Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Turbo Lag

Hi Gentlemen,I am a newbie to the 930 scene, having recently purchased a very nice 1983 R.H.D. 300hp 930 coupe ,so please excuse my inexperience and apparent dumb questions. The car is in great shape and would appear to be in very good health but I am struggling to adapt to the driving style required with a car with such pronounced lag in acceleration and throttle response. Not a lot happens below 4,000 RPM but above that it comes on quite strong all the way to the red-line and with full on acceleration,ie that is shifting at 6,500 RPM,I am getting some lag after selecting the next gear until the turbo spools up again.I would have expected the ( stock ) turbo to be still spooled up at these revs,is this normal? or does my particular car have a fault?

Every thing I am reading indicates I should upgrade to a K27/7200 series turbo,would this mod address the performance issues I have described ? and is this a fairly straightforward bolt-on operation ? as I do not wish to have to dramatically change too many components. Also is this something the average home mechanic can undertake in their garage?

The previous owner told me the car has a 1.0 bar waste-gate spring and I have fitted a free flow "sport muffler" in an attempt to reduce the back pressure. Many thanks.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

If the turbine housing is machined, it is a bolt-in.
A compressor outlet o-ring adapter and new gaskets are required.
Very much DIY.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 06-16-2014, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hi OZ. Steering wheel is on wrong side. Just kidding. Would love to see some more photos please. Congrats.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the interest Gentlemen.......Hi Chris that is very helpful ,looks like it should be a fairly simple swapover.

Hi Skillet, thanks for the reply..for more pics check out my garage photos.

Regards Pete.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Check that the factory diverter valve is operating correctly. If it's stuck and/or leaking, you will get sluggish boost build up and lagging after shifts.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Hi beepbeep,that may be my problem as I experiencing lag after shifting up at high RPM

Thanks for your help.

Regards Pete.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I love a certain amount of turbo lag. I've owned 13 Saabs over the years , all with serious turbo lag. Never wanted to reduce it. But it must be a strange thing to get used to for a first time turbo owner. Try to learn to love it , to embrace it. You can certainly reduce it a bit by changing turbos and other components but thank goodness it doesn't disappear altogether. Very nice car you have there!
Old 06-17-2014, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ 911 View Post
Hi beepbeep,that may be my problem as I experiencing lag after shifting up at high RPM

Thanks for your help.

Regards Pete.
Pete, check this thread for understanding of how diverter valve works. It's basically a cylinder that slides back/forward and uncover ports that will either "short-circuit" turbo or let it work as intended. If cylinder is stuck or moving slowly, boost issues will happen. (not that it was ever a quick boosting car to begin with, even when operating correctly). Sometimes, a piece of gasket will dislodge and jam the cylinder.

While at it, also check that O-ring between turbo and intercooler is seated properly.

Changing 930 dump-gaskets, pictures galore

Last edited by beepbeep; 06-17-2014 at 10:10 PM..
Old 06-17-2014, 10:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Hi beepbeep,that is really informative and the pictures are invaluable.No doubt you are very experienced with the 930 plumbing!

Many thanks for your time and expertise on this subject.

Kind Regards Pete.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Hi OZ,
good to see another local (in relative terms) posting.
The K27 will make a huge difference. Happy to discuss Aussie 930 experience if you want.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Darkhorse that would be great,at this stage it is all a learning curve for me.

Regards Pete.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

and on this evening I should congratulate you on buying a BLUE car .....
Old 06-18-2014, 01:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: