Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Large Member

Garage
smokescreen - diag Q's

finally fired up my POS yesterday after the 7mos of work I've been doing

while it seemed to sound and run real nicely (got that goin for me), was quite dismayed that I'm billowing massive amounts of smoke

pulled the muffler and found what seemed to be some wetness (shiny) in the turbine... not on the blades at all, just in the housing

seemed more like shiny coke - I figured the oil just got cooked and burnt off any wetness?

in my frustration and haste, I pulled the turbo (JWR Garrett / ITS) thinking the seals were spanked

it was then suggested to me that - hey dumabass - it could well be I have a scavenge issue

I'd fitted SC cams that had the scavenge pump bolt holes added. Prior to mounting the pump, we'd measured the thrust of the key and realized it wasn't sufficient for the pump key to get adequate purchase on the bolts - so Chris C sent me a spacer for the pump drive plate which moved the key inward (slightly) to ensure a good bite.

So my questions are...

- if the turbo seals failed, would I have massive amounts of oil in the turbo? I've heard stories of it pouring out while running, etc.

- if the scavenge pump has an issue, does this mean my turbo seals are now also shot? And if there is a scavenge issue and I rectify it (somehow??? ugh!)... will the turbo still be OK? or does it now need to be re-sealed?

- oil is dripping off of the pump's banjo area - can't really discern where and have yet to put a wrench on that to see if it's merely loose or coming from somewhere else - if there is a scavenge issue... would that cause oil to leak out up there? I did all new seals in that area.

I'm not sure how I'd have a scavenge issue... fitting the pump is simple and it 'should' work. WTH?

I'm under a time crunch which doesn't help, t-minus 13daze till turboPALOOZ'er... not looking good at this point but I'm trying to remain optimistic. Still need cb/align, MSD value inputs, and general shakedown

After 7mos of many / mostly consecutive long nights toiling away on this, I'm unfortunately out of energy / patience / resolve / motivation / etc... trying to persevere w/o bellyaching too much and wallowing in my own pathetic self pity and sorrow, but it's certainly a challenge. Oy.

I'm kicking myself for pulling the turbo off last night w/o 1st verifying scavenge flow... remounting it is a PITA and I've got to go to NAPA for some gasket paper to fab up oil feed/drain gaskets for the turbo in order to proceed.

And can't say as I'm relishing the thought of remounting the turbo to sit back there w/ the scavenge line in a bucket... sitting against the hot turbo and horrendously bad smoke. And then to find out the scavenge is OK and have to pull the turbo again.

this is why I'm trying to figure out the best way to proceed here - I'm too frustrated to think clearly at this point, clearly. Damn.

as always gentz... any insight is appreciated - TIA

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 07-11-2014, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You have to test your scavenge pump to know if it's working.
Also does this turbo need an oil restricter in the oil feed line? Ball bearing turbo's do and some journal bearing turbos do too.
3K borg warner K27 turbos are journal bearing and don't use an oil restricter.

What is the name of this turbo? I know you've said it's a hybrid of some Garrett and something else. Is it built on a Garret T04 series or GT series, and is it ball bearing or journal bearing?
A phone call to Durabilt might help. They seem to know about all the turbos and hybrids and people that rebuild them out there.

good luck with it.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
thanks Jim

this is all I know about the unit, from the seller:

"Garrett cartridge, a Garrett 82 hotside and an ITS comp side which is a little larger than the k27 or gt35r. It was custom engineered and built by the engineers at JWR and those boys know what they are doing for sure. Not a cheap turbo they sold for almost 3g's new and this one is like new. It fits well and is easy if you can fab.

It requires taking out the little piece of engine tin surrounding the old turbo, 3 ten MM bolts and done, no cutting. Then use 2.5" silicone conector to your uppipe and your done. 1 hr. tops."

so alleged to be plug and play on an otherwise stock 930... same flange, no restrictor needed

I'll try Durabuilt now...

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 07-11-2014, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The exhaust turbine or "hot side" housing AR is 82 then. From what I've read that size is common for all around use in a 3.3 liter stock, SC, or 964 cammed 930.

It would be good to know what Garrett center bearing cartridge is on that turbo and I have never heard of an ITS turbo. A google search didn't come up with one either but maybe I didn't look long enough.

Durabilt does mention IHI turbos on their website.
Durabilt-Turbo.com - www.durabilt-turbo.com
Old 07-11-2014, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: