Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

****!
I wrongly connected the two wires that should be connect frankencis to eha directly to the two wires coming from ke Ecu!
A 16A fuse that I put between 12V switched to frankencis is burned.
I suppose something other is fried because when I open tunestudio I see no variation in any device.
Now how can I check if frankencis is broken?some continuity check or other?
Old 02-12-2018, 03:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1021 (permalink)
umop apisdn

If you can still communicate with the MicroSquirt with Tunerstudio then it is probably ok
the control drivers INJ1 and INJ2 are both 12v protected between the MicroSquirt and the DPR module, nothing should have hurt the MicroSquirt if it was wired up correctly.

The FrankenCIS DPR module can be damaged if 12v has been applied to the outputs while the unit is powered, internally one or both of the outputs are possibly shorted to ground

16A is a BIG fuse, check for shorts or burnt wiring in the harnesses as the fuse will have taken some time to blow

www.FrankenCIS.com
Old 02-12-2018, 05:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1022 (permalink)

Thank you Steve.

The Ms is in order.
All the wires also good.
I need to change some of the metallic pins of the frankencis connectors.
I can't find these kinds of connectors here .
Please could you tell me the name or the code so I can order them on Amazon or eBay?
Old 02-14-2018, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1023 (permalink)
umop apisdn

ampseal 770854-1

AMP : 770854-1 Automotive, Truck, Bus, & Off-Road Terminals | TE Connectivity

www.FrankenCIS.com
Old 02-14-2018, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1024 (permalink)

OK!
Fortunately it seems nothing is blown!
I started the car today for the first time, it starts immediately but I read an afr ratio of 8/9 and -20 ma on the dpr gauge.

Now this is my current setup:

- I've map correctly installed.

- AEM wideband correctly installed.

- I'm using the stock CLT of which I've the curve. Here a question: Which Bias value should I enter in tunerstudio during configuration? 2490?

- I have connected the stock idle valve to MS, I've inserted a 1N4007 diode (not a 1N4001, I suppose could works) between the 2 wires of the idle valve Ok?

- It is necessary to connect the airflow potentiometer some where?

Did you create a base map in your firmware for DPR/KE configuration or base configuration is for EFI only? I don't see the 100s map read somewhere above.
If not could you give me some indication to start without doing damage?!

I've never tuned a car before, I'm learning (much things) thanks to this project.

Last edited by Rital24; 02-17-2018 at 01:23 PM..
Old 02-17-2018, 01:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1025 (permalink)

I have loaded in the frankencis firmware in my microsquirt ecu but now when i try to connect it says like this

And the gauge cluster look like this

How do I get this right?
Old 02-17-2018, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1026 (permalink)
umop apisdn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rital24 View Post
- I'm using the stock CLT of which I've the curve. Here a question: Which Bias value should I enter in tunerstudio during configuration? 2490?
yes 2490 is correct for the Microsquirt

Quote:
- It is necessary to connect the airflow potentiometer some where?
not necessary unless you wish to use it for logging data or tuning

Quote:

Did you create a base map in your firmware for DPR/KE configuration or base configuration is for EFI only? I don't see the 100s map read somewhere above.
If not could you give me some indication to start without doing damage?!
there are no base maps
for DPR/KE all cells in the VE table set to 120 would be a fair starting point

www.FrankenCIS.com
Old 02-17-2018, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1027 (permalink)
umop apisdn

Quote:
Originally Posted by spjuvern View Post
I have loaded in the frankencis firmware in my microsquirt ecu but now when i try to connect it says like this
there is an .ini file with the same name as the .s19 firmware file in the FrankenCIS firmware package you downloaded
this need to be loaded into tunerstudio

follow the instructions in that screen and load the correct configuration (.ini) file

Quote:
And the gauge cluster look like this
How do I get this right?
the gauge screen is configurable

the simple process is to right click on any gauge to change the data to show on that control

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=tunerstudio+dashboard+designer

www.FrankenCIS.com
Old 02-17-2018, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1028 (permalink)

Yes i did browse and chose megasquirt2.ini file

But should not gauge window look like yours then with cis stuff?
And if i go to engine settings it is on port injection / t-body
Not frankencis.
Do I nead to do all those configurations or should it not come with the firmware?
Old 02-18-2018, 12:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1029 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reanimotion View Post
yes 2490 is correct for the Microsquirt

not necessary unless you wish to use it for logging data or tuning

there are no base maps
for DPR/KE all cells in the VE table set to 120 would be a fair starting point
120 in all fuel ve table cells.

- What I see on FrankenCis DPR gauge? The ma to EHA? I read over 120 during crank fase.

- Which value do I enter in Startup/Idle? Cranking, prime pulse etc?
Time based acc. enrich.?

- Could I share the stock CLT in such a way that the EZL can control ignition timing in correct way?
Old 02-18-2018, 03:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1030 (permalink)
umop apisdn

Quote:
Yes i did browse and chose megasquirt2.ini file

But should not gauge window look like yours then with cis stuff?
And if i go to engine settings it is on port injection / t-body
Not frankencis.
Do I nead to do all those configurations or should it not come with the firmware?
the FrankenCIS firmware uses all the normal MegaSquirt defaults including settings and dash layout

This is deliberate as there are three different versions of CIS we can configure for, therefore the safest and least confusing start point is with nothing specific turned on

Yes you will need to change the injection mode then make choices on the rest of the settings to suit your specific installation

www.FrankenCIS.com
Old 02-18-2018, 03:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1031 (permalink)
umop apisdn

A quick reminder to everyone

I'm only providing clarification on how the system operates with CIS components

I am not an engine tuner, and I have no direct experience with Mercedes or 911 engines etc. I created FrankenCIS using my Porsche 928 as a development mule. I also relied heavily on feedback from Mike from Dkubus as well as all of the brave souls that installed FrankenCIS on their vehicles.

Therefore nothing I provide as information here should be considered tuning advice in any way !!

Quote:
120 in all fuel ve table cells.
- What I see on FrankenCis DPR gauge? The ma to EHA? I read over 120 during crank fase.
- Which value do I enter in Startup/Idle? Cranking, prime pulse etc?
Time based acc. enrich.?
- Could I share the stock CLT in such a way that the EZL can control ignition timing in correct way?
you are seeing over 120 during cranking because other modifiers are active

VE = 120 should provide 20mA to the EHA
cranking Pulse % - after start % - warm up enrichment
all have an effect on the EHA output so a VE of 120 might provide a much larger mA to the EHA after calculations are done

setting cranking Pulse % - after start % - warm up enrichment all to 100% will turn off most of the modifications

I don't believe sharing the CLT sensor between the EZL and MicroSquirt is possible separate sensors are needed for both systems to work properly

www.FrankenCIS.com
Old 02-18-2018, 04:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1032 (permalink)

Thank you Steve.

I believe the biggest contraindication of FrankenCis is that unfortunately it isn't a "plug and Play" solution.
The people who decide to embark on this adventure and are not professional mechanics, need to learn many things along the way and every indication and advice is fundamental.
In my case this experience is giving me fun (sometimes headache) but above all it allows me to learn many things including the English language...
FrankenCis is a brilliant intuition and I want to thank you for this opportunity but please forgive me if I ask questions that many on this forum may seem obvious..
Old 02-19-2018, 04:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1033 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Rital24;9930765]120 in all fuel ve table cells.

I did not understand if on Frankencis DPR gauge (on Tunerstudio gauge cluster) I read the real current (mA) that goes to EHA or the fuel VE value.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1034 (permalink)
umop apisdn

Correct, FrankenCIS will never be "Plug and Play", and honestly that is a good thing.
To be even close to P&P we would have needed to severely limit the flexibility of the system.

There is a lot to learn, and the journey will be frustrating, but it is also rewarding when things go well.
Begin with basic Fuel control, then over time, as you become comfortable with the system you can introduce the advanced features available

The DPR Gauge should be reading the real current ( mA ) that goes to the EHA

So with all modification areas turned off (Warm Up, AFR, Cranking etc. )
VE=85 should be -15mA
VE=100 should be 0mA
VE=110 should be 10mA
and so on

my tune on the 928 usually has around +90mA during cranking and then drops to between +10ma and +30mA when running

Please also try to obtain advice from friends or a local Engine Tuner that have experience with tuning EFI or CIS on your specific engine type.
knowing the correct AFR range for your engine is very important to avoid damage

www.FrankenCIS.com
Old 02-19-2018, 05:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1035 (permalink)

Also with 80 in fuel ve table the car don't start (at 80 C coolant temp.). It is too rich.
It starts only entering very low values in cranking pulse and priming pulse , I put 1 in the cells. When starts idle is stable but I've 11/12 AFR.

It is possible that on some model as my Mercedes the 2 pins on the the DPR are inverted compared to Porsche for example?
My connection respects FrankenCis instructions.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1036 (permalink)
umop apisdn

Porsche never used the later KE-Jet system with the DPR/EHA valve

My installation uses a Mercedes fuel head with a VW DPR at the moment, but I started the tests with a Black Mercedes EHA. Pins 1 & 2 on both devices are the same polarity.

if the connections are correct then a VE of 80 and no warm up or after start corrections in the tune, the EHA should be operating at -20mA and turning off the fuel. a VE of 1 should be supplying a stronger negative current at -99mA and definitely supplying no fuel at all

if the connections were reversed VE=1 should be richer than VE=80

I would guess there is something in the warm up or temperature based settings that is massively altering the final output to the EHA

if you would like to compare your current tune with mine I have placed a copy of my Tuner Studio Project on the FrankenCIS web site The FrankenCIS 928 CIS-E Hybrid install - FrankenCIS - FrankenCIS

Please only open the following in Tuner Studio to review settings
DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES TRY AND LOAD IT INTO AN ACTUAL ECU
http://www.frankencis.com/.../928 CIS-E Frankencis_2018-02-18_22.53.59.zip

also it would be a good idea to send a copy of your current tune to tech@reanimotion.com so I can see if there is anything strange in the setup

www.FrankenCIS.com
Old 02-27-2018, 03:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1037 (permalink)

Garage
I'm sorry it has taken me so long Steve.. It was a lot more work than I first estimated..

https://youtu.be/6nCD6Q4SnXc

That's the system my FrankenCIS install is going onto..
Mercedes V8 CIS-E fuel distributor, 8 ports siamesed to 4 injectors, need to run atleast 1 solid bar of boost, hopefully closer to 1.5 bar..

That's how it runs with NO electronic intervention.
Now I will start getting all of the electronics working, wiring sensors and power distribution..

My first goal with the electronics will be to get the MS operating my fuel pump power for me..
Other than the power distribution as per the schematic, and a tack signal, what all does it need to do that?

Next I'll want to get the MAP and wideband going so I can get a good idea of what the fuel distributor gives me naturally.. "Log" it maybe.. See what it does..

Then obviously hook everything up and start actually controlling it and tune it up to my WG spring boost level which is only like 6 psi..

Right now I have a ball valve in place of the electronic idle bypass valve I would like to run. I will eventually want to get that going too but I'm not sure when to attack that..

For boost control I would like to get the MS running an EBC some time.. I wonder if my old frequency valve can do that job? It might need the fuel flow to stay cool or something..

Then maybe some day I can take over the ignition with the MS. Probably when I NEED it, probably should before I try for too much boost, sooner or later depending on how hard all of this is for me..

But one step at a time starting with getting things turning on and seeing what's happening I think..

Whatever you recommend for me to do in any order, let me know..

I'll try to figure out as much as I can on my own and not ask you too many questions I can easily solve myself..

First thing I need to really figure out is where and how to get a tack signal off of my ignition..
Old 06-08-2018, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1038 (permalink)
umop apisdn

Congratulations and very well done !!

for fuel pump control, just the tachometer signal and a good "normal" relay between the microsquirt fuel pump output and the pump would be all that's really needed
The microsquirt will prime the pump for a few seconds on ignition-on then wait for a specified RPM during cranking to turn on the pump

924_Porsche_Turbo-Model_81_Service_Information.pdf
Page 45 on this indicates PIN 2 of the ignition control unit would be a good point for tachometer signal

Get a proper wastegate solenoid for EBC

www.FrankenCIS.com
Old 06-08-2018, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1039 (permalink)

Garage
Thank you very much!

That manual is for 81 and on cars, they have digital ignition.. My car is an 80 so the ignition is much different. I don't have a crank sensor at all..

But.. I was able to find on that site..
http://16vt.free.fr/931/Porsche%20924%20Turbo%20Service%20Info-1.pdf

The right manual for my car. Which also shows a "tachometer term 1." So I will use that one!

Last edited by fasteddie313; 06-09-2018 at 09:55 AM..
Old 06-09-2018, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1040 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: