Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Any tips on storing my 930

Hi all, I'm taking an overseas contract for 3 years. I'm thinking about storing my 930 during this period, any tips or recommendations for this process?
Old 07-11-2014, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz 930 turbo View Post
Hi all, I'm taking an overseas contract for 3 years. I'm thinking about storing my 930 during this period, any tips or recommendations for this process?
Just ship her to me and I'll keep her in good shape

Interesting thread to follow!
Old 07-11-2014, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

storage

Mice and humidity can be a big problem. I might talk to a pest control business for some suggestions. If humidity is a problem, it can lead to numerous electrical, brake and clutch problems.
I think my best bet would be to look into some climate controlled storage environment.
Might cost more up front but maybe eliminate problems.
As an aside, I am in the process of replacing a clutch disk that rusted to the flywheel.
High humidity and inactivity....
Cheers!!
Old 07-12-2014, 04:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

OZ,
Just curious, where are you heading to? I passed the 3-year mark on my overseas work this past Feb. I usually make it back for about 2-weeks every 6 months or so. If you won't be returning for a year or more, I'd consider using fogging oil down the intake and in the spark plug holes. I've had good luck with the following:

Fuel treatment: The star-tron enzyme fuel treatment was recommended to me by a well-known engine builder who builds engines for high performance boats that tend to sit every winter. Run the car down below 1/4 tank, add and drive the car to get it mixed and throughout the fuel system. I've had good luck even with the donkey urine they call gas on the east coast (knock on wood).

Tires: I have a second set of wheels with good tires that I put on when I come home for driving. I swap out my original fuchs with their ancient tires prior to departing. Six months will flat spot tires enough where it won't go away after driving even if you over-inflate them a little (experienced on my pickup truck). If you don't have a second set you can put the car up on jackstands, but you may want to block up the suspension some as well, as I've heard it can damage the seals in your shocks to leave the suspension at full droop for long periods like that.

Battery: One of the battery tenders would probably be a good option, but I simply remove my batteries and place them in the house where they won't be subjected to freezing temperatures. Possibly an old wives tale, but I follow it - don't place the batteries directly on concrete, set them up on wood or something else.

Mice: I live out in the country, so we inevitably get mice every spring and fall. It seems everyone has a different idea of what keeps the mice out; mothballs, dried blood, dryer sheets, yet for every idea there seems to be three people who tried them and still had mouse problems. I've had the best luck with my bucket trap in the garage:

Take a 5-gallon bucket and pour a gallon of RV-antifreeze in it followed by 1-cup of vegetable or other cheap oil (prevents it from smelling). Take an old beer can and drill 1/8" holes on center-line. Fish a wire coat-hanger through the beer can and reconnect the hanger so the can spins easily on the coat hanger axle. Bend the hanger so the can remains centered.

Glue some sunflower seeds or peanuts to the outside of the can and throw a couple inside the can for good measure. Hang the hanger/can so that the can sits even with the top of the bucket. Place a 2x4 or something as a ramp leading up to the long edge of the can.

When you come back, the RV antifreeze and oil are biodegradable, so you can just toss the whole contents in the woods (it will stink when that oil comes off!).

Good luck,
Todd

“The only thing we learn from history is that we learn nothing from history.” ― Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
Old 07-12-2014, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
89 930.

Garage
Put a box of bounce sheets thrown about in the car. It keeps mice out. If they cant smell predators, they wont move in.
And you car smells great when you return.

Yes... it works.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks all for the responses. I was thinking of flooding the cylinders with fresh oil as well. Are these engines prone to internal rust if not started in a long period. The engine was only rebuilt a few years back and I don't want to ruin it. I can get someone to start the engine every month or so but would this do more damage than good ?
Old 07-12-2014, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Bring it to my brother's house in Los Angeles, & don't forget to leave the keys!
Old 07-12-2014, 11:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I am currently in London and my car remained in Canada. I am only here for 18 months so it was a bit easier for me.
I simply preserved the fuel (full tank) with stabiliser. It says it is only good for up to 2 years (depending on the brand) so taking the car out once a year to use the fuel may not be a bad idea. I also sprayed fogging oil in the cylinders and exhaust before plugging it with an oily rag to keep the moisture out. Inside the car, I left some boxes of baking soda to keep the moisture down and I put the car up on blocks. The tires are touching the ground but not much weight is on them.
Fresh oil in the engine to reduce the acidity which could cause corrosion inside the engine.
I also removed the battery. A guy will be trickle charging it once in a while but I would not expect miracles after 3 years. I would not leave it in there with a battery tender as you can never be sure it won't leak and damage your battery tray area.
When I come back, I will just change the oil and brake fluid, inspect the rest including tires and give it a try. Also, it is a good idea to turn the engine over with the spark plugs removed before starting as oil or fuel could have leaked in the cylinders and hydro-locked the pistons which could cause catastrophic consequences if you just crank the engine.
I was originally going to ship the car here with me in a sea container but insurance companies did not like to insure it in London so I cancelled that.
I understand I have a fairly limited experience on this but I'm sure others will add to this.
Good luck!
David
(P.S. It is really hard to not have the car for a long time)
1985 Black 930, K27 7006, Garretson Intercooler, Adj boost, TB: 23 - 31mm, bielstein sport shocks, ER polybronze bushings front and rear, ER monoball joints front and rear with offset camber plates, 935 X triangulated strut brace, raised spindles, racing bump steer kit
1981 Black 911sc (sold)

Last edited by Roby466; 07-13-2014 at 03:08 AM..
Old 07-13-2014, 03:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: