Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddie313 View Post
How tuned up are ya?
Hot and cold starts great, idles pretty well with the occasional hiccup (probably a little rich). I've got a basic ignition and it drives around town ok.

Now looking to optimized it, take out some dead spots, and make sure I'm not knocking.

'86 no-sunroof 930 coupe: Emissions removed, FrankenCIS controlling eWUR, lambda, COP ignition, and EBC. SC cams, K-27/29, Tial 0.8bar, TK Longneck intercooler, RarlyL8 headers and dual-outlet hooligan
'14 Jaguar XK-R: Bullet proof windscreen, rotating number plates (valid all European countries), martini mixer, whatever you do don't press this red button!

Last edited by flightlead404; 07-14-2020 at 01:46 PM..
Old 07-14-2020, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1281 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Nice..
Good luck!!

I tried getting some dyno time and after I told him what was on the car he refused and basically told me to street tune it, lol..
Old 07-14-2020, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1282 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Nice..
Good luck!!

I tried getting some dyno time and after I told him what was on the car he refused and basically told me to street tune it, lol..
I had a long conversation about it with DBW motorsports, the guy is totally on board with it. Hopefully it will work out.
'86 no-sunroof 930 coupe: Emissions removed, FrankenCIS controlling eWUR, lambda, COP ignition, and EBC. SC cams, K-27/29, Tial 0.8bar, TK Longneck intercooler, RarlyL8 headers and dual-outlet hooligan
'14 Jaguar XK-R: Bullet proof windscreen, rotating number plates (valid all European countries), martini mixer, whatever you do don't press this red button!
Old 07-14-2020, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1283 (permalink)
Registered

My setup with the frankencis works almost perfect,
I need to find little more fuel at the hi rpm and kangaroo hesetation at low rpm.

Were is the best place to build something so I can put a sensor to measure system pressure on this cars?
Old 07-15-2020, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1284 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spjuvern View Post
Were is the best place to build something so I can put a sensor to measure system pressure on this cars?
Fuel input line to fuel distributor should work I think.. Maybe by the fuel filter..
I think everything between the inline fuel pump and the FD should be system pressure but I'm not 100% sure..
Old 07-15-2020, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1285 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Fuel input line to fuel distributor should work I think.. Maybe by the fuel filter..
I think everything between the inline fuel pump and the FD should be system pressure but I'm not 100% sure..
Sounds right, but I'd place it downstream of the fuel pressure accumulator.
Old 07-16-2020, 05:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1286 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Just hooked it up on the dyno, tech just started the car, I’m pacing around like an expectant father lol...

Now hitting 363hp and around 350 torque....still working ...

Final #'s 346 torque and 364hp to the wheels, not bad upgrade from stock 280hp flywheel with essentially bolt-ons (I guess cams are "advanced bolt ons").

Running out of fuel, but still able to keep it right at 12 at 6,000. With a modified fuel head could deliver more fuel, allowing increased boost to take advantage of that and might be able to get a scosh more hp, and going full EFI might get me to 400hp, but right now that doesn't seem like a significant gain vs the time/effort.

Going to call this a day for now, focus on getting the a/c working and some interior cosmetics and other minor things.

Full write up coming in a few weeks.

Last edited by flightlead404; 07-18-2020 at 09:21 AM..
Old 07-18-2020, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1287 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Great man!!

All tuned up completely derivable now?
Old 07-18-2020, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1288 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Great man!!

All tuned up completely derivable now?
I need to drive it around town a bit more, but so far yes!
Old 07-20-2020, 05:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1289 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Old 07-21-2020, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1290 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
Looks like you have a pretty decent sized turbo if you aren't spooled up by the high 3ks..
Running low boost and running out of fuel starting at around 5k?
How much more boost do you think your turbo can make efficiently if you had enough fuel?

I almost want to say throw a V8 FD on it and run the 2 extra injectors in your intake somewhere.. But not everyone is insane like me..

Mine... It want's to dump WAY too much fuel on top, so I have to pull out a lot of VE at high boost/high RPM..

From 134 all the way down to 121 in the top right, and that is still too fat at like 10.6-10.8 on top @ 20psi..
Have gotten it up to almost 250kpa, but I'm running it mostly around 220kpa ish.. I think it runs out of turbo, not much more power after about 220kpa, but I have 2 more slight intake restrictions to work out yet and that might help the compressor out a bit..

With VE flat up there in the 130's it'll drown it to where it won't even fire the mixture..
Probably poor turbo efficiency pumping that much pressure.. But their is definitely enough fuel available..

Last edited by fasteddie313; 07-21-2020 at 08:39 PM..
Old 07-21-2020, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1291 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I had a conversation about adding in an extra injector and using the Staged Injection capability of the microsquirt to add additional fueling. Not sure about that yet.

As it sits right now I think I can raise my boost a bit, maybe to 1.0 bar, and still be ok on fuel. As you can see I'm only getting leaner than 12:1 after 6,300 rpm which is well after peak power anyway, and I'm actually a little fat before that. I would need to check gear ratio but I'd expect to shift up a but earlier than that.

The other thing I want to do is see if I can get the boost to come in at lower RPMs. I was just re-re-reading another thread and might try to see if a 4-port EBC or even a manual boost controller can tell me if I'm starting to leak at the WG before I hit target boost - which would then be causing slower boost onset.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1292 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
What duty cycle are you running your frequency valve up to?
That can really add more fuel if you open that frequency valve right up wide open..

In my testing, the difference between the frequency valve full closed and full open was almost exactly double the fuel @ full open..

Have you maxed that FV duty cycle right out?

Can you post your Lambda/FV VE map?

Could also bump your system pressure up to about 100psi to squeak out a bit more fuel..

Last edited by fasteddie313; 07-22-2020 at 01:40 PM..
Old 07-22-2020, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1293 (permalink)
umop apisdn

Awesome work Gentlemen !!

Congratulations

www.FrankenCIS.com
Old 07-24-2020, 09:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1294 (permalink)
Turbofrog

IMO system pressure is not the answer for more fuel. I've tried that and did not work. 6-6.5bar is ok. To test your turbos boundaries just put the pressure hose to top port of your WG and carefully test drive looking at the boost gauge if it shoots over what you had expected. Maybe lower the timing before the test to be safe. I'm also waiting for my 4port mac valve but I may need a stiffer WG springs too as my top port tests still taper the boost on higher rpms with the two smaller turbos I have now tested.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1295 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfbus View Post
IMO system pressure is not the answer for more fuel. I've tried that and did not work. 6-6.5bar is ok. To test your turbos boundaries just put the pressure hose to top port of your WG and carefully test drive looking at the boost gauge if it shoots over what you had expected. Maybe lower the timing before the test to be safe. I'm also waiting for my 4port mac valve but I may need a stiffer WG springs too as my top port tests still taper the boost on higher rpms with the two smaller turbos I have now tested.
I have a .2 bar spring to add to me .8 bar, I should have plenty of fuel for that. But now I'm thinking instead of that to do a manual boost control (mounted in the engine bay so I won't be tempted).

I may have enough fuel to get a little past 1.0 bar we will see if I can trim the fuel much more.
Old 07-31-2020, 05:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1296 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Hey Steve

I'm thinking about using a CANbus gauge like this with my FrankenCIS.

Did you guys make any changes to the parameters that would be output on the CANbus either adding the CIS-specific parameters like WUR/Lambda duty cycle or anything that would prevent a gauge like this working?

At minimum I'm going to want MAP, AFR, IGN Advance, maybe some others.

Thanks!
Old Yesterday, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1297 (permalink)
umop apisdn

Good morning
The gaugeART device only lists the MS3/MS3Pro as being compatible on their web page

The Megasquirt folks strategically decided to stop adding features to MS2 with the excuse it doesn't have the available memory to do new things. Which is a bit of a fib of course
They then added a portion of the dash broadcast code to the MS2, about half the messages sent by MS3.

I've been CANBUS broadcasting around 10 channels to my 996 Instrument cluster for a decade now with no problems, as well as the added code for FrankenCIS, so if we can find the spec we can send out the data ( I also have the AEM Infinity code here somewhere )

You are running 5.5.8k from memory with the Flex as Knock input mod and the basic MS2 can broadcast options of RPM and Engine Temp

In 5.5.9k I added back in my Vehicle Speed on Flex

It shouldn't be difficult to add in the broadcast code from MS2Extra 3.4.x , the trick will be whether or not the gaugeART unit needs all of it and does the MS2 with FrankenCIS have the memory space for the additional code.

www.FrankenCIS.com
Old Yesterday, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1298 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reanimotion View Post
Good morning
The gaugeART device only lists the MS3/MS3Pro as being compatible on their web page

The Megasquirt folks strategically decided to stop adding features to MS2 with the excuse it doesn't have the available memory to do new things. Which is a bit of a fib of course
They then added a portion of the dash broadcast code to the MS2, about half the messages sent by MS3.

I've been CANBUS broadcasting around 10 channels to my 996 Instrument cluster for a decade now with no problems, as well as the added code for FrankenCIS, so if we can find the spec we can send out the data ( I also have the AEM Infinity code here somewhere )

You are running 5.5.8k from memory with the Flex as Knock input mod and the basic MS2 can broadcast options of RPM and Engine Temp

In 5.5.9k I added back in my Vehicle Speed on Flex

It shouldn't be difficult to add in the broadcast code from MS2Extra 3.4.x , the trick will be whether or not the gaugeART unit needs all of it and does the MS2 with FrankenCIS have the memory space for the additional code.
To quote a famous movie, "That's a bummer, dude".

Yes that's the version I'm running, but I'm not going to use that knock in the end. Nor EBC on FIDLE.

I'm on the cusp of deciding whether to design/build my own CANbus gauge or use something like this.

The things that are important to me are AFR, MAP, IGN Adv, IAT and if I can log, RPM. Does the microsquirt do any of those?

Old Today, 05:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1299 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: