Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Engine is back in.

Just finished putting the engine back in the car. (first time for me)
I did connect all oil lines. have put in new oil and tested fuel and fuel pressure.
All looks fine so far. But I still have a question that I did not found on the forum yet:
I did not attached the oil outlet line ( behind the oil catch tank) I cranked the engine a few times ( total maybe mmm less then a min.) after 20 to 30 sec there was a little oil coming out from the oil catch tank but it was not much (very little) more like dripping or bit more. is this normal or should there be more oil exiting the oil catch can while I'm only cranking the engine?
To be clear this is without the engine running so no fuel and ignition. Thanks

Last edited by klefroid; 06-09-2014 at 09:54 AM..
Old 06-09-2014, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
any advice for a first start up would be very very appreciated
Old 06-09-2014, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Need to "bump"
Old 06-09-2014, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Banned

You need to crank it longer than 20-30 seconds to get much oil to flow out of there initially following assembly (not necessarily longer than 30 seconds at a time but quick, short burst of cranking). Try that and see what you get.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie's.930 View Post
You need to crank it longer than 20-30 seconds to get much oil to flow out of there initially following assembly (not necessarily longer than 30 seconds at a time but quick, short burst of cranking). Try that and see what you get.
Will try tomorrow and let you know. I was afraid that the engine did not get any oil.
I saw my oil gauge going down while cranking. I'm still waiting for scavenge pump seal kit but I thought it was not bad to put some oil true the system?
Old 06-09-2014, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by klefroid View Post
... I saw my oil gauge going down while cranking. I...
The oil gauge is totally useless at this point in time. The pressure gauge one is the one that count.

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Slanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 06-09-2014, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Yeh 930's aren't like say an American V8, that when you crank it, the positive displacement oil pump sucks up the oil from the oil pan, and gets you almost instant oil pressure and flow.

Our 930's are basically a dry sump oiling system, so until the engine is running there is precious little oil sitting in the engine case for the 3 stage oil pump to pick up, so you just don't get much flow.

Oh and about your first time fire up...have a fire extinguisher handy, you just can't be too careful, our fuel systems operate at a very high pressure.

Best of luck!!

Mark

Last edited by full quack; 06-09-2014 at 04:41 PM..
Old 06-09-2014, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by full quack View Post
... Oh and about your first time fire up...have a fire extinguisher handy, you just can't be too careful, our fuel systems operate at a very high pressure...
+1,

Have someone else crank the car and you watch what is going on in the engine bay.

BTDT, as a result of too many cook in the kitchen, one of the oil line to the chain cover was loose and oil was pissing out. Since the buck stop with me, I blame my helper and thigh the joint

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Slanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 06-09-2014, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I cranked the engine for about 20 seconds
made a little low quality vid. I'm not using a High Torque starter motor but my OEM rebuild one.
I didn't open the engine when it was out, Just a few mods.

Here's the vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25GtEgyyLKE
Old 06-10-2014, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by klefroid View Post
I cranked the engine for about 20 seconds
made a little low quality vid. I'm not using a High Torque starter motor but my OEM rebuild one.
I didn't open the engine when it was out, Just a few mods.

Here's the vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25GtEgyyLKE
Not too sure what you are expecting out of that pipe???

Button her up and see what the Oil Pressure Reads...

Old 06-10-2014, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ 911SC View Post
Not too sure what you are expecting out of that pipe???

Button her up and see what the Oil Pressure Reads...
Oil pressure stays at 5 bar. When I take the pressure sender wire and connect it to ground it goes to 0. I ordered a new pressure sender because it was never working
Might have to wait another week but this time I like to have it all working before running the car.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
The starter is only good for 250 - 300 RPM's max. So probably not much oil flow until the engine catches. Did you get your S200sx_RS_56 Turbocharger installed?
Old 06-11-2014, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
The object of the exercise is to get some oil in the supply line. As others have said, 200-300 rpm won't give you a torrent of oil but on the other hand the turbo isn't spinning at 120,000 rpm at idle either. When you see oil you are good to go.
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 06-11-2014, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911nut View Post
The object of the exercise is to get some oil in the supply line. As others have said, 200-300 rpm won't give you a torrent of oil but on the other hand the turbo isn't spinning at 120,000 rpm at idle either. When you see oil you are good to go.
Thanks, glad to hear!
Old 06-11-2014, 10:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dap930 View Post
The starter is only good for 250 - 300 RPM's max. So probably not much oil flow until the engine catches. Did you get your S200sx_RS_56 Turbocharger installed?
Yes I did. Together with aem water meth, aem afr, turbosmart dual stage boost controller. I have an intercooler to but I'm installing this one later. Hope to get the seals for my scavenge pum by the weekend. It had a leak at the shaft bearing. Need to be sure all is good in there.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
I would be interested in how the BW turbo responds. I have a GT3582 on my 3.0 liter turbo, but it is laggy for this size motor. It make great top end power, but I miss the response of the K27 I had prior to going EFI. I should have gone with a GT3076.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: