Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
umop apisdn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hight View Post
whats with the cp pressure and target cp
Double check the system is in the correct FrankenCIS mode and hasn't reverted to normal EFI
also recheck the CP sensor calibration

www.FrankenCIS.com
Old 03-12-2017, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #801 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenikh View Post
As things appear to be winding down, I'm wondering if one of you would consider creating a digest of your work in this thread: the final components you used, the biggest challenges to overcome, and your tune file. I'm setting aside a week in June to do this conversion and would happily append the documentation.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
IDK about winding down, I've just been slammed. I now have the stock WUR in and controlling the FV with the MS. I've asked Len to make me up a fitting to mount the control pressure sensor on the fuel line to the WUR so I can log it. I've done some tuning, hot and cold starts all seem fine. Allthough there is some stumbling a little on hot starts, but not the no start situation with the eWUy R.

I'm going to take it to a local airport or drag strip and get some WOT pulls on it when I can.

I will definitely put together a summary with all my lessons learned.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #802 (permalink)
3 restos WIP = psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
IDK about winding down, I've just been slammed. I now have the stock WUR in and controlling the FV with the MS. I've asked Len to make me up a fitting to mount the control pressure sensor on the fuel line to the WUR so I can log it. I've done some tuning, hot and cold starts all seem fine. Allthough there is some stumbling a little on hot starts, but not the no start situation with the eWUy R.

I'm going to take it to a local airport or drag strip and get some WOT pulls on it when I can.

I will definitely put together a summary with all my lessons learned.
I picked up a Merc V8 fuel head and am planning to go the same route.

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 03-15-2017, 09:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #803 (permalink)
Old car guy.....

Garage
Quote:
IDK I've asked Len to make me up a fitting to mount the control pressure sensor on the fuel line to the WUR so I can log it.
Len made this fitting for me last year:

and the end result was:

81 SC Euro WB, 930/51, 3.0l Bored & Stroked to 3.2l, Ported Polished Twin Plug heads, Ruf IC, K27 7006, Powerhaus headers, Zork, 009 inj, Alum inj blks, 044 pump, BLwur, Mocal Oil cooler, LM2, 930 4 sp LSD, 930 Brembo brakes, Retroair a/c, Euromeisters.....
2003 BMW Z4 Daily Driver & Autocross car.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #804 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Euro View Post
Len made this fitting for me last year:

and the end result was:

Steve

Thats a digital pressure gauge with a 1/8 npt male fitting? any sign of any cracking or undue stress on the fitting?
Old 03-20-2017, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #805 (permalink)

Garage
Steve, thank you. the cp sensor calibration wasnt ok. the setting was on custom.

changed it to the 100psi one. But now is the sensor making a noise if the car runs?

greetings Mike

2000 Seat Ibiza 6k2 1.6 8v
Old 03-26-2017, 02:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #806 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
umop apisdn

what sort of noise?

The injector pulses at 100hz, could it be that?

www.FrankenCIS.com
Old 03-26-2017, 03:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #807 (permalink)
Old car guy.....

Garage
Quote:
Steve

Thats a digital pressure gauge with a 1/8 npt male fitting? any sign of any cracking or undue stress on the fitting?
No problems to date, installed about a year ago. Haven't had to hook up my cis gauges since. With fp gauges in the cockpit and under the hood along with my lm2 wideband I have great visibility and by swapping the mailbox for the small air cleaner, easy adjustment.
81 SC Euro WB, 930/51, 3.0l Bored & Stroked to 3.2l, Ported Polished Twin Plug heads, Ruf IC, K27 7006, Powerhaus headers, Zork, 009 inj, Alum inj blks, 044 pump, BLwur, Mocal Oil cooler, LM2, 930 4 sp LSD, 930 Brembo brakes, Retroair a/c, Euromeisters.....
2003 BMW Z4 Daily Driver & Autocross car.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #808 (permalink)
3 restos WIP = psycho

Any news?

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 04-07-2017, 09:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #809 (permalink)

My car is getting covered with pollen. That's about it.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #810 (permalink)
3 restos WIP = psycho

LOL. Good luck!

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 04-08-2017, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #811 (permalink)

Did finally drive it today, but no data. I'm thinking about putting the vacuum switch back in line in the blue vacuum line to the back side (nearest to distro) side of the advance/retard capsule to help with cold starting. When I can get out to the airport after the tower has closed I'm going to do a full WOT runs, I've got 6,000' so s/b able to get to the top of third.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #812 (permalink)
umop apisdn

finally the crazy has migrated the other way
K-Jet in a Camaro

www.FrankenCIS.com
Old 04-23-2017, 04:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #813 (permalink)
3 restos WIP = psycho

OK, that IS crazy

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 04-23-2017, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #814 (permalink)

So I got in a couple of hard pulls this weekend. Not the testing I wanted to do, but I'll look at the data later this week. I'm not sure how much time I'll get to spend on this project in the upcoming weeks as my Dad was diagnosed with metastasized cancer today.

I'm still having a starting problem that frustrated me. It is the reason I pulled the eWUR and put the original WUR back in and just setup the MS to control the Lambda. Well it hasn't gone away just changed behavior a little.

When I started the project I had in place the thermovalve inline on the red vac line, and the pierburg thermo time switch on the blue vac line, stock BOV, IC, but with all the air pump and related crap removed. It started on the first turn, every single time, hot or cold.

When I did this project I removed both the thermo valve and thermo time switch, simplifying the hose plan when I put on the new long neck IC, turbo, headers, and BOV. With the eWUR I had hard starting issues documented above. I went back to the original WUR. Things seemed to get a little better, but not gone away completely. Last weekend I put the thermo time switch back in place in the blue line, didn't help matters. It feels like a fueling issue to me, but the mixture is set so it idles right at 14.2:1 at around 850 rpm. I'm stumped.

Any ideas?
Old 04-24-2017, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #815 (permalink)
3 restos WIP = psycho

Sorry to hear about your dad. Best wishes in the times ahead.

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 04-24-2017, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #816 (permalink)

Thanks. He loved 911s, as well as MG's, Lotii, and Jag. We did a bunch of Porsche club track stuff together in the 90's. He could get this 930 around mid-Ohio in a few seconds under 2 minutes. stock.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #817 (permalink)

First and foremost, sorry to hear about your Dad's diagnosis.

With respect to the thermo time switch on the blue vac hose, I just reinstalled that on my car and it simply advances timing about 10 degrees for about a minute. This raises the RPM a few hundred rpm on my car so that it runs better when stone cold. It really doesn't help starting, I wouldn't think and certainly doesn't do anything once its a little warm. The CSV is what gives it that splash of fuel to kick it over. Once its started, then the advanced timing does help to keep it running better when cold.

I have found that whenever my cold control pressure was too high, it was hard cold starting. What are your AFR's at cold start? Your idle AFR is good, but that really isn't indicative of the CCP being in line.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #818 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff NJ View Post
First and foremost, sorry to hear about your Dad's diagnosis.

With respect to the thermo time switch on the blue vac hose, I just reinstalled that on my car and it simply advances timing about 10 degrees for about a minute. This raises the RPM a few hundred rpm on my car so that it runs better when stone cold. It really doesn't help starting, I wouldn't think and certainly doesn't do anything once its a little warm. The CSV is what gives it that splash of fuel to kick it over. Once its started, then the advanced timing does help to keep it running better when cold.

I have found that whenever my cold control pressure was too high, it was hard cold starting. What are your AFR's at cold start? Your idle AFR is good, but that really isn't indicative of the CCP being in line.
Thanks Jeff. So I'm pretty sure the CSV is working correctly. I did replace the temp sensor because the plastic part had cracked, but I put a new part in and I don't suspect that. The CSV valve is in place and its connected. The CSV circuit is powered off the starter and includes the CSV and the temp switch and is isolated from everything else. Would not be effected by issues with the CIS box under the seat for example, or anything I might have changed with the eWUR/fCIS.

My start issues present themselves thusly:
-Cold start starts very low rpm (3-400) takes a few seconds the jumps to 850 where idles smooth. Doesn't idle high.
-Immediate warm start does the same low idle then suddenly back to where is should be. Half hour soak the same
-5 minute hot soak started right up immediately went to 850 then after a second 1,100.

It almost seems like I have the Pierburg switch plumbed backwards, so I'll do some testing there. But it also could be a fueling issue.

I have no way data regarding AFR at startup. It takes a few seconds for the AFR to come online. I may try and jury rig something to make it work prior to start up though.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #819 (permalink)

So when you say a few seconds before it jumps to 850 rpm, is it literally that, or longer? I took a pic of my pierburg switch and the vac line from the disto goes to the top plug and the vac line going to the TB comes from the plug directly under the electrical connector. The rear plug is what vents to atmosphere.

If you put a timing light on, it is obvious when it is working and the timing changes it makes. For my car, it is about 5 deg BTDC until the switch turns off and it retards to about 5 ATDC, so it is easy to see. About a minute after cold start, the 35C temp switch turns off the Pierburg circuit and the timing retards and the rpm noticeably drops.

Your issue doesn't sound like lean AFR, but to get a cold start AFR, I unplug the WUR connector and the AFR doesn't really change much if at all by the time the AFR gauge can get a good reading, since there isn't time for the environment to heat up the WUR element to change the fuel pressure.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #820 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: