Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Ha, what a beard fest. Like ZZ Top doing a wheel commercial. I prefer stock but the more people making Porsche parts and tribute parts the better so I applaud them. I also like looking at that blue 930 zipping through the streets. I had to go out for a ride before I posted!
Old 06-17-2014, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

I dig the wheels. I wonder how they'd look in 17".
Old 06-17-2014, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

****ty hipsters

Dear fellow Pelicanites,

Let me bring it to the point right away:

The only fever I can see is the fever you get from a marketing overload.

This guy sucks !!!

He is in no way an outlaw or a hooligan or whatsoever he thinks I buy any cool image from him.

It is a vending machine and what we have to respect is a certain value of instinct getting jeans and shirts distributed using the right media tools.

Do not get me wrong being not liberal but since here in Germany I am quite good connected and integrated in the BMW motorcycle scene, so I have this hipster stuff all around me.

Urban Motors, Blitz Motorcycles....WTF....

This is not real !

There is no soul !

All this posers w....king themselves away in front of a mirror...

They all jump on the next horse right in the next second if it is recognised being more hip the other day.

I can't take the view of old socks around bike headers anymore.

They all want to be that special that they all look the same at the end.

This beard, this tattoo, this chain, this shirt - the sunglasses uniform.

Six feet under Ferdinand is turning like a crankshaft by the view of this ugly fashion pope sitting in his masterpiece giving us the great pretender.

Magnus it is alright with me if someone will buy your cloth and now your wheels - I will never do so.

Steve Mc Queen would buy a set of Fuchs or BBS wheels - and even if there is an other beard starting to grow on your back, he is the king of cool which you will never be; whatever wicked painting you put on a poor 911 which can not defend himself being violated by whatever you think style and taste have been given to you from outer space.

If you do the next video using one of this icons as a vehicle for your advertisement, get yourself a drivers training and avoid this boring pussy style cruising around like my outlaw grandma would do the wild thing.

It is a PORSCHE my dear and it can take a good kick in the ass - just like you !

Eat this:

Bull**** Hipster Bike Videos | Ride Or Lie

Best reg.

Dirk

Last edited by Edelweiss; 06-17-2014 at 12:43 PM..
Old 06-17-2014, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
Dear fellow Pelicanites,

This guy sucks !!!

He is in no way an outlaw or a hooligan or whatsoever he thinks I buy any cool image from him.

It is a vending machine and what we have to respect is a certain value of instinct getting jeans and shirts distributed using the right media tools.

Do not get me wrong being not liberal but since here in Germany I am quite good connected and integrated in the BMW motorcycle scene, so I have this hipster stuff all around me.

This is not real !

There is no soul !

They all jump on the next horse right in the next second if it is recognised being more hip the other day.

Six feet under Ferdinand is turning like a crankshaft by the view of this ugly fashion pope sitting in his masterpiece giving us the great pretender.

Magnus it is alright with me if someone will buy your cloth and now your wheels - I will never do so.

Steve Mc Queen would buy a set of Fuchs or BBS wheels - and even if there is an other beard starting to grow on your back, he is the king of cool which you will never be; whatever wicked painting you put on a poor 911 which can not defend himself being violated by whatever you think style and taste have been given to you from outer space.

If you do the next video using one of this icons as a vehicle for your advertisement, get yourself a drivers training and avoid this boring pussy style cruising around like my outlaw grandma would do the wild thing.

It is a PORSCHE my dear and it can take a good kick in the ass - just like you !

Eat this:

Best reg.

Dirk
LOL.....I think someone just set a hipster trap.....

Old 06-17-2014, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Wowzers!!
I don't exactly agree but it was funny.
I mean he is great with promotion but I don't think it was all a big plan in the beginning. My opinion is that he likes his Porsche cars hobbie and it has evolved. He's a bit much for most tastes but he loves Porsche cars for sure, you can't fake his enthusiasm for the mark. And his attention to detail on his cars is nice and deliberate.
I like him, and what he's doing for the community of Porsche. At least old school Porsche. I've heard others voice the opinion similarly, so I'd say he's successful. We all know him.

Last edited by quattrorunner; 06-17-2014 at 01:24 PM..
Old 06-17-2014, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
I've gone native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
Dear fellow Pelicanites,

This guy sucks !!!

This is not real !

