26-2014, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumba View Post
The selling price will be based on the repair price. It would be worth taking it to a Porsche mechanic (you may get a good recommendation from someone here based on where you live) to get it checked out. If the seals are shot due to sitting you could be looking at $5,000 +/- for a re seal. If it's too expensive for you to repair then you can list the issues that need addressing. But, you'll be better off if it's running when you go to sell it. This would be a great driver for someone, worth fixing up.

Hey Jason, There's a guy who's got a '76 (I think) with over 600K miles. Excellence did a write up a few years back.
Thanks for the reply and info! I'm trying to convince her to just pay the 1-2k to get the car running before selling so the buyer knows it runs. I am confident we can get it running for around that price so I think that is a smart move. Thanks for the time, reply and info!
Old 05-26-2014, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
I would not put a new battery in or try to start it at all until after you flatbed that car over to a reputable Porsche mechanic and get the OK from him/her.

Beautiful car, please don't run the risk of seizing the engine.

Old 05-26-2014, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: