Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L View Post
JBrown, good info - what I am looking for. Thanks. I don't plan on running it past 6500 either, and Fred didn't seem to find any drop in power there either. But at least I now know what the difference is. I suspect I would prefer to get a bit more bottom end response, rather than top - ie the quicker it begins pulling, the better.
I have posed the SC/964 Q to Chris too, so lets see what he comes up with, but on that basis I would lean to SC (but Chris says 964 'better'). Lets see how this pans out.
Did the 964s bolt in the same as SC, ie interchangeable?
Alan
I know you are having a hard time getting this question answered, so I will.

It bolts in the same as the SC cam except maybe you will need to look into reshimming the valves for the correct seat pressure and check for coil bind like I mentioned before. I think the drivers side cam has the boss protruding out the back to drive the turbo oil sump pump but just check on this, as I think the 964 used this to drive the power steering pump for all those girly men in the 90's who complained about the non assisted steering in our older 911's and 930's.

I think a smart thing for you would be to have your turbo cams welded up and reground to the profile you want once you have made a decision on profile. You can save alot of money on cores and will have the oil sump pump drive already in place.

Also, forgot to mention that the 964 cams used a newer bolt connection in front for the timing chain gears similar to the later SC cams when they switched over I think after 1981 from the 36mm nut connection set up. This might be something effects you too if you have an older 930....my 1979 used the 36mm nut.

regards,
Fred
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 06-11-2014, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Many thanks Fred - this is what I need to know. Can't remember what timing nut I have. But these are the traps/issues I am trying to identify before diving in there. Sounds like a regrind may be the way to go if 964 route - and I'm guessing SC cams have no scavenge pump drive pin anyway?.
Regards
Alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 06-11-2014, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

The boss for driving the power steering pump on 964 and 993 cams is on the end of the right side cam so it won't work for driving a 930 turbo scavange pump.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
The boss for driving the power steering pump on 964 and 993 cams is on the end of the right side cam so it won't work for driving a 930 turbo scavange pump.
Thats ok just put the left cam on the right bank and the right cam on the left bank.

Or just invert the engine and lower the cg at the same time like they did on the 935 with the tranny.

KIDDING-----DONT DO THAT!
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 06-11-2014, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L View Post
JBrown, good info - what I am looking for. Thanks. I don't plan on running it past 6500 either, and Fred didn't seem to find any drop in power there either. But at least I now know what the difference is. I suspect I would prefer to get a bit more bottom end response, rather than top - ie the quicker it begins pulling, the better.
I have posed the SC/964 Q to Chris too, so lets see what he comes up with, but on that basis I would lean to SC (but Chris says 964 'better'). Lets see how this pans out.
Did the 964s bolt in the same as SC, ie interchangeable?
Alan
I did not put my cams in myself. I had a shop do it. I think I had to go with new rocker arms. It was about 4 yrs ago so I am not sure. Not disappointed in the 964 cams but If I would have known what the difference was before I did it I would have spent the money on something else..
Old 06-11-2014, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

OK, here is another query. I've been speaking to a guy here in NZ about head work and piston coating - he is probably the Porsche HP man here. He tells me the 930S had a ring (like a head gasket ring I think) between the cylinder and the head - which as far as he knew was to lower the compression. Any idea what that is about - seems counterintuitive unless they were running more boost?
Alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 06-11-2014, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

I'm off o/seas from tomorrow, for 2-3 mths. Plan to sort everything out, ready to tear into it 24 hrs from returning. Plan to follow Chris's suggestions from earlier, except undecided still on cams. Scared of loosing some bottom end with 964 option. Am also contemplating Elgin cam after zcokers post. Have contacted them.
Plan to dyno it before and after.
FWIW, my good lap times on track in video are 1.19s with 19.5 best. The best lap times posted by GT3 GT3RS and GT2RS are between 1.13s and 1.15s. They are on slicks, I'm on road/track tyres, and I limit the old girl to 6000 rpm, in deference to the 30 yr old valve train and p&cs. (that is changing when I tear it down). If I can pull another couple of seconds on them I'll be happy.
Thanks for the input guys, as usual. The only reason this beast is running at all is because of you guys.
Regards
Alan
Old 06-11-2014, 10:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Head ring = flat shim between cylinder & head = not worth it, IMO.

Use good head studs, install correctly and torque to spec -- done.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 06-12-2014, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

or flame ring it if you are getting any machine work done on the heads like porting or twin plugging.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 06-12-2014, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: