Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
one of the great unwashed

Considering EFI swap

I'm thinking about going to EFI on my turbo SC. Is there a good, reliable, down and dirty method for this? I am still reading all of the threads I found on search, but many of them are a few years old, and I know the technology has changed. Maybe a 3.2 manifold with Megasquirt? That seems like a clean and easy solution. I only run about 6PSI boost.

I am open for recommendations.
TIA,
Pat
Old 06-02-2014, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I have not done it myself, but have been partly down that path, and researched accordingly, what you suggest is a valid option. However, I don't remember if you have the alu plenum for your CIS. If you do, I believe you might as well stick with that, making it even easier. I would personally use MS, but there are lots of options, also on a budget.

Edit: no matter what plenum you have, it seems to be ok for boost, so my comment on the alu plenum is nonsense. You should just be able to use what you have a la tbitz.
www.stauningwhisky.dk

Last edited by jsveb; 06-04-2014 at 03:24 PM..
Old 06-02-2014, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
MS2 with EDIS ignition running wasted spark would be my recommendation. The EDIS really simplifies the setup as it's almost bullet proof and basically self contained. The EDIS parts are easy to get at the junk yard and very cheap. I would recommend Clewett for a crank pulley, 36-1 toothed wheel, and sensor bracket although GSF is an alternative.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

^^^ this.

Don't be fooled by other EFI makes, the surface mount components inside MegaSquirt are the same quality as say Motec.

Why pay more?
Old 06-02-2014, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Turbo Hooligan

We've done the MS2 with EDIS, and MS3 with COP. after building harnesses for both and using both I'd recommend MS3 with COP. Its a much better system for not much more money.

All these guys do is drive too fast, work on cars, chase ******* and drink.. really no fun at all...
Old 06-02-2014, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

You won't regret it!
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 06-03-2014, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I'm using this one:

MS3-Pro Standalone Engine Management System by DIYAutoTune.com

No regrets yet.

92 Corvette - Nitto NT01
Old 06-03-2014, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Definitely choose a system that you can either tune yourself or have someone local do the tuning. Many to choose from..happy hunting..
Old 06-03-2014, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsveb View Post
Edit: no matter what plenum you have, it seems to be ok for boost, so my comment on the alu plenum is nonsense. You should just be able to use what you have a la tbitz.
Don't be so hard on yourself, Jesper. I have an SC setup in the car, and it would be a nightmare to plumb it and make it work. This is what I'm trying to get away from. I think if I can find a 3.2 or a 930 manifold, like will be much easier.

Here is an older configuration:

Old 06-03-2014, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I've noticed a few 3.2 manifolds for sale relatively cheap with TB and fuel rails. I would think 930 pancake manifolds should be less but converting them to EFI could be more expensive as you have to source spacers, fuel rails, etc.. One recommendation from my experience, if you elect to go simple with MS2/EDIS, I would go ahead and wire everything for sequential. You can still run batch fire fuel and wasted spark. That wasn't on my radar when I did my original build so when I converted to MS3 I had to completely rework the entire wiring harness.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Thanks, Steve
I'm am definitely leaning towards a 3.2 setup, because it seems the simplest route. I've been reading your threads on your conversion with interest. I've gotten to the point that I want to put this tub together one last time, and then just be able to drive it, so I want to try and get it close to right. My immediate concern is getting a reliable signal from the crank somehow.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
A little pricey (especially compared to EDIS), but if you want sequential, Clewett crank pulley, 60-2 wheel, and sensor. I had little trouble getting sync, no resistors, very little adjustment of the main board POTs. His cam sensor is flawless as well, although with a little effort, a 930 scavenge pump with air pump pulley can be made to work handily.
I admire your desire for a final build, I can't seem to stop tinkering.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Chain fence eating turbo

^^^ you've forgotten more than I know.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Pat,

I would actually stay with the plenum and runners you've got. Others correct me if I am wrong, but the SC type plenum and runners are actually good for flow and responsiveness.

This is how simple your left bank would be if ridding the WUR and other CIS components. All that woul be left is the charge pipe to the TB.

sorry for the mess. Some day this will go on my Carrera 3.0

This is not mine, but is shows how clean it can be done, I bet it would be fine in blue as well

www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 06-03-2014, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I've seen a few Haltech powered 3.0L engines that look just like the one Jesper posted. Very clean setup.
+100 on doing the install and tune yourself. You know what you have and how it works.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

It was something I was forced to do but I'm so glad I learned it. I mean, you never stop learning, but you understand enough to make it happen.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I'm really starting to like Jesper's idea with the SC setup. I do have a spare airbox I can cut up.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are the MS systems non-sequential, up to the MS3X or whatever it is? In essence, a MS system is pretty much like a 3.2 system...squirts one cylinder bank, then the other?
Old 06-05-2014, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

You can inject up to 3 times a revolution, so if you alternate bank injection, you can almost have sequential.

So for MSII, kinda batch/bank, kinda sequential.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Thanks, Tippy
I will assume that the MS variants up to MS3 are then fairly suitable for street/some track/low boost applications such as mine, where absolute HP is not the objective. And, the non-sequential injection will not need cam sensor?
Old 06-05-2014, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: