Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Slip Clutch

My Euro 930 only had 5K kms on the new clutch change (pressure plate was reused) and yesterday while trying to over take with boost come in at 3rd gear, the engine suddenly rapped up and the car is not moving faster with the clutch smell badly. On the next stop, try moving 1 gear to boost, 2 nd gear to boost no problem. 3 and 4 gear to boost, it slipped again at boost. Wonder why it will not slip moving off at 1st. Try the hand brake method with car in 1st gear and it would not slip. Why only on 3rd and 4th?
Old 05-27-2014, 11:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Because 3rd and 4th are less mechanically advantaged (higher gear ratios) and pushing a car at a lot higher speeds where wind resistance grows greater and greater.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I had the same problem. Your clutch is not holding. What clutch did you go with?
Old 05-28-2014, 08:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

It was not original equipment. I believed it was a power Friction clutch plate. Looks like I would have to change the clutch plate. I was thinking of going with the Kennedy light weight set which I read good things about it in this forum. Any suggestion?
Old 05-30-2014, 04:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Are you certain you don't have the clutch cable incorrectly adjusted, as in too tight? Even though you have a relatively new clutch disc, it's always a good idea to have the flywheel resurfaced in my opinion, to get rid of glazed areas that can reduce the friction needed to grip properly. Third gear slipping is normally where you'll notice the slipping, as Tippy mentioned. KEP clutch worked great for me, their basic stage 1.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Actually the slip happened after I adjusted the nut to the level to have a bigger gap as I felt the factory recommandation was a bit too tight. I did the adjustment as I find it 50% of the time when stationery, I have a hard time to get it in 1st Gear. I have to move to 2nd or 3rd declutch and then try 1st again and this seems to work. If the car rolls a bit, not a problem getting to 1st. All other gear is not a problem.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: