Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Oil cooler fan

I'm trying to fix my overheat issues that I'm facing when I take the car to track days.

I will try to move the oil coolers forward and open more in front and duct better.

When looking at the oil cooler fan, I thing there must be any better than the one I have.
The one installed looks like it is blocking a lot of air flow.

I remember looking at a fan with much smaller motor. Motor does not need to be slim, but smaller diameter so it's not in the way of airflow.

Does anyone have a great link to where I can buy a better fan ?

This is what mine looks like.

1986 944 Turbo
Old 06-30-2014, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Just a thought... Have you thought to try getting an air scoop to help with the air flow...It helped a bit for my trombone style until I got a center mount....

If anything I would use compressed air and clean that sucker...Looks pretty clogged...

New Oil Cooler Air Scoop Fits Porsche 911 s SC 930 Turbo 1974 89 Buy One or Two | eBay

1979 930 - Black on Black and in the woods

"My third child that will cost more in the long run" :shock:
Old 07-01-2014, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
here's a shot of my OE fan for comparison - maybe it's me but yours doesn't seem too too much bigger?

agreed on the ducting... either corner indicator scoop or fog light substitute or other creative alternative

good luck

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 07-01-2014, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

One of the most effective things you can do is enclose the front of the cooler and feed air into it through a modified turn sign housing, or an inlet in the spoiler.
I made a f/g enclosure for the front of the coolers. Modified my turn signal housings so all the air coming in goes into the cooler. In my case the top inlet is for the turn signal housing and the lower inlet is for the spoiler inlets. By not inclosing the front of the cooler some percentage of air will wash over the cooler. I run dual Carrera coolers with no engine cooler on our na3.4.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Google spal fan, got this: SPAL Automotive USA
Old 07-01-2014, 11:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

Trond, Here is my setup... I have one oil cooler in each fender. ( IIRC, yours are single pass flow, mine are dual pass flow). Here are the fans that I bought. I got them from Summitt Racing... Here is the link.. http://www.summitracing.com/ga/parts/der-16509/overview/

Of course, I have not had mine running (YET!!!), but I can stand next to the drivers or passenger door, and when the fans are on, I can feel the air on my legs. (They really do push some air!!!) The second picture, is looking through the carbon fiber front bumper (the actual route some of the air will take to get to the cooler and fan..

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 07-02-2014, 04:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

E-85 sippin drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by vascott01 View Post
Just a thought... Have you thought to try getting an air scoop to help with the air flow...It helped a bit for my trombone style until I got a center mount....

If anything I would use compressed air and clean that sucker...Looks pretty clogged...

New Oil Cooler Air Scoop Fits Porsche 911 s SC 930 Turbo 1974 89 Buy One or Two | eBay
Trond, I would also agree. It looks like from the pictures, that the coolers might need a good cleaning. (maybe in real life, they look look completely different)
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 07-02-2014, 04:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Cheapest would probably be Jegs or Summit in the US.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Toofah King Bad

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by totle View Post
I'm trying to fix my overheat issues that I'm facing when I take the car to track days
Lol buy a new radiator (if you're sure your temps are actually dangerous)

"DETERMINATION. Sometimes cars test us to make sure we're worthy. Fix it." - alfadoc
Old 07-21-2014, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasta Monsta View Post
Lol buy a new radiator (if you're sure your temps are actually dangerous)
LOL not sure you understand the difference between and air cooled motor and a water cooled motor. No such thing as a radiator on an air cooled motor.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 07-21-2014, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Toofah King Bad

Garage
Lol stupid tapatalk....thought I was in the 944 forum. Please forgive!

"DETERMINATION. Sometimes cars test us to make sure we're worthy. Fix it." - alfadoc
Old 07-21-2014, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: