Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Hi..i am a new user here. You will be offering a dwur & software controlled by a ms ecu. This replaces the stock/blwur, and retain the cis system. Will you be offering a package with the above items and whatever basic sensors needed to get this going? Then, the only thing needed is the ms? What type of laptop is needed to run the software?I'm in the middle of a 3.0 rebuild and still looking at some options. Either rebuilding the fuel head/wur and most likely replacing the injectors, or a basic efi. Since I have the cis stuff I'm leaning towards using it.

printed circuit board assembly service

Last edited by JeanaPerry; 10-12-2016 at 12:17 PM..
Old 09-05-2016, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #601 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reanimotion View Post
It's simple but not obvious at first glance.

The table axis values need to be changed to suit
On the bottom left corner of each table is a button with a 90 degree bent double arrow on it
Press that and the X & Y axis values for load and RPM or whatever can be edited
Ah, You need a registered version. I had registered, but hadn't entered the code yet.

doh!

Last edited by flightlead404; 09-05-2016 at 07:32 AM..
Old 09-05-2016, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #602 (permalink)

After Start Enrichment and Warm Up Enrichment.

There are some default tables in Tuner Studio for these. However, that is one of the functions of the Control Pressure Regulator aka Warm Up Regulator (WUR). In fact, this is the function we model with that base map (see above).

Should these After Start Enrichment and Warm Up Enrichment tables be disabled or zeroed out somehow? Left alone? Would we be better off using these functions to control warm up mixture and make our Base Pressure Map a flat line?
Old 09-05-2016, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #603 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
design overview is at Frankencis and triggering Bosch CDI

as far as I'm aware no-one has tried it yet, as most have gone for either MSD or individual coil control.

Everything is wired up, an working. Exept the rpm signal, got both wires (opto+) connected to the coil, but no signal. i'am using a 123tune ignition, no standard one.

is that a problem?

greetings Mike

2000 Seat Ibiza 6k2 1.6 8v
Old 09-05-2016, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #604 (permalink)
umop apisdn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanaPerry View Post
Will you be offering a package with the above items and whatever basic sensors needed to get this going?
Hi, contact mike at Dkubus - sales@dkubus.com
He will be happy to help provide what you need

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
Should these After Start Enrichment and Warm Up Enrichment tables be disabled or zeroed out somehow? Left alone? Would we be better off using these functions to control warm up mixture and make our Base Pressure Map a flat line?
The stock WUR performs both of these functions, so I initially zeroed out the tables
After start and taper all zero
Warm up all 100
once you get it running then flattening the base control pressure curve and introducing the Warm up and After start adjustments is definitely an option

Because of the electric heater in the stock WUR it actually is closer to the After Start table in operation - stock it begins at the pressure assigned to the current temperature but goes to full lean within arounnd two minutes because of the internal heater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hight View Post
got both wires (opto+) connected to the coil, but no signal. i'am using a 123tune ignition, no standard one.

is that a problem?
Opto+ to coil+ and Opto- to coil- ? Unless 123tune are doing something weird to control the coil it should work if the system is using a standard 12v coil
It might be best to move the opto+ input to the tacho signal if you can and opto- to ground
the coil connection is designed for 12v points ignition so may not be liking the electronic distributor

www.FrankenCIS.com
Old 09-05-2016, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #605 (permalink)

ok so I think I've settled on my plan of attack for this. First, I plan on dynoing the car to get a base HP and torque number as is.

Then I'm going to put the Fcis in with just the sensors, no control, no eWUR. So I can log RPM, MAP, IAT, WBO2 and drive that around for a while. My plan during this phase is to pick up MAP from a T in the line from the TB to the stock WUR. This is non-ported MAP and s/b stable enough for this application.

For the IAT I plan on drilling and tapping the BOV housing between the I/C and the TB and putting the IAT sensor in the airflow there.

I'll also record as best I can the system and control pressures with my gauges but without some re-plumbing of the fuel system I won't be able to collect that with the FrankenCIS or while driving around.

Once I've got some basic information I can use as a starting point I will install the eWUR block and connect the Inj2 to the lambda valve and give the FrankenCIS full authority. I'll continue to get MAP from the same place. I'll tune this as best I can and then dyno again just to see if there are any improvements to be gained on a mostly stock engine with FrankenCIS.

Then I'll install the RarlyL8 headers, hooligan, K27, TK intercooler (with integral IAT port), re-tune, and dyno again.

I'm building a detailed step-by-step on this and will start posting in a separate thread soon.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #606 (permalink)

I'm building a detailed step-by-step on this and will start posting in a separate thread soon.[/QUOTE]

Excellent. I believe your the first to install this system on a 930 so, thx for blazing the trail and documenting it.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #607 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Opto+ to coil+ and Opto- to coil- ? Unless 123tune are doing something weird to control the coil it should work if the system is using a standard 12v coil
It might be best to move the opto+ input to the tacho signal if you can and opto- to ground
the coil connection is designed for 12v points ignition so may not be liking the electronic distributor
No, the manual says opto+ grey/red wire to coil- and opto- to the coils +

what are you meaning by; opto+ to tacho signal?

greetings, Mike

Old 09-25-2016, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #608 (permalink)
umop apisdn

The manual is correct for direct coil connection, but assumes a points based ignition.
sorry for the incorrect assumption on +/- in the post as I've never used that configuration

I had Opto+ connected to the tachometer output of the Porsche CDI ignition controller and Opto- simply grounded

If your tachometer is fed from the 123 ignition box and not the coil then tapping in there may give results

www.FrankenCIS.com
Old 09-25-2016, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #609 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
The manual is correct for direct coil connection, but assumes a points based ignition.
sorry for the incorrect assumption on +/- in the post as I've never used that configuration

I had Opto+ connected to the tachometer output of the Porsche CDI ignition controller and Opto- simply grounded

If your tachometer is fed from the 123 ignition box and not the coil then tapping in there may give results
my 123ignition is not a box.

https://www.123ignitionshop.com/gb/tune-volkswagen/109-123tune4rvv.html
looks like this one

Old 09-25-2016, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #610 (permalink)
umop apisdn

OK, there appears to be just the four wires and no dedicated tachometer output.

The recommended Opto wiring for the MicroSquirt and MegaSquirt relies on Flyback voltage from the coil when it fires and the magnetic field collapses

The 123tune, being electronic, may have internal diode protection from that pulse and therefore the MicroSquirt can no longer see any reverse voltage to trigger from

Does your car have a tachometer and if so where is it getting it's signal from?

www.FrankenCIS.com
Old 09-25-2016, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #611 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
OK, there appears to be just the four wires and no dedicated tachometer output.

The recommended Opto wiring for the MicroSquirt and MegaSquirt relies on Flyback voltage from the coil when it fires and the magnetic field collapses

The 123tune, being electronic, may have internal diode protection from that pulse and therefore the MicroSquirt can no longer see any reverse voltage to trigger from

Does your car have a tachometer and if so where is it getting it's signal from?
Yes, gets its signal from ..... the coil

Old 09-27-2016, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #612 (permalink)

Steve

Are the changes you guys made to the firmware available as a diff or a separate file that can be compiled in when the firmware changes for the MS?

Or are we stuck on what will eventually become and orphaned firmware version if we go MS?

Thanks
Old 09-27-2016, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #613 (permalink)
umop apisdn

from the wiring diagrams I found here it looks like the tachometer feed is a red/black wire? if the tachometer is connected to coil-, then I would try connecting opto+ there and Opto- to ground
make sure the MicroSquirt is set to "Basic Trigger"

www.FrankenCIS.com
Old 09-27-2016, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #614 (permalink)
umop apisdn

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
Steve
Are the changes you guys made to the firmware available as a diff or a separate file that can be compiled in when the firmware changes for the MS?
Or are we stuck on what will eventually become and orphaned firmware version if we go MS?
Thanks
at present, no diff, although we have been including relevant changes and bug fixes as they come out.

The primary FrankenCIS control code is out in it's own sub module and there are a few key bits that are in the main MSExtra code to allow it all to work.
Apart from the new CAN stuff we are pretty much in line with MSextra 3.4 and will keep it updated.

www.FrankenCIS.com
Old 09-27-2016, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #615 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
from the wiring diagrams I found here it looks like the tachometer feed is a red/black wire? if the tachometer is connected to coil-, then I would try connecting opto+ there and Opto- to ground
make sure the MicroSquirt is set to "Basic Trigger"
did it, no rpm signal, think microsquirt is failing. Bring him to check and repair if needed.

Old 10-02-2016, 01:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #616 (permalink)
umop apisdn

If you feel like experimenting a bit and think the unit may be faulty anyway try:

disconnect both of the OPTO connections

connect VRIN+ to the Coil- ( Tachometer )
leave VRIN- disconnected

so simply one wire only from the microsquirt to the coil

OPTO and VR1 share the same processor input but are separate and very different external input designs

The VR inputs on the MicroSquirt v3 use a MAX9926 self adjusting signal conditioner which can handle several hundred volts from a VR sensor as well as 0-5v and 0-12v signals from hall sensors or even points. By leaving the VRIN- disconnected or floating it tells the conditioner to look for changes above and below 2.5v
Above 2.5v = On, Below 2.5v = Off

discussed here Megasquirt Support Forum (MSEXTRA) • New dual VR board V2.0 (View topic)

www.FrankenCIS.com
Old 10-02-2016, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #617 (permalink)

Garage
microsquirt is failing. They are going to fix him. hope to get him back soon.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #618 (permalink)

Garage
Had microsquirt back today. Connect it, and it worked, for a minute. Now failing again.
Opto+ to coil-.
Opto - to ground

did the vr1 option, signal is working, but not stable and not the right rpm's.

Last edited by hight; 10-08-2016 at 06:23 AM..
Old 10-08-2016, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #619 (permalink)
umop apisdn

Try VRIN+ on the Coil-
VRIN- should not be connected to anything

www.FrankenCIS.com
Old 10-08-2016, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #620 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: