Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 32
88' turbo running hot

Hey Everyone, I just picked up my first Porsche - a 1988 turbo in Guards Red with a tan interior.

I love the car, but it definitely needs some love...the steering has a little play and the shifter is a bit sloppy. I know those two can be fixed with some new bushings.

My main concern is the oil temps, I seem to be running quite hot. Granted I do live in LA and there is lots of traffic and high temps, but I seem to sit around the last white notch before the red. Is this normal? Or is that too hot?

Old 06-28-2014, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Brando
 
quattrorunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Las vegas
Posts: 5,725
Garage
That's hot. Your car should have a fan that turns on around that temp. Check under the passenger front wheel area to feel/hear if there is a fan running at that temp. If not perhaps the fuse is burnt or the fan is inop.
__________________
Turbo powa!
1977 911s. it's cool
Old 06-28-2014, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bayside Wi
Posts: 2,517
For sure way too hot. Oil pressure is so low I would shut it off at that level before you wreck the motor.
__________________
Anthony @ Voitureltd Bayside WI.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 394
Garage
Either the engine thermostat or the external thermostat that sends oil to the front cooler is bad. It may be that both are bad. I had it happen on my car, but it was in the winter and the oil temperature was still very hot.
__________________
-Dennis
1977 930 Slant, MS3 EFI, Carrera intake, Twin plug, Powerhaus headers, Magnaflow muffler, Garretson intercooler, GTX3071R
Old 06-28-2014, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 32
Interesting...good to know. Thanks guys. I'll be bringing it in tomorrow to get that checked out. Adequate cooling is definitely a must with the traffic/temps in Los Angeles. Is there a way to have a manual override switch for the oil cooler? It would be nice to be able to flip that on in traffic.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Brando
 
quattrorunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Las vegas
Posts: 5,725
Garage
I use a switch to turn mine on. It's easy. And nice to turn it on earlier, like anticipating traffic or something.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Maryland
Posts: 722
Garage
There is actually an alternate thermal switch available you can simply insert into the front fender cooler. It is a BMW part available from Pelican, I think, still. It will turn on your fan sooner.

Another few things to check are ignition timing, fuel mixture and catalytic converter. If timing or fuel are off, they can drive up temps. Also, if converter is plugged it could increase temps.

Easy way to check of thermostat to front fender is working is to simply check when the engine is hot that the lines to the front cooler or the cooler itself are also hot (and the fan should be on if it reaches the turn on temp).

You may want to invest in an infra red heat "gun" / digital thermometer - readily available at most high performance or track related shops, or even Sears. It will help you track down the hot spots in your system, and you can also use it to check tire heat if you ever go to track.
__________________
Emery

1988 930 coupe - Silver Metallic
stock 3.3L w/GT35R, B&B Headers, RarlyL8 muffler, B&B intercooler, Tial wastegate, Electromotive tecGT based phased sequential EFI & ignition, Wevo shifter
Old 06-29-2014, 03:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: sunny buffalo
Posts: 489
Congrats, welcome aboard. The 930 sure is a great first Porsche. Mine is an '87 turbo cab with 88k miles and a G50 upgrade. I have chased a high temp issue for a few years now and still have not found the source (I limit my rides to short jaunts). I have seen the temp gauge just into the red range and am not happy with that. I tried the infrared, new lines to the front cooler, rebuild the external thermostat, ... to no avail. For now I manage it with short rides, if anybody knows of a good wrench in the Upstate NY area that would be helpful.
Thanks all and good luck
Old 07-01-2014, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 32
Thanks for the advice all. It seems the fans up front failed. The car is in the shop currently getting fixed and also getting an M&K Hooligan exhaust. I can't wait to get it back, I'll update when I do.

I'm excited to join this lively community and to see all it has to offer.
Cheers
Old 07-03-2014, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
16Volt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 964
This may be helpful, I started it awhile back:

How hot is too hot - Dr. Jeykell wants a pair of shorts.

Oh, and welcome to the show.
__________________
- 86 Porsche 930 - Mr.Hyde
- 86 BMW 635CSi - Dr.Jeykell
- 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport
https://medium.com/@crashingdoor
Old 07-03-2014, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 32
Thanks again guys, new temp switch and fan have been installed and seem to be the cure. Also heard the exhaust today for the first time...it's intoxicating. Looks like I'll be putting quite a few miles on it this weekend.

The only complaint I have about the car is that even with the seat all the away forward, it stills is a bit of a reach for me on the clutch pedal. I'm 5'7". I'm sure I can't be the only vertically challenged porsche owner
Old 07-10-2014, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
16Volt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 964
Your are not the only midget. I have to have my seat all the way forward to feel comfortable.

At least in the 930 I can see over the dash. In my E24 I cant even see any of the hood.
__________________
- 86 Porsche 930 - Mr.Hyde
- 86 BMW 635CSi - Dr.Jeykell
- 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport
https://medium.com/@crashingdoor
Old 07-10-2014, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
 
Registered User
 
beepbeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Sweden
Posts: 5,562
There are two (rather thick) copper tubes running under the passenger side doors. They carry oil to oil coolers. On most cars during the last 30 years, someone would try to lift the car with incorrect jack and crush the oil pipes, leading to restricted airflow to front oil coolers.

Check if they have been "squashed".

I had a German car (no fan, just ordinary "row-of-tubes" cooler) and never reached half of a temp gauge (even when high-speed driving in summer).
__________________
Thank you for your time,
Old 07-10-2014, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 32
Copper tubes are just fine, fan and cooler work. I seem to be fine at high way speeds (IE above 65), but when I slow down on normal surface roads or anything I still climb to that same point by the last white notch.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie
 
WERK I's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 3,291
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwmkkr View Post
Hey Everyone, I just picked up my first Porsche - a 1988 turbo in Guards Red with a tan interior.

I love the car, but it definitely needs some love...the steering has a little play and the shifter is a bit sloppy. I know those two can be fixed with some new bushings.

My main concern is the oil temps, I seem to be running quite hot. Granted I do live in LA and there is lots of traffic and high temps, but I seem to sit around the last white notch before the red. Is this normal? Or is that too hot?
Congrats on your first Porsche. You're gonna' love it.

I would suggest you change that oil/filter immediately. If the oil got that hot, it's probably lost all its lubricity. Oil that went through the turbocharger was even hotter that what you see on your gauge and may have started coking....not good. There is a small screen located in the turbo sump can that catches small bits of coked oil before it returns to the main oil tank, but on fortunately, any smaller bits that get through the screen, returns to the tank unfiltered. So, there may be small bits of coked oil suspended that may find its way back into the engine. Maybe you'll want to run a fully synthetic oil, if you're not using it already, until you get this cooling issue sorted out. This will give you a slightly higher margin of error, temperature-wise.
I would remove the fan assembly on the front oil cooler and check to see if there is any blockage preventing air flow through the cooler.

I'm not trying to alarm you, but I had a similar situation when I was trying to get back into the U.S. from Canada shortly after 9/11. The traffic backups were horrendous and the engine got into the range that shows on your gauge. The problem I had was the coked bits got into the spray bars that lubricated the valve train and clogged up two areas, cylinders 5 &6. Wiped out the lobes on those two cylinders. And I was using a "synthetic-blend" at the time.

How long are you sitting in traffic before you see the gauge rise like that?
__________________
Dave
'85 930 Factory Special Wishes Flachbau
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 07-13-2014, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered User
 
beepbeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Sweden
Posts: 5,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwmkkr View Post
Copper tubes are just fine, fan and cooler work. I seem to be fine at high way speeds (IE above 65), but when I slow down on normal surface roads or anything I still climb to that same point by the last white notch.
In that case you might want to lift the shroud off the engine and take a look on how cylinder fins and primary oil cooler look like. There is a slight possibility that you have a mouse nest there or such.
__________________
Thank you for your time,
Old 07-13-2014, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered User
 
tailwind22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Moses Lake, WA
Posts: 692
Garage
Not to steer away from the theme of the post but what is your oil pressure cruising at 3000 rpm? Should be 3 bar minimum. As Tony stated in a post above the reading you are showing at idle is pretty low although somewhat of a function of very hot oil. Welcome to the forum and you have a great looking classic Guards Red 930.
__________________
89 Porsche 911 Targa, 25,000 miles, bone stock
73 Porsche 911 RSR Tribute awaiting Rothsport motor
76 Porsche 914 Raby motor
70 Porsche 916-6
73 Porsche 914
Old 07-13-2014, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 32
Thanks for the advice. Not only is this my first Porsche, but the first time I will be working on a car truly 'myself.' I'm mechanically inclined, but not extremely knowledgeable. So, Ill have to take this slowly and seek help here and there with things like changing the oil filter/checking it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERK I View Post
Congrats on your first Porsche. You're gonna' love it.

I would suggest you change that oil/filter immediately. If the oil got that hot, it's probably lost all its lubricity. Oil that went through the turbocharger was even hotter that what you see on your gauge and may have started coking....not good. There is a small screen located in the turbo sump can that catches small bits of coked oil before it returns to the main oil tank, but on fortunately, any smaller bits that get through the screen, returns to the tank unfiltered. So, there may be small bits of coked oil suspended that may find its way back into the engine. Maybe you'll want to run a fully synthetic oil, if you're not using it already, until you get this cooling issue sorted out. This will give you a slightly higher margin of error, temperature-wise.
I would remove the fan assembly on the front oil cooler and check to see if there is any blockage preventing air flow through the cooler.

I'm not trying to alarm you, but I had a similar situation when I was trying to get back into the U.S. from Canada shortly after 9/11. The traffic backups were horrendous and the engine got into the range that shows on your gauge. The problem I had was the coked bits got into the spray bars that lubricated the valve train and clogged up two areas, cylinders 5 &6. Wiped out the lobes on those two cylinders. And I was using a "synthetic-blend" at the time.

How long are you sitting in traffic before you see the gauge rise like that?
Old 07-13-2014, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailwind22 View Post
Not to steer away from the theme of the post but what is your oil pressure cruising at 3000 rpm? Should be 3 bar minimum. As Tony stated in a post above the reading you are showing at idle is pretty low although somewhat of a function of very hot oil. Welcome to the forum and you have a great looking classic Guards Red 930.
Once I'm moving/giving it throttle the oil pressure goes up above 3 bar. It doesn't show however when I am just idling. Thanks for the kind words...cant wait to get her just the way I want her.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:16 PM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.