There is no soul !

Eat this:

Best reg.

Dirk
Tell us how you really feel...damn I just thought it was a cool video. It's all good.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

I've seen the hipster motorcycle, hipster hot rod, and hipster vintage European car blogs, and I find them as irritating as Edelweiss does. But that's not the vibe I get from Magnus. Dude has been into Porsches for a long time, he knows how to wrench, and he can drive. Judging him for his style, which isn't even hipster by the way, is pretty lame.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

So hip so uniform

Yes,

agree - it was maybe love and sort of passion somewhen but:

Then he missed a huge chance - now it feels so cheep and obvious.

He is big in business, no question but being different and special ?

All is so repeating itself, no surprise, the aesthetic of this pictures and videos is so boring...no reinvention or originality.

By the way - all good since I have liberated my mind later today.

Just a small verbal eruption, peace.

Yours in sport,

Dirk
Old 06-17-2014, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

The King of Cool in his Jag XKSS, on the Sunset Strip
Old 06-17-2014, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
930T Owner

Garage
I dig the wheels. Especially the frosted RSR look and wide... Very nice. Sorry - call it what you want - it's enjoyable to see any old Porsche in action. Beats 9/10 of the crap on the road today.

Just my $.02.
2016 Cayman GT4
2012 911 Cup
Old 06-17-2014, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Banned

Dirk, if I was one to use acronyms such as ROTFLMAO, that is exactly what I would offer you!!! What a hilarious and (mostly) spot-on post - the only thing it lacks to be truly perfect are some tasteless, sexual innuendos!!! Thanks again for the extended belly laugh!!!

PS: I wonder if we are somehow related?!

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 06-17-2014 at 03:16 PM..
Old 06-17-2014, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
^BWAAAAAHahahhahahhaaaaa^

preach it, brutha (Edelweiss)!

I do get utterly nauseated by all the lemmings who swing from this guy's nads like lemmings - it's sickening and pathetic.

I do agree this is shill marketing, pretty damn transparent - esp. evident in the pathetic wheel-torqueing sequence (my jury's still out on the wheels - I think they're pretty cool and I do applaud the originality / creativity... just not sure they're my baaaag, baaaaby). It's nearly as bad as the 112minutes dedicated to his leather strap fabrication in the original video - bleh!

The sound bits and some of the sequences in the vids are at least entertaining. Not sure I'd be running red lights on broadcast intarwebz, personally (tho I lol'd @ the right-on-red only to catch the left turn he'd had waited @ the light for otherwise... one of my patented moves!).

All bs aside... Magnus as a dude honestly does seem like a pretty cool guy. Whatever look werks for ya, good for you. Sure is a savvy marketing bloke tho ... look how much we're talking about him!

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 06-17-2014, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Banned

^^^ And let me tell you, Paul, the "swingers" over in the 911 forum do NOT take kindly to being called as such (or to nutswinger pics posted with humorous intent)! I've been posting quite a bit in the most recent Magnus thread over there, but have been keeping it clean following my recent errr, "incident" on that side of the fence. Still quite entertaining, though!
Old 06-17-2014, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Make America Great Again!

Most agnostic Magnus lovers though....almost everyone ends with a "he's probably a cool dude.", just in the slimmest possibility they might meet someday.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

I must be missing something. I don't care what kind of guy Magnus is or seems to be. Is the negativity all because he is marketing the wheels covertly in the video? I have no idea what else he might be into. I thought he was just some P-car nut that has money to take his obsession to another level.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

I wasn't going to chime in here but...here I am.

1552 as a wheel company are a legit bunch of folks, are they using this as a marketing tool? Of course, you would be nuts not too. BradB@1552 and their crew are (in my opinion) enthusiasts just as we are and are doing what allot of wish we could, getting paid for their passion.

The whole spin around Magnus is from near as what I can tell not purely of his doing. Only in the first video does he even mention his clothing company (which lets not forget he and his wife built from the ground up). And it has not been till very recently that you could buy anything automotive related to him in a business sense unless you count the odd car that he has sold. So like it or not, the use of the term "shill" is pretty harsh.

When you are featured by the likes of StanceWorks, Crafted, Fitted blah blah etc you are going to attract a certain faux counter culture fanbase and I get why some see this as "swinging". It is not however like he is out there posting garbage and photo shoots etc on message boards himself. Read his blog....its a loose humble rambling about stuff he is doing and why its cool to him.

I have talked with a number of people who have met Magnus in person and each tells the same story, legit down to earth guy and a genuine Porsche enthusiast with a deep passion for all cars. If those stories were of a different variety and he was some douche then really my point is still the same. Making a judgment on someone and their motivations having never met them is pretty lame even when they are in fact lame.

I guess I dont really have a point but for some reason it irks me when I read people cutting down others no reason other than that they have a group of people who dig what they are doing.
https://medium.com/@crashingdoor
Old 06-17-2014, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by torresmd View Post
I must be missing something. I don't care what kind of guy Magnus is or seems to be. Is the negativity all because he is marketing the wheels covertly in the video? I have no idea what else he might be into. I thought he was just some P-car nut that has money to take his obsession to another level.
Right.
The guys got like fifteen Porsche cars including at least three 930's! Plus he seems to be a pretty nice guy. How bad could he be? I'd say he's pretty smart, bordering on genius when it comes to marketing, is that bad? Only if we get jealous. My opinion is that he'd probably want me to be less jealous and more inspired by his collection?
So I am. I am inspired by it and though I'd also love to have his abilities to have what he does and has, I'm not jealous, it's a free country and we're each endowed with what we got personally to make what we got work for us. (Ronnie I don't need to hear you in the background saying"he said endowed")
I happen to enjoy some of what he does and some things I choose to ignore, but I respect him. He's a smart dude and I rather enjoy hearing him talk, because he's usually talking about a P-car and I love to also talk about P-cars. It's fun.
I hope he and 1552 make some cash on those wheels. Those wheels look great in my opinion with a nice combination of German and Italian influence and they look light too, and are forged! Nice.
The video? I Love 930's and I love the pops and burbles so yeah, I like the video too.
So F-en what!?
Old 06-17-2014, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Seems like a good guy to me. He has been having fun with these cars for quiet a long time it seems. Not my look, heck, even in Tulsa, I climb out of my ride in a pair of jeans and cowboys at 6'1" and 240lbs and get stares. Dude is obviously very successful and can afford the hobby on a large scale, has actually made a business out of it. How many guys here would like to say they could do the same?

Do not know that much about the guy, but he seems sincere and like a really nice guy. Some people just hate other peoples success. I like his vids.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!
Banned

I've read and participated in most of the Magnus threads on the 911 forum (why? because they are entertaining and full of laughs) and my take on the jokes directed at him is . . .

1) He is a man that poses like a chic with his cars in both pics and vids (I don't mean he stands like a chic, but he loves the camera like many of them do) = will trigger barbs each and every time.

2) He originally posted as a rich enthusiast and would engage others on the forum, but at some point that shifted to him slyly pitching his products and when people started to question that, he no longer answered questions or engaged in any manner other than to post pics = both funny and lame, and definitely barb worthy.

3) His videos are friggen commercials (commercials for his cars, his products, himself, etc) disguised as enthusiast short films and are presented as such = gonna' catch some zingers over that. Are thy cool? Yes, but so are many commercials that actually present themselves in that manner.

4) The "nutswingers" component - people that have no sense of humor about the whole deal and feel obligated somehow to fire back with "leave the poor guy alone, he's awesome, he single handedly brought the aircooled cars back to life, yer just jealous, yer mad 'caus he's sexier than you" stuff when rightfully placed zingers start wizzing his direction = incredibly funny and demanding of written pimp-slapping time and time again.

The bottom line is that any male that primps, preens, pouts and poses for the camera the way Magnus does is going to generate some points-n- laughs, and when he starts to slip in salesmanship in the guise of "check out all this cool stuff I'm doing because I'm an enthusiast like you guys" type posts/vids, well then the comments will really start coming in. It seems to me that this is typical, expected and normal behavior among car enthusiast males.

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 06-17-2014 at 07:07 PM..
Old 06-17-2014, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

I don't think there is anything covert or hidden about his marketing. It is as obvious as anything else. I don't have any problem with it however. He is quite good at it and his cars seem nice. At least the wheels don't seem to be vaporware.

I won't be buying any merchandise though. Driving a bunch of fancy European restomods around LA isnt outlaw material in my book honestly
Old 06-17-2014, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: