Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
pig pig pig rich (video)

car is going pig rich!
no fuel related mods, bone stock
Slightly bigger turbo
964 cams
Headers

How is this possible with a stock model 78 euro car?
Some people are trying to get more fuel but I'm trying to get less!
Car is holding at 4000 rpm.
Little bit black smoke (hard to see)
Ignition is set right.

I made another vid but quality is not so good.
Sounds is bad (more like a train ) as my windows and roof where open.

P pig rich - YouTube
Old 07-14-2014, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

If your car has two fuel pumps and two fuel pump relays the rear fuel pump relay also powers the heater elements on the WUR/CPR and the cold start aux air valve.

If the rear fuel pump relay stopped working the car will usually still run on the front pump only but then the heater elemenrt on the bimetallic spring thermostat in the WUR cools off and it lowers the control pressure which richens the AFR.

Just one of many possiblities with CIS... and it happened to mine while driving once.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
If your car has two fuel pumps and two fuel pump relays the rear fuel pump relay also powers the heater elements on the WUR/CPR and the cold start aux air valve.

If the rear fuel pump relay stopped working the car will usually still run on the front pump only but then the heater elemenrt on the bimetallic spring thermostat in the WUR cools off and it lowers the control pressure which richens the AFR.

Just one of many possiblities with CIS... and it happened to mine while driving once.

I think your spot on, well almost!
The rear fuel pump is starting to make a strange and loud noise.
Should I replace both or would the noizy one be enough? If one fails most likely the other one follows or am I wrong?
I need to buy a cis pressure tester! it's all about money money money
Here's the sound, what do you guy's think?!
Pump sound - YouTube
Old 07-14-2014, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I'm referring to the rear fuel pump relay in the front trunk, not the actual rear fuel pump. If the rear pump is making noise it's getting some electricity and the relay is probably ok.
Check the electrical plug on the WUR and see if it's getting 12 volts when the rear pump is running. If it isn't getting electricity it's going to stay in cold start mode.

There's many things that can and will eventually go wrong with CIS. This is just one thing that can cause the problem you described.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
I'm referring to the rear fuel pump relay in the front trunk, not the actual rear fuel pump. If the rear pump is making noise it's getting some electricity and the relay is probably ok.
Check the electrical plug on the WUR and see if it's getting 12 volts when the rear pump is running. If it isn't getting electricity it's going to stay in cold start mode.

There's many things that can and will eventually go wrong with CIS. This is just one thing that can cause the problem you described.
I know you did. I went to the car when you told me about the fuel relay. and while testing one by one I noticed that the rear feul pump is way to loud so I need to replace the fuel pump. not sure if you can hear it in the vid but it's not making pressure. When I turn on the front pump you hear in the first second it's building up pressure. So that's why I'm pig rich. I checked the wur and it's getting 12 volts!
All credits to you Sir! Thanks

Little question. Why would you choose a 044 fuel pump above a stock one?
Old 07-14-2014, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Little question. Why would you choose a 044 fuel pump above a stock one?
[/QUOTE]

They cost way less if you buy them on ebay or amazon and get a real one doing it

They can flow more fuel too.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
They cost way less if you buy them on ebay or amazon and get a real one doing it

They can flow more fuel too.
Great! Let's get one now
Old 07-14-2014, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

[QUOTE=klefroid;8163796] and while testing one by one I noticed that the rear feul pump is way to loud.

It's not always a sign of a bad rear pump when it is loud; it may be a sign of a bad front pump. When a front pump starts acting up, the rear pump gets louder and louder. Simple test on two good pumps: pull the front pump relay and listen to the good rear pump roar.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Ooh, poor cylinders and oil getting washed out. Hope you get her sorted soon.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post
Ooh, poor cylinders and oil getting washed out. Hope you get her sorted soon.
That problem came just after the new turbo. After 3 gaspump stops it's worse then before. May be an easy fix.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I found one loose wire on that normaly connects to the starter.
So there are two small wires, one to activate the starter and the other one is for ???
I looked true threads and did not found good info. If the wire is not connected to the starter, what happens then?
Old 07-19-2014, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Sounds like the pump is working but its sucking Air ?
Old 07-19-2014, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyg View Post
Sounds like the pump is working but its sucking Air ?
I got two new pumps but need an adapter to install them. if there was a leak then there would be fuel leaking, no?
Old 07-19-2014, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: