Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

It begins...

A month into 930 ownership and it's time to start tweaking things. If it ain't broke, fix it. Right?

Anyway, I'd like to start with three main things: replacing the rubber on the whale tail, a wevo shifter, and working on the oil cooling.
The whale tail rubber is straight forward but the other two present some questions for me.
Regarding the shifter, I plan to do a full refurbishment I.E. Bushings/coupler etc. I'm going to go with the classic looking option.
Is it possible to use this with the normal center console or will it have to be modified? While I'm in there, any opinions on what to replace?

And now the cooling: I know that the switch for the cooler up front kicks on around 248 degrees, but in LA with the traffic and the heat I reach that almost every drive. I heard there is a replacement switch that kicks on earlier. Have any of you gone that route? Is it prudent just to install a switch in the cabin that I can flip on as a preventative action before traffic? I don't like running my engine hot.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-14-2014, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
First welcome, I haven't seen any pics of your car yet, better get them up fast! Can't help you with the shifter, but for the cooling I assuming you mean the fan kicks on at 248??? The thermostat to the front cooler opens around 180. I replaced my trombone cooler with an Elephant Racing cooler and fan. The package came with an adjustable thermostat. The sensor fits within the fins of the cooler (external) near the inlet. I have it set to kick on at 210. You may want to look into a similar setup...
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'74 914 track basket-case
Old 07-14-2014, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
First welcome, I haven't seen any pics of your car yet, better get them up fast! Can't help you with the shifter, but for the cooling I assuming you mean the fan kicks on at 248??? The thermostat to the front cooler opens around 180. I replaced my trombone cooler with an Elephant Racing cooler and fan. The package came with an adjustable thermostat. The sensor fits within the fins of the cooler (external) near the inlet. I have it set to kick on at 210. You may want to look into a similar setup...
Thanks Calvin. Given that my car is an 88, I already have a cooler upfront instead of a trombone cooler. I have replaced the fan with a more efficient modern one. Which switch are you using to control the temp at which it engages? Did that come with the cooler or did you buy it seperately? I feel 248 is already too hot with the weather and traffic around here.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
The switch came with the fan, but it was a kit pieced together by ER. The switch is just like these, a Derale adjustable unit, it looked exactly like the 2nd one, but had the radiator fin probe. A quick search came up with this...

Electric Fan Control Switches : Fan Control Switches : Electric Fan Harnesses : Electric Fan Sensors
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'74 914 track basket-case
Old 07-14-2014, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwmkkr View Post
...I have replaced the fan with a more efficient modern one.
1st: pics of your '88 or VTB!

B) might you share a pic of your replacement fan, and details as to where you sourced? Mine froze and doesn't work so I've removed it for now (I also run a FMOC so not super concerned), but I'd like to eventually replace it.

I've already got a spare switch installed that the PO used for priming the fuel pumps (!?) that I'm going to use for manual operation, but if you search here you'll find a post I recently made that cursed the OE temp sender (switch) I'd broken that is pretty expensive to replace.

In there, someone suggested there's a BMW or some such alternative available which turns on at a cooler temp and that you can buy on eBay for much cheaper.

Regardless, welcome... and... pics - STAT (hey I don't make the rules!)...

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 07-15-2014, 04:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

OK OK here are some photos, no ban please! I have just received a new piece of rubber for the whale tail, a new temp switch that kicks on at 210 and a classic WEVO shift assembly is on the way. I can tell this car is going to burn some holes in my pockets.

Old 07-18-2014, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Great looking car! Looks like you might have one of Rarelyl8's exhaust systems…any info on those wheels?? 17's? Hard to tell from he phone. Welcome!
Old 07-18-2014, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: