Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Many thanks for your candid response Steve.
While I'm always up for a challenge, and better is, well, better, but... sometimes discretion is the better part of valor, to quote Shakespeare...
Old 12-13-2017, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #981 (permalink)
umop apisdn

Cheers,
Happy drivers are the ultimate goal here

www.FrankenCIS.com
Old 12-13-2017, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #982 (permalink)

Could someone tell me please how to mount my 36-1 trigger wheel? How many degrees or tooth before TDC and wich parameters to insert in Tuner Studio?
Old 12-14-2017, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #983 (permalink)
umop apisdn

the general standard is x number of teeth or degrees ahead of the sensor when at TDC

so for a 6 cylinder motor - 6 teeth ahead of the sensor

these two pages might help

https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tech/configuring-megasquirt-for-a-diyautotune-com-crank-trigger/

https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tech/install/install-crank-trigger/

www.FrankenCIS.com
Old 12-14-2017, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #984 (permalink)

I am installing frankencis with ms in my 964 turbo

Were did you guys mount the ms unit, photos?
Were did you mount the beetle temp sensor?
Old 01-06-2018, 03:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #985 (permalink)
3 restos WIP = psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by spjuvern View Post

My plan is to fabricate spacers to move the engine wiring console away from the body, about the width the of the Microsquirt. Then I'll mount the unit behind for a stealth install.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #986 (permalink)

Quote:

There are no beetles in my car, only mice. Very, very scared mice.

I fabricated a bracket that mounts on the RHS side of the intake manifold using a boss that originally held some emissions tomfoolery. The bracket holds a plate with a 6 position ATC fuse block and MAP sensor on one side and the MS on the other. This allows me to power the MS and all related devices (injectors, WBo2 controller and sensor, MS...) with separate ATC style fuses. I power the fuse block from the unused of the 3 position fuse block at the rear LHS of the engine compartment. This is actually fed via a relay switched by CDI power from the delayed relay for reasons I've described in previous posts.

When I get time I'm dropping the engine for cams, clutch, and possibly some other goodies (P's and C's?). When I do that I'm installing crank and cam position sensors and using the MS to control ignition as well, and removing the dizzy and CDI box. When I do that I will likely relocate everything to where the CDI is now.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #987 (permalink)

What Engine temp are you using?
And were is it located?
Old 01-09-2018, 12:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #988 (permalink)

Quote:
What Engine temp are you using?
And were is it located?
I drilled and tapped where the oil temp based thermo valve screws into the crankcase breather cover and use a closed element sensor there. I also have an open element IAT sensor in the neck of the intercooler just about the throttle body.

neither of these are used in any calculations for anything including WUE or ASE. I still have the stock WUR in place for that.

However, when I drop the engine I'll install the TK CHT kit for future use.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #989 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
However, when I drop the engine I'll install the TK CHT kit for future use.
FYI -- you do not have to remove the engine to install our CHT kit, it can be done in the car without too much difficulty. Remove
* scavenge pump
* air injection pulley housing
* engine sheetmetal at cylinder #3
Cut a slot on the sheetmetal for the sensor plate, install the plate in the cooling fins, reassemble.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 01-10-2018, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #990 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKraft View Post
FYI -- you do not have to remove the engine to install our CHT kit, it can be done in the car without too much difficulty. Remove
* scavenge pump
* air injection pulley housing
* engine sheetmetal at cylinder #3
Cut a slot on the sheetmetal for the sensor plate, install the plate in the cooling fins, reassemble.
Thanks Chris, but I don't have any pressing need for it, and I have a long list of things to do when the motor is out (which I will call you about first lol).

Speaking of CHT, what is a safe range for CHT on these things? Or whats the yellow and red zone? On the plane I try and stay below 400*f (Lycoming says 500*f is ok) but occasionally see up to 420 for a few mins. Knowing the CHT is fine, but if you don't know whats ok and what isn't, does it really help much?
Old 01-11-2018, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #991 (permalink)

Quote:

Give me some inspiration pics of your installations of the MS box and more 😃
Old 01-19-2018, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #992 (permalink)

Steve et al

I'm building a testing device to run the lambda valve and eWUR injector at user selectable duty cycles to measure the fuel delivery at various points.

What is a reasonable frequency to use as a base for the PWM control of the lambda valve? Regular fuel injector?

I was going to use 50Hz, 20ms period for both.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #993 (permalink)
umop apisdn

50Hz should be fine,

FrankenCIS operates the Frequency Valve at 100Hz, I believe the original Bosch system also ran at approximately the same frequency.

You will have around 1ms of injector dead time to contend with so if your proposed test system can handle it, increasing the frequency to 100Hz still gives you around 9ms of control range per cycle. More little pulses per second will give a smoother pressure at the fuel head.

www.FrankenCIS.com
Old 01-25-2018, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #994 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reanimotion View Post
50Hz should be fine,

FrankenCIS operates the Frequency Valve at 100Hz, I believe the original Bosch system also ran at approximately the same frequency.

You will have around 1ms of injector dead time to contend with so if your proposed test system can handle it, increasing the frequency to 100Hz still gives you around 9ms of control range per cycle. More little pulses per second will give a smoother pressure at the fuel head.
My problem is getting below 10ms period because I can only count in milliseconds and my code loop approaches a milli to run, more when I'm operating the buttons to adjust the duty cycle. I'm taking a very simplistic approach, min duty cycle of zero, max of 90, adjust in 5% increments on each one independently. I don't think I can get anything useful below a 20ms period. I'm already seeing slight instabilities on the oscilloscope.

I think what I have is probably not the way you'd really run an injector in real life, but s/b good enough for rough numbers.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #995 (permalink)
umop apisdn

50HZ should be fine for a representation of duty cycle to fuel head flow, the curve might be off a bit compared to 100HZ, but min and max will match.

If all you are interested in is the fuel head flow range, another option for flow testing would be a little brass needle valve instead of the frequency valve
as long as it flows more than the injector you could work out the max point and then do your stepped graduations back down to fully closed

www.FrankenCIS.com
Old 01-26-2018, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #996 (permalink)

Garage
Wow thats alot of reading, alot of which I do not understand whatsoever. So with some of the tuning trouble shooting I think this set up maybe way over my head.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #997 (permalink)
3 restos WIP = psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy View Post
Wow thats alot of reading, alot of which I do not understand whatsoever. So with some of the tuning trouble shooting I think this set up maybe way over my head.
It's pretty simple. Buy a Microsquirt and DKUbus harness and WB O2. Buy the adjustable WUR if pre lambda, don't if not. Wire it all up. Tune. Drive.

Everything else (spark control, e-CIS) is optional.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 01-30-2018, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #998 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenikh View Post
It's pretty simple. Buy a Microsquirt and DKUbus harness and WB O2. Buy the adjustable WUR if pre lambda, don't if not. Wire it all up. Tune. Drive.

Everything else (spark control, e-CIS) is optional.

OK Kenikh, that doens't sound as bad. I already have the WB02 sensor and Adjustable WUR.

I'd like to replace my 20 yr old Electromotive TEC1 ignition that is on my car. Would I Microsquirt take care of that? Could I keep my existing TEC1 coils?
Old 01-30-2018, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #999 (permalink)
3 restos WIP = psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy View Post
OK Kenikh, that doens't sound as bad. I already have the WB02 sensor and Adjustable WUR.

I'd like to replace my 20 yr old Electromotive TEC1 ignition that is on my car. Would I Microsquirt take care of that? Could I keep my existing TEC1 coils?
Funny enough, I'm replacing a Tec3 with mine and plan on using the Electromotive coils as well. They can be used with an inline igniter - the Tecs have igniters on the motherboard, and the MS does not. Very common. Lots of shrink wrapped solutions for this issue on diyautotune.com.

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 01-30-2018, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1000 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: