Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

044 fuel pump installation up front

Thought I'd share my 044 pump installation along with a few observations. I've seen numerous post on this forum about mounting this pump up front and a few frustrations as well. My overall intention was to keep it as factory as possible, mainly keeping everything original without hacking wires or removing the mount. Here's what I found out:

1) You do not have to cut off those nice factory crimped connectors. Just take a drill bit and round out the factory connectors. Took me less than two minutes on the original connectors. They fit right on. Wire length was no issue.

2) I used a round piece of silicon hose to blanket the pump where it connects to the factory rubber mount. The 044 pump is whisper-quiet and makes less buzz than the original pump, which was quite new and very quiet. I can hardly hear the 044.

3) The fittings on the rear of the pump along with the braided cloth hose was $23 at Maco Hose and Rubber here in West Palm Beach.

The skid plate fit right on with enough room without touching the pump. All in all, a nice trouble free fit.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Did you notice any difference in your afr after the install?
Old 06-06-2014, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I have a 930 that I bought a new used engine for. It is good for about 500hp, but Like you, I want to keep things looking stock.
On the donorcar I got the engine from, it had two 044 pumps in the front with a fuelcell and they were paralell connected from the tank going over to one AN8 hose back to the engine.
My question is: Does it need to be like that? What happens if if put one 044 pump in the front, and one at the rear like it came from the factory?

Hope someone can help
Old 06-06-2014, 10:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Nice, but why not just an adapter like this, available in metric too:

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 06-07-2014, 02:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by proffighter View Post
Nice, but why not just an adapter like this, available in metric too:

You can use those, too. I just don't like anything clamped to the fuel lines. One less thing to go wrong. I had no choice with the tank connection; but I used dual Porsche screw clamps there.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos531 View Post
Did you notice any difference in your afr after the install?
I have not tested afr yet. One thing I noticed before the install was my system pressure, it would fall when throttled. It's rock solid now and dose not bounce on the test gauge like it did before.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiracing View Post
I have a 930 that I bought a new used engine for. It is good for about 500hp, but Like you, I want to keep things looking stock.
On the donorcar I got the engine from, it had two 044 pumps in the front with a fuelcell and they were paralell connected from the tank going over to one AN8 hose back to the engine.
My question is: Does it need to be like that? What happens if if put one 044 pump in the front, and one at the rear like it came from the factory?

Hope someone can help
That "donor car" sounds wicked fuel cell, twin 044's...what else does it have? To answer your question: no, it does not have to be like that. You can take those two 044's and put them on your car in the factory locations. They usually run only one check valve on the factory setup, which I also did. You'll just need some of the adapter fittings mentioned here or elsewhere on this forum.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:

Quote de Billiracing

Hope someone can help

That "donor car" sounds wicked fuel cell, twin 044's...what else does it have? To answer your question: no, it does not have to be like that. You can take those two 044's and put them on your car in the factory locations. They usually run only one check valve on the factory setup, which I also did. You'll just need some of the adapter fittings mentioned here or elsewhere on this forum.
Donor:

Old 06-07-2014, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
930T Owner

Garage
Good stuff... Nothing wrong with keeping the install looking as oem-looking as possible.

I did my pump setup a little differently. I ran a -6AN from the outlet side up back to the rear pump following the bracket path of the A/C line on the driver's side of the tub. The stock feed line is very small ID and restrictive.

In addition to that, I opted to run dedicated relays and 12awg wiring to the front and rear pumps. I used the oem wire that powers the front pump as my trigger for the relays. It is redundant but I chose this method because I didn't want the pumps triggered by switched power. This way, they only run under ignition as intended. By doing this, I am getting a very reliable clean 12v to the pumps with plenty of amperage available, and it is not stressing the original wiring/relays.

Pics...

Chris.
2016 Cayman GT4
2012 911 Cup
Old 06-07-2014, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hams930T View Post
Good stuff... Nothing wrong with keeping the install looking as oem-looking as possible.

I did my pump setup a little differently. I ran a -6AN from the outlet side up back to the rear pump following the bracket path of the A/C line on the driver's side of the tub. The stock feed line is very small ID and restrictive.

In addition to that, I opted to run dedicated relays and 12awg wiring to the front and rear pumps. I used the oem wire that powers the front pump as my trigger for the relays. It is redundant but I chose this method because I didn't want the pumps triggered by switched power. This way, they only run under ignition as intended. By doing this, I am getting a very reliable clean 12v to the pumps with plenty of amperage available, and it is not stressing the original wiring/relays.

Pics...

Chris.
Looks good Chris. I like your neat wiring there on the battery. Very nice detail. Looks like you cannot put the skid plate on, though. That's something I had to have. I've hit rubber tire shreds on the street at night and they hit like a rock. These cars are so low, you need some sort of protection around that pump...for a street car, that is.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
930T Owner

Garage
Skid plate works fine. In the picture I just didn't have it installed. It's still a work in progress as I am converting to a 935 coilover setup.
2016 Cayman GT4
2012 911 Cup
Old 06-07-2014, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

Billiracing -

If you want to install 044 pumps and keep them all Metric as with a factory installation I can help you. I stock lots of metric adapters & fittings in the correct sizes for Fuel or Oil Systems for Porsche air cooled models.

Here is what I have for the 044 pump.....

The fitting on the left is for the front and the one on the right is for the rear. Everything else use standard Porsche fittings both front & rear. If you need replacement hoses I make these in E-85 rated rubber or E-85 rated SS braided hose. All Metric of course.

I am happy to answer any questions you may have by email. Please no PMs.

Len at Autosportengineering dot com

Last edited by BoxsterGT; 06-08-2014 at 07:59 PM..
Old 06-08-2014, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterGT View Post

Billiracing -

If you want to install 044 pumps and keep them all Metric as with a factory installation I can help you. I stock lots of metric adapters & fittings in the correct sizes for Fuel or Oil Systems for Porsche air cooled models.

Here is what I have for the 044 pump.....

The fitting on the left is for the front and the one on the right is for the rear. Everything else use standard Porsche fittings both front & rear. If you need replacement hoses I make these in E-85 rated rubber or E-85 rated SS braided hose. All Metric of course.

I am happy to answer any questions you may have by email. Please no PMs.

Len at Autosportengineering dot com

Sent you an email about this
Old 06-08-2014, 11:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
2) I used a round piece of silicon hose to blanket the pump where it connects to the factory rubber mount. The 044 pump is whisper-quiet and makes less buzz than the original pump, which was quite new and very quiet. I can hardly hear the 044.
I have read that they (the 044 pumps) were louder than the stock ones, one of the reasons i haven't switched to them yet.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

I have dual 044 pumps on mine. Both up front in parallel, feeding a -8 line. Both running, they are definately noisier than stock... but nowhere near as loud as some of the fuel pumps I have heard on some 1/4 mile cars. Since I am running a "zork" style exhaust, no sound barriers under the lightweight carpet, etc.... I dont think I am worried about a little noise from the fuel pumps. I am just happy to know I will not be needing to upgrade those any time soon!!
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 06-09-2014, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
930T Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilonly View Post
I have read that they (the 044 pumps) were louder than the stock ones, one of the reasons i haven't switched to them yet.
They are louder than stock. You won't hear the rear pump unless you put your ears down near the ground and hear the noise reflecting off the ground. The front pump you can hear however. The common fix that most other pelican members are utilizing is a form of damper material to lessen the noise. An effective method is to use a piece of silicone connecting hose that you can get just about anywhere for connecting intercooler piping. You wrap the pump with the hose and then use a large hose clamp to secure it. Once you do this - it's a lot quieter.

Another thing to note: the pump DOES get louder when it heats up, or at higher fuel pressures. However, the noise is not intolerable and I can assure you that you don't hear it while sitting in the car.

Personally the noise doesn't bother me - it's a CLEAR note that the pumps are indeed operating.

Don't let the noise be a deterrent in fitting them.

Chris
2016 Cayman GT4
2012 911 Cup
Old 06-09-2014, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I've tried 3 different original Bosch 044 pumps in the front and they've all been noisy. I put another 044 in the back and it's quieter than the front one. I guess the front one does most of the work. They've all been Czech Republic Bosch pumps.

I had the filter out of the tank when I removed and repainted it and it was clean. Didn't have an allen head wrench that big but I think it was a 22mm bolt head that fits into it and then you can turn the shank of the bolt with a pipe wrench to remove and reinstall the factory fuel tank filter.

I tried mounting the fuel pump with a short piece of silicone hose over it but it was just as noisy. Doing that made it hard to fit the front pump into the factory concave curved fuel pump bracket that came on my car. The original bracket is mounted to the cross member with rubber isolation mounts anyway.

Then I mounted it again inside the rubber cover Porsche makes for the 964 or 993 front fuel pump to see if that would make it quieter. The rubber cover completely encloses an 044 pump and it helps muffle the buzz. I smeared a little vasaline all over the aluminum pump casing to help protect it in case water ever gets in there and takes a long time to dry out. The rubber cover is too thick to use the original bracket but it will squeeze up in there between the cross member and the fuel tank so I secured it there with a large hose clamp.

I don't bother putting the big heavy steel cover on the bottom of the front cross member anymore. I don't drive in the rain often and Florida roads are in good condition so I don't think it's needed and it adds weight.
I've intalled the front pump with and without the spacer under the check valve. It's easier to remove the cap nut when the spacer is still there so you can put an open end wrench on it.

With 044 pumps front and rear feeding a CIS flowtech modified aluminum fuel head there is alot more fuel flowing to the fuel head and going through the fuel heads tiny system fuel pressure regulator and then back to the tank in the return line. AFR did become a little richer after installing them and a little adjustment of the idle CO trimmed that back to 3.5 at idle.
I've noticed a little richer AFR under boost with the 044 pumps and while occasionally running 1.1 bar boost with CIS in the summer heat I think that's probably a good thing.

Here's the front 044 pump in the original bracket and then inside the rubber cover.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Does anyone know if the 964 Turbo run the same pumps as the 930?
84 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 06-09-2014, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Len, on these hoses shown here, I see where they mount to the pump and tank. Where do the other ends mount? The original factory lines have no threaded fittings where they turn and go into the body up front. It's like a permanent shrink fit there at the connections onto the plastic tunnel hoses.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
You would need to switch over to Len's replacement tunnel lines which have fittings on both ends.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: