Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

WTB - Vacuum advance

Anyone have a good distributor vacuum module they are looking to get rid of for an 86? The retard side of mine is working but not the advance. The irony is not lost on me.

Sent from 1986
https://medium.com/@crashingdoor
Old 05-27-2014, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Ronnie wanted me to post this.
Pelican Parts - European Automotive Parts and Accessories - Porsche BMW Mercedes Volkswagen Audi Saab Volvo MINI
It's available on pelican.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

It comes and goes availability wise. Last time they said it was in stock it really wasn't. And I was hoping not to get dinged for two hundoes.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2014, 10:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
lolzorz... Ronnie-by-banproxy

d'oh / ha!

Shannon... no comment regarding the irony, beyond bwha!

good luck

| '07 S6 | '98 M3 vert | '01 M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 S8 | '95 S6 6gang | '88 M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 05-28-2014, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Haha
Old 05-28-2014, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I have a 1987 distributor pot I may be selling. The outer side vacuum nipple that does vacuum advance and boost retard works good. I've checked it with a mighty vac and watched the stator winding plate move clockwise or counterclockwise inside the dstributor from it's rest position when applying vacuum or positive pressure to just the outer nipple. This is the only part of the vacuum pot that is really important if you don't go to programmable ignition with a MAP sensor.

The inner side nipple on the vacuum pot that ONLY does vacuum retard for raising exhaust temperature to heat up the catalytic converter between idle and around 1800 rpms to pass EPA emissions leaks a little so it doesn't work. I have checked it with a mighty vac to verify this.

Anyway I havn't decided if I'm removing it until i know if I can find a new one for a reasonable price. They are very hard to find.

Pelican can't get them from any of their suppliers anymore. Sunset says they can get them special order but then they are around $270. Just not worth it to me at that price... I might as well get a programmable curve MSD ignition box and a MAP sensor if it gets that expensive.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrorunner View Post
Hey guys, I'm too busy loosing money at work to be the middleman for your romantic banter!
He was banned for a while?

I sure was sick of reading his nausiating comments towards Paul and sure don't miss coming across it in various threads.
It was really lowering the quality of this forum and I'm sure others were sick of it too. Maybe he'll man up and stop it in the future.

He's probably a good person, in person... at least I hope so.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
He was for a short period. He's a good guy and helpful to many. You need a part number. he'll track it down like a hound dog till you have it safely in your possession.
He'll be back. And we'll be glad to have his help.
Inappropriate? absolutely, he's Ronnie.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

So maybe I am confused, I thought one side did advance under vacuum and one side does retard when under positive manifold pressure?

When mine was checked out I was told the off idle advance was not working but retard was?
Old 06-03-2014, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Mine is an '87 and according to the thick folder of receipts I got with the car the distributor was replaced by the previous owners mechanic with a new distributor for an '87 years ago when they were available. It was expensive too.

I don't know if your '86 has the same one but it probably does. My car was sctually built in 1986 as an '87 model.
You may not have an '86 distributor in yours unless you check the part number or you are the original owner of the car and know it's repair history.

All I can say is I know what I wrote for my '87 distributor is correct because I have had the the distributor completely apart twice so I know the mechanical insides of it and I've checked operation of each side of the dual pot emissions distributor with vacuum and positive pressure from a dual action mighty vac tool and watched what it did. It's simple to prove it by doing that.

Different years are different so there is no way of actually knowing what you have unless you test it yourself.
My distributors vacuum retard pot leaks now so that function is not working. Idle speed ignition advance is a little higher because of that and that makes idle speed a little higher.
I just turned the idle speed air bypass screw on the throttle body to get idle speed back down to 800 rpms where I like it and I may just leave it like that permanantly.

I did find one place in the USA that has one new dual pot vacuum canister in stock for an '87 but they want around $275 for it and I'm not paying that for one. So as long as the vacuum advance/boost retard side of the one I have works I'll just leave it like that.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the info.

Next question is just what is involved with replacing the canister, you need to pull the distributer etc? I dont do small springs and delicate bits very well.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Yes, you have to remove the distributor. Two little screws hold the vacuum pot on to the side of the distributor body and the arm goes inside and fits over a steel tab on a pivoting advance/retard plate inside of it.
I can't remember if there was an E clip or tiny snap ring on it or not. I think it just fit over the tab.
The distributor is not hard to take apart. A 10 mm nut under the oil felt in the top middle part, some snap rings on the rotating center shaft and 3 philips head screws down in the bottom gets most of the guts out. The centrifical advance weights are down on the bottom part.
The springs are tricky and there's an oval steel cover plate that presses into the side you pry out to fiddle with the springs to very carefully unhook them or hook them back on when putting it back together. You can also adjust the total amount of centrifical advance from there when you learn how. It's too hard to describe in text how to do that but you just bend two tabs inward or outward that the centrifical advance weights swing out to and stop against at around 3000 crankshaft rpms or 1500 distributor rpms

I can't remember all the little steps but it helps to clamp the drive gear and shaft in a bench vise in between two blocks of soft wood to hold it while working on it. Theres a little tiny pin that fits in a slot in the center shaft you have to be real careful not to loose.
You just go slow and careful and it's not too bad. Putting it back together you have to get the stator plate perfectly centered with the reluctor star shaped magnetic things just right with 3 feeler gauges 120 degrees apart while tightening down the 3 philips head screws in the bottom.
I have a hard time remembering the correct names of the parts like stator and reluctor.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
I sure was sick of reading his nausiating comments towards Paul and sure don't miss coming across it in various threads.
It was really lowering the quality of this forum and I'm sure others were sick of it too. Maybe he'll man up and stop it in the future.

He's probably a good person, in person... at least I hope so.

I wasn't going to offer a direct response to this garbage, but have decided that it is just too personal, ignorant, and full of stink to ignore.

Jim, I find it curious that you would choose unprovoked, public ridicule and character questioning as a means to make a point regarding your thoughts on forum etiquette and devaluation (not to mention doing so when you were well aware that I was in no position to offer a response - speaking of "maning up") - congratulations on exhibiting two of the qualities that you so strongly criticize me for! I'm not too surprised, though, as this is hardly the first time that you have shown serious deficits in both humor and decorum.

Pot, meet kettle . . . and pin a rose on yourself while you're at it.

PS: thanks Brandon!

PSS: Shannon, sorry for further stinking up your thread, but I decided it wasn't right to sit passively by and let Jim's criticism go unanswered.

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 06-03-2014 at 10:36 PM..
Old 06-03-2014, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Make America Great Again!

I'm with Ronnie on this. I think it would be more appropriate to discuss differences in "style/content" in private, before announcing to the world that a person is annoying and you're glad they're gone.
Jim, I don't know you at all, but Ronnie has valid criticisms about your reply. Maybe you're just slightly homophobic. Paul seems to like Ronnie's comments and Ron likes Paul's. Personally I like that kind of humor.... MTC.

Rich
Old 06-04-2014, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
holycrap

a guy switches jobs once in 18yrs (and went to F1 Montreal muwaha) and he goes and misses all the soap opery? Geesh shame on me!

Jimbo... Lighten up, Francis 8-)

I'll say that I thoroughly enjoy receiving a good ribbing and many laughs @ my expense about the same as I do dishing it out - it passes the time

however

I'll add

I dunno how or why I got roped into Ronnie's sights, but I did. And I dished it back. And it's usually (usually) funny.

I will say some of it (some) did come across a bit thick and distasteful for likely many, and when it did I defffffffffinitely drew back from it. Not my thing. Esp. the homobits. Prob offending all sorts 'o fahgs here! (I keed).

alas, it's (mostly) all in good fun

tho seems Ronnie pissed someone off and earned himself a timeout in the corner mit Dunce Cap. D'oh / ha!

let's dial it down from 11 to say... 9.7?

OK ladies, back to our irregularly unscheduled deprogramming...

| '07 S6 | '98 M3 vert | '01 M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 S8 | '95 S6 6gang | '88 M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 06-09-2014, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by krasuskyp View Post
I dunno how or why I got roped into Ronnie's sights, but I did
Simply because I could tell that you have an unusually entertaining sense of humor and do not easily take offence to silliness.

Quote:
I will say some of it (some) did come across a bit thick and distasteful for likely many . . .
That seems like an easy fix for those with a low tolerance for even lower humor - don't read suspect posts.

Quote:
. . . tho seems Ronnie pissed someone off and earned himself a timeout in the corner mit Dunce Cap. D'oh / ha!
Ha! Yep, the Dunce Cap earnage came by way of my involvement in one of the many "Worship Magnus" threads in the 911 forum . . . several members, including yours truly, were poking fun at the Magnus fanboys and I guess the jokes weren't appreciated by some of the overly sensitive types that perhaps saw some truth in them - hardy har har!

Quote:
. . . let's dial it down from 11 to say... 9.7?
I've got yer 9.7 right har, bub!!!!!

PS - congrats and good luck with yer new job, and FU for bragging about the F1 trip (bisch)!!!!!

PSS - Paul, as always, I will leave you with a warm sentiment of brotherhood (this time from one of my favorite bands)!!!

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 06-09-2014 at 09:48 PM..
Old 06-09-2014, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: