Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
umop apisdn

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrorunner View Post
928 cis-e is looking interesting.
we thought so too, which created the monster experiment on my 928

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinc69 View Post
how do I get my hands on the FrankenCIS block for basic CIS?
Email Mike at info@dkubus.com and he will look after you. My guys are still working on the websites, so we are operating manually at the moment.

The GM map sensors seem to be a popular choice http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/map-gm-bar-map-sensor-p-161.html

www.FrankenCIS.com

Last edited by Reanimotion; 03-19-2015 at 09:15 PM..
Old 03-05-2015, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #321 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reanimotion View Post
Rob,
From a little google searching it looks like the SC is an updraft air plate and therefore the parts I've listed for the 928 and 930 won't work.

I found this photo for an 82. If yours is the same setup you may still be able to use the CIS-E fuel head on the CIS air plate housing but the same test on mine required 2.5 turns of the mixture screw towards rich to make it run. It will just be a bigger experiment

The alternatives are still standard CIS and the FrankenCIS WUR replacement
or
A compromise option might be to change to a CIS lambda head with the frequency valve. It still has the WUR in the system but the Frequency valve is capable of the same fine mixture adjustment as the later CIS-E setup.

I don't want to discourage you if you have the urge to try. I just want to make it clear that you would be venturing into uncharted territory.
I really like the idea of the CIS-E setup, so I would like to wait and see if any other 6 cyl., non-turbo, owners try this out. I don't mind being a pioneer but I know my mechanical limitations and do not want to get frustrated or stuck without someone local to turn to for help.

I am also trying to figure the best way to get familiar with the tuning software for the Megasquirt. The link you provided previously allows you to download a 'lite' version for free but I had some problems loading your download on to the interface, for lack of a better explanation. Any suggestions on getting up to speed on the Megasquirt software management?

Thanks again.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #322 (permalink)
umop apisdn

Sorry the sample project in our firmware file seems to only work on the registered version of TunerStudio

I've added a normal project folder to the zip file for the Lite version if you wish to re-download and try again.

www.FrankenCIS.com

Last edited by Reanimotion; 04-21-2015 at 04:53 PM..
Old 03-05-2015, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #323 (permalink)
umop apisdn

In addition to completing the re-installation job on my car, we are working on the website and documentation this week.

the initial draft of the manual is now up for those that may be installing soon, there is still some work to do on the software section, but the all important wiring is there now FrankenCIS-Manual

As for the 928, I'm having some serious WYAIT (while you are in there) issues that have been the main delays. At present it looks like I've come close to replacing just about every perishable rubber and moving wear part on the top half of the engine. Being OCD is a drag

www.FrankenCIS.com
Old 03-08-2015, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #324 (permalink)
umop apisdn

This seems to be a good alternative to the original Aux Air Regulator too - the ends are a few mm larger but with new oem hoses they stretch over nicely and grab the barbs.

BMW unit and controllable by the MicroSquirt - so on mine it replaces the original idle valve and the additional air solenoid for AirCon idle up simplifying the plumbing a bit and bringing proper idle speed control.

www.FrankenCIS.com

Last edited by Reanimotion; 03-08-2015 at 05:55 PM..
Old 03-08-2015, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #325 (permalink)

Nice manual! This helps make the physical install pretty straight forward.

I did have some items I was hoping you could comment on. They may be basic questions but I wouldn't mind some feedback to improve my understanding of the intentions within TunerStudio

K-Jet Base Control Pressure - It's my understanding there will be a different CP MAP for every type of WUR replaced. For my particular car I have the factory pressure range via ambient temp which I've rebuilt it and it resembles the manual but not anywhere close the sample in tuner studio. Is the TS sample file a real control pressure map that was used?

Injector Dead-Time/PWM - Under the base settings should my Min and Max kPa be the exact min/max of my control pressure map? Again the sample lists a much wider band than the manual.

AFR Table 1 - Seems to be a usable. Targets look good?

Fuel VE Table 1- Seems wrong? All of the values are 105 sans 6 cells in the cruise/decel area. I was expecting to see more of a spread from low to high...

Thanks!
Old 03-09-2015, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #326 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
umop apisdn

Thanks! there is still a lot to add though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
K-Jet Base Control Pressure ... Is the TS sample file a real control pressure map that was used?
Yes the CP map is from my 928

Quote:
Injector Dead-Time/PWM - Under the base settings should my Min and Max kPa be the exact min/max of my control pressure map? Again the sample lists a much wider band than the manual.
Min-Max here is for physical effective range on the chosen injector - normally 0-90%
Remember we can tune outside of the warmup map on the main VE table if we need to and the setting here is to stop the system from running outside of what the injector is capable of.

Quote:
AFR Table 1 - Seems to be a usable. Targets look good?

Fuel VE Table 1- Seems wrong? All of the values are 105 sans 6 cells in the cruise/decel area. I was expecting to see more of a spread from low to high...
The maps and setups are only a starting point for playing around

The AFR table is as supplied from MegaSquirt and not our doing although it should be a good beginning

The VE tables are also supposed to be all 100 - we did a quick add to the zip file of the test project we have here for those that don't have the registered version of TunerStudio which is why the numbers are a bit off. You will also notice it's set to V8 etc. so most of the settings will need to be validated and adjusted for the target vehicle.

www.FrankenCIS.com
Old 03-09-2015, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #327 (permalink)

Quote:
The VE tables are also supposed to be all 100 - we did a quick add to the zip file of the test project we have here for those that don't have the registered version of TunerStudio which is why the numbers are a bit off. You will also notice it's set to V8 etc. so most of the settings will need to be validated and adjusted for the target vehicle.
Thanks for the info.

The Fuel VE table still confuses me though...I've never see one that is all just 100. Based on what I've read so far that wouldn't that just flood the engine at idle?? Or are you saying this the base Tuner Studio map and I need to adjust from here/this wasn't what your test car is running at?

Sorry for being a n00b, trying to get upto speed!
Old 03-09-2015, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #328 (permalink)
umop apisdn

think of the 100 as 100% of normal CIS fuel delivery

On a stock setup
Once the WUR has warmed up, CIS will happily deliver the appropriate fuel for the current airflow

In FrankenCIS
We are adding or subtracting fuel from the amount CIS would normally deliver
so 100 = stock
0-99 = leaner than stock
101-200 = richer than stock

www.FrankenCIS.com
Old 03-09-2015, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #329 (permalink)

Garage
I've been in contact with Mike regarding suppling a kit, he's been really helpful sofar.
He says I will also be able to control my timing when connected to my msd 6al, which is a bonus, don't need to purchase a programmable 6al and have the hassle of changing them over.
1980 SC Flatnose, Euro 3.0, LW Flywheel, 993 Cams, Port & Polish Heads, RS Cut Valves, MSD 6AL, Blaster Coil, Magnacor Leads, Boxster Brakes, WEVO Mounts, TRG Roll Bars, Rollcage, RSR rear fenders, OE Short Sift, K27 7200 Turbo Conversion, OBX Headers, Tial Wastegate, EFI MicroSquirt v3
Old 03-09-2015, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #330 (permalink)
umop apisdn

Yes, that is the bonus part of the concept - it brings the extra toys available in standalone EFI to CIS, so ignition control, boost control with a waste-gate solenoid, launch control, nitrous and so on are all possible if and when you are ready.

www.FrankenCIS.com
Old 03-09-2015, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #331 (permalink)

Quote:
think of the 100 as 100% of normal CIS fuel delivery
Ahh I see, I was stuck in EFI land. It's great to know people are out there willing to help. I definitely plan to post in the FrankenCIS forum when I get going. Thanks and just ordered a block!
Old 03-10-2015, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #332 (permalink)
umop apisdn

Well, it's been 8 months - 333 posts and 17200 views and we are still here

I've fully rebuilt my entire engine harness. Because I've been using TXL wire and Deutsch DTM connectors for the FrankenCIS system, it seemed stupid to patch in to old wiring. So the old "While You Are In There" itch struck and I kind of got carried away.
In addition to refitting the CIS-E parts and adding modern idle control I've replaced all the rubber hoses and gaskets on the top of the engine.

The CIS-E head should be running again in a few days unless I find something else to fix, clean or replace, its been a while since it last ran so I'm itching to drive the beastie again!

Is anyone else close to having theirs installed yet?

www.FrankenCIS.com

Last edited by Reanimotion; 03-15-2015 at 07:09 AM..
Old 03-15-2015, 04:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #333 (permalink)

I am waiting for someone else to be the first to successfully complete the naturally aspirated 911 conversion before I take any further efforts. Still watching with interest though.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #334 (permalink)
umop apisdn

Well after trying 1001 things that didn't work, I've had a little CNC plate made up to finish the heater plumbing at the back of the cylinder head.

The original 16mm pipe occupied the same space as the air plate sensor and shaft so one of them had to go. This means I can now finalise assembly and start the car again for tuning FINALLY

www.FrankenCIS.com

Last edited by Reanimotion; 03-19-2015 at 05:03 AM..
Old 03-18-2015, 09:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #335 (permalink)
umop apisdn

Assembly almost complete

www.FrankenCIS.com
Old 03-19-2015, 09:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #336 (permalink)
umop apisdn

Our first on the road report for the CIS-E hybrid monster.

Seems to run fine and like normal CIS in behaviour, nice and happy on the road with a flat map at 130 positive

Iím using a grey DPR so the centre point on these is lean

There is a pretty massive jump at Zero (our 100) between negative and positive so the DPR itself is jumpy when changing direction which would explain why Bosch ran them with a positive bias of 30ma or 6ma

We also have an issue on warm starts without the cold start injector active, no fuel and not turning fast enough to come out of cranking mode Ė 300rpm is the default setting and we need 100, there will be an updated ini file to allow this

we also might need some additional speed and resolution to control the EHA/DPR 100hz And 100 steps just isnít fine enough control I think
we have 256 to play with so Iím thinking 50 below zero and 200 above should give us the numbers

www.FrankenCIS.com
Old 03-22-2015, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #337 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Seems to run fine and like normal CIS in behavior, nice and happy on the road with a flat map at 130 positive
Steve. Good to here you have it working.

I have ordered the DPR Module from Mike (thanks), and wanted to confirm the Microsquirt Module v2.2 is compatible. I am designing a circuit board that will allow integration of the Microsquirt Module v2.2 with the DPR module, MAP, serial port, all in the original ECU case and using the original wiring harness. This keeps everything stock looking and requires only 4 additional wires to be added for the MAP and IAT sensors. It also maintains the stock Over-volt Protection Relay, Fuel Pump Relay, and Idle Speed Control Unit (for better or worse). Mike believes you are using the Microsquirt v2.2, but just wanted to confirm since I need to order one to replace my Microsquirt v3 that I have already sold.

Thanks,
Steve

1983 911 SC Cabriolet
1988 Mercedes 560 SEC Koenig Specials
Old 03-23-2015, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #338 (permalink)
umop apisdn

It should work happily on the MicroSquirt module but has not been physically tested

I'm actually running an older alloy cased MicroSquirt V2.0, which is technically and functionally identical to the 2.2 module you plan to use, so all we would need to do is recompile for your board when you are ready

www.FrankenCIS.com

Last edited by Reanimotion; 03-23-2015 at 08:12 AM..
Old 03-23-2015, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #339 (permalink)
umop apisdn

Quote:
...might need some additional speed and resolution to control the EHA/DPR 100hz And 100 steps just isn’t fine enough...
Currently positive results with 1.85kHZ frequency and +/-200 steps, giving finer control and gentle transitions.

www.FrankenCIS.com

Last edited by Reanimotion; 05-26-2015 at 04:56 PM..
Old 03-23-2015, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #340 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: