Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Help on oil change...possible over fill

I just had my car serviced which included an oil change. Driving it home noticed a lot of smoke so I figured a bit of overfill, it then cleared up. Next day I noticed oil drips under car just beneath where oil filler is on passenger side of engine bay. These drips/leaks weren't there prior to oil change, can I assume its related to an overfill? Will it eventually stop? I noticed on invoice they charged me for 11.5 qts of oil, isn't that to much? If so, what now?

thx
Old 06-19-2014, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Check the oil level warm and level. If too much you can use a fluid extractor to pull the extra right out of the fill spout
Old 06-19-2014, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thx...would an overfill cause it to drip on the floor?
Old 06-19-2014, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Over filled oil?

Check your oil level. It's very easy to do. Park your car on level ground, warm up to engine to operating temp, leave engine running and check the dipstick in the oil tank. (engine compartment right-hand side) Oil level should be between the high and low mark. 11 quarts with a filter change is not that uncommon. They probably just spilled some oil on your valve cover and sheet-metal, it will stop dripping in a day or two. If the oil is over filled just get an oil drain pan, unscrew the plug on the bottom of your oil tank and let out a little oil. Recheck oil level in oil tank with engine running.

Good luck,

Rahl
Old 06-19-2014, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
"Thx...would an overfill cause it to drip on the floor?"

Probably not...
Old 06-19-2014, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356911930 View Post
"Thx...would an overfill cause it to drip on the floor?"

Probably not...
But if the mechanic was sloppy and missed the filler tube with about half a quart of oil, or spilled a bunch while unscrewing the filter (and never cleaned it up), you could have oil dripping on the ground in the back right of the car.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Yes, thats exactly where drips are(back right side)
Old 06-20-2014, 12:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
930T Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by galileo View Post
Thx...would an overfill cause it to drip on the floor?
Hell yes it will... The oil separator will dump oil into your airbox and it will leak out on the passenger side.

Trust me I know... I pulled this crap within the first month of ownership on the 930.

Extract it with a fluid pump or just dump the oil and start over. Really sucky situation.
2016 Cayman GT4
2012 911 Cup
Old 06-21-2014, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
If you measure (on the dipstick) that indeed you're overfilled, if you're quick with your hands it's possible to drain some from the bottom of the sump and stick the plug back the hole without too much of a mess.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Or you could unscrew and empty the oil filter a few times until oil level is back within the mark.
Ofcourse you will have to fire up the engine for a few seconds to refill the oil filter before it can be emptied once more.

A little time consuming but more controllable than pulling the drain plug.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: