Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Brando

Garage
Wheel color

I realize this isn't a boutique forum but I like wheels and I don't all black. no offence I know I'm the odd one......
So this is a similar color I think I'll go with on the color of the car but what are the opinions on the wheel color? Maybe less metalic. Am I stupid?

basicly I like this combo for my 930
Old 05-29-2014, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Too modern?
Old 05-29-2014, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Just my .02 The wheel color should accent the car color, not overpower it. The grey is so sutle, compared to the red wheels, checked graphics, mirrors/tail, in that order.

As a test. Close your eyes for 15-20 sec. When you open them, where do your eyes go first?
Old 05-29-2014, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Mirror.
But I only want the wheels colored. No graphics
Old 05-29-2014, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
I could go either way...some times contrast is good, sometime compliment is good.

I'm with you on the all black wheels though, never cared much for that look, solid black wheels always seems to make the wheels "look" heavy. Maybe I'm just wierd?

I went with the compliment look for mine, black car, anthricite wheel centers with clear anodized aluminum rims and black lug nuts.

I've seen a black car with anodized "copper" Fikse wheels, and that looked good. I've seen a black car with bright "lime" green wheels, and believe it or not...it looked good too.

So to each their own, just please yourself, and the heck with what others think.

Mark
Old 05-29-2014, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Banned

Braaaaannnndoooooonnnnnn!!!!!

I like the contrasting wheel color idea - something "different" and I don't pay any mind to the "your eyes are drawn to it too much" idea (well, except for oversized, pimpin wheels on these tiny cars that is - booom)! edit - except for Mark/Full Quack, because he's got it like that!

And I don't think it looks too modern at all. In fact, it reminds me of the 914 Special Edition that Porsche offered in 1974 (contrasting colored wheels, rockers and front and rear valences), so actually very retro in appearance. I have considered doing this with my white Turbo - maybe red wheels, rockers and valences - no time soon, but something I have thought about) I realize you are only talking about the wheels, however.

***DANGER DANGER - light humor, aimed at a bud that appreciates and returns it in kind, to follow - sticks in the mud and judgmental types should either avert their eyes or take some dimenhydrinate in order to stave off potential nausea (see the "vacuum module wanted" thread for clarification)! ***

I've always had an errrr, ummmmm soft spot for the 914 (have owned two of them - first Porsche for me back in my very early 20s) even if they are slower than Paul following his 3-times-daily shots of Thorazine in the "you know where"!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 05-29-2014 at 01:55 PM..
Old 05-29-2014, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Brando

Garage
Yeah I'm liking it too.
I have to paint them somehow as the lips are getting less than polishy.
Maybe even all gold.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Banned

Brandon, do you paint (I mean besides "painting" various engine/car parts with JB Weld )? I ask, because if do, do you use PPG acrylic urethane for "important" finishes? I have decades of experience with automotive finishes, and have found that to be about the best, toughest, and most fade resistant stuff out there.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
I would have them low temp powdercoated
Old 05-29-2014, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Is very busy

Garage
Red wheels on a gray 930 would look pretty unique, but I wouldn't go with the wheels in the photos, they'd be too big I like the all-black look as well.

1987 930 Slantnose Cabriolet, 545 hp, Guards Red- Weekend cruiser
1986 944 Turbo (951), 350+hp, Guards Red- Track car
2005 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4x4, stock 282 hp, Silver- Daily driver
Old 05-29-2014, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrorunner View Post
I would have them low temp powdercoated
Don't powder coat. Not needed and restricts your choices. Prep your wheels well and you can shoot any color you want. I have two Porsches running for years with no problems.
Obviously I'm not talking rattle can.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Im waiting for someone to photoshop this onto a 930. I feel like it could look awesome with the right wheel choice.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Brando

Garage

These are the wheels. They're getting wider of course. Fenders are stretching as we speak.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Forgive me for the blasphemy, but if you're not decided on color, plastidip them then when you've grown accustomed, get them painted or powder coated. Don't leave it on too long, i hear it has issues coming off paint when it's on too long (years).
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car
Old 05-29-2014, 10:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
To my eye red is difficult to stylize. I painted several cars Guards Red in the 80s (even did a friends 73 Corvette complete with matt black out- looked great for the time).
Bright red with gold wheels says Ferrari to me.
If you want to give it a racer look google images of racers. You will see some interested contrasting colors. Blue is often used as a contrast to red. Don't go white.
One thought, I also painted several 911s Corvette white. White is a killer base color especially with the 3.0L RSR widebody and it allows you to do anything you want with a contrasting picture.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Brando

Garage

If someone could photoshop this with red wheels?
Old 05-30-2014, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I am not a fan of all black wheels (black centers and polished lips look great).

I have my HREs powder coated red with a polished lip which contrasts / compliments the car color without overwhelming it.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Yeah I'm wondering if red lips might be odd.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Banned

Brando, I just realized something - that gray color above looks a bit like correctly mixed JB . . . is that intentional or subliminal on yer part ?!?!?!? Regardless, too awesome!!!
Old 05-30-2014, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie's.930 View Post
Brando, I just realized something - that gray color above looks a bit like correctly mixed JB . . . is that intentional or subliminal on yer part ?!?!?!? Regardless, too awesome!!!
It just makes it easier for the future.

BTW I have a funny story, my wife told me her dad fixed one of his horses open wounds on a leg with some epoxy! Well it really just kept the maggots inside the area longer. Dr. said it would have been fine if there were no flies or whatever in there. Horse was pissed.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: