Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Were do you guys take the tacho signal in engine bay?
Old 01-31-2018, 03:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1001 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenikh View Post
Funny enough, I'm replacing a Tec3 with mine and plan on using the Electromotive coils as well. They can be used with an inline igniter - the Tecs have igniters on the motherboard, and the MS does not. Very common. Lots of shrink wrapped solutions for this issue on diyautotune.com.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Is this what you mean by an inline igniter?

https://www.diyautotune.com/shop/coils-ignition-systems/ignition-coil-amplifiersignitors/

Does it make more sense to buy this or just buy a better ECU that has it built in?
Old 01-31-2018, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1002 (permalink)

I wrongly installed the 2 firmware files selecting "connect anyway" instead of "Update ECU Definition".
Could be a problem?
What should I do to repair the installation?
Old 01-31-2018, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1003 (permalink)
3 restos WIP = psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy View Post
Is this what you mean by an inline igniter?

https://www.diyautotune.com/shop/coils-ignition-systems/ignition-coil-amplifiersignitors/

Does it make more sense to buy this or just buy a better ECU that has it built in?
This: https://www.diyautotune.com/product/bosch-bip373-coil-driver-mod-kit/

Unsure of there's an MS2 implementation with on board coil drivers.

Instructions:

https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tech/other/bosch-bip373-ignition/

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930

Last edited by kenikh; 01-31-2018 at 01:57 PM..
Old 01-31-2018, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1004 (permalink)
umop apisdn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rital24 View Post
I wrongly installed the 2 firmware files selecting "connect anyway" instead of "Update ECU Definition".
Could be a problem?
What should I do to repair the installation?
You can manually select the correct INI file from within the project settings

open your project

if you get the following screen again select "Update ECU Definition" and select the correct INI file

otherwise

go to file >> Projects >> project properties

in the middle of the page there should be a tick box "Other / Browse"

Tick the box and a find file window will open

Point to the correct ini file which was included with the firmware s19 file

www.FrankenCIS.com
Old 01-31-2018, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1005 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenikh View Post
Funny enough, I'm replacing a Tec3 with mine and plan on using the Electromotive coils as well. They can be used with an inline igniter - the Tecs have igniters on the motherboard, and the MS does not. Very common. Lots of shrink wrapped solutions for this issue on diyautotune.com.

You should be able to run 6 smart 4-wire COPs or go CNP in a wasted spark config on the same microsquirt as is controlling your fuel without additional igniters.

I was thinking about twin plug and COPs haven't gotten far enough to see if I need anything special to drive essentially 4 COPs off each ignition event.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1006 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spjuvern View Post
Were do you guys take the tacho signal in engine bay?
Splice into the tacho wire from the CDI, black/purple I think
Old 01-31-2018, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1007 (permalink)

Thank you Steve for your support.

Now a little updating:
Microsquirt connected and in working conditions, registered version of Tunerstudio with Frankencis firmware installed,
a 36-1 trigger in front of crank pulley, an AEM wideband x series, here I read a value of 0.2 more on the pc compared to the gauge.

Now I'm connecting the device, how thick should be the wires?
Where to connect the ground? To engine or I've to use the Microsquirt one?

Could I use the original 4 poles Cts?
I don't have TPS ,Wich one could I adapt?

What is the minimum required to start the engine ?

The car is a Mercedes C124 3 liter 6 cylinders ke III.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1008 (permalink)
umop apisdn

Mike from Dkubus is the best to ask about Mercedes installations

If the AEM wideband is calibrated correctly on the Microsquirt, and the wiring is good, I'd personally trust the PC over the gauge.

By 'Device' if you men the DPR/EHA module then the DPR module should have 20ga or better wiring, max is 150mA with the norm around 30-40, so not much current capacity needed. Grounding with the microsquirt is best.

TPS is not really needed, the MAP sensor is sufficient for both load and acceleration data.

www.FrankenCIS.com
Old 02-05-2018, 12:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1009 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
Splice into the tacho wire from the CDI, black/purple I think
On the Frankencis wiring diagram I can only see tacho out.
What pin should i use for this tacho in?
Old 02-05-2018, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1010 (permalink)
umop apisdn

from Post #940
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
Pick up the RPM input by splicing in to the Black/Violet signal line from the CDI to the tach and connecting that to VR1+, leave VR1- floating.

www.FrankenCIS.com
Old 02-05-2018, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1011 (permalink)

Hello,
I've completed all the connections: Dpr, Map,trigger wheel.
Today I tried to configure tunerstudio.
The first part "Engine and Sequential Settings" is ok, but on "Injector dead time/PWM" I can change values only on " battery voltage correction", the others parameters aren't activated.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1012 (permalink)
umop apisdn

go back to engine and sequential settings
what have you selected for Injector Port Type?

it should not be "Port Injection / T-Body" as that selects normal EFI mode

www.FrankenCIS.com
Old 02-09-2018, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1013 (permalink)

What do you recomend?
Should i buy tunerstudio ms Ultra with logg HD
Or just tunerstudio ms and the logg?
Old 02-09-2018, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1014 (permalink)
umop apisdn

I own and use both the standard MS version along with Log HD

Ultra seems to include Log HD plus some extras in the one package for very close to the same price of MS/HD so I would go for Ultra
tunerstudio-feature-matrix

www.FrankenCIS.com
Old 02-09-2018, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1015 (permalink)
umop apisdn

Ultra should not need the separate Log HD

www.FrankenCIS.com
Old 02-09-2018, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1016 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reanimotion View Post
go back to engine and sequential settings
what have you selected for Injector Port Type?

it should not be "Port Injection / T-Body" as that selects normal EFI mode

Thank you Steve,
Yes, I've selected ke jetronic/dpr.

I've also reinstalled your firmware.
What should I try now?

Last edited by Rital24; 02-09-2018 at 09:38 PM..
Old 02-09-2018, 08:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1017 (permalink)
umop apisdn

For KE-Jetronic / DPR mode, there is nothing to be set on the Injector Dead-time page in version 556kU
Battery voltage correction should be the only active field

The K-Jetronic base settings section is for earlier WUR based systems only

www.FrankenCIS.com
Old 02-09-2018, 09:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1018 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reanimotion View Post
For KE-Jetronic / DPR mode, there is nothing to be set on the Injector Dead-time page in version 556kU
Battery voltage correction should be the only active field

The K-Jetronic base settings section is for earlier WUR based isystems only
I'm little confused because on section 3.2 CIS-E page 16 of Frankencis manual there is the injection dead window where I see Dpr Max - duty cycle enabled.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1019 (permalink)
umop apisdn

manual was done using screens from 5.44

changes to CIS-E code in later versions now have VE to mA in an approximate 1:1 ratio with battery voltage compensation so the manual settings are not necessary

www.FrankenCIS.com
Old 02-10-2018, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1020 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: