Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Eng-o-neer

M491 track suspension to street suspension

I'm in the process of acquiring an '84 M491 that was a dedicated track car. I would like to return it to factory trim, or at least good street trim. I'm hoping to do it in phases to avoid a large initial outlay, but if this adds much to the total cost I can probably bite the bullet. Things I'd like to accomplish:

1) Raise the car to stock US height...or possibly ROW height. Anyone have a strong preference? I fear my driveway will eat the spoiler at even US height (my stock '87 with no front spoiler scrapes the protective bar damn near every time I pull out). What controls the ride height, exactly?

2) Tame the suspension. My '87 feels great. This is my baseline. I could go stiffer, but I don't want my teeth to fall out on a cobblestone road or during a pothole rendezvous. What am I looking at? Swapping in stock torsion bars? Aftermarket upgrade? Sway bars? Shocks? I've never monkeyed with a 911 suspension, and I'm trying to find a good place to start researching. Is it wiser/cheaper to do it all at once or should I replace one bit and see how the rest works with it?

3) Get new wheels and tires on there. Probably a quality set of 17" Fuchs replicas. I don't believe the rolling radius will change at all from the monster meat that is on there now, but I believe the wheels that are on there now are 19".

I'm wondering if, when I raise the car and change a bunch of things on the suspension, how important is an alignment and corner balance? What if I have that done, then I get new wheels and tires? Must it be repeated? Where is a good place to start understanding the various components?
Old 07-14-2014, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered turbo addict

Garage
Do you have a list of your current suspension components and modifications? Or do you have photos of your current setup? Do you want a fully stock setup or a hotrod street setup?
Old 07-14-2014, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

I'll try and get some photos--I don't have the car yet. Just trying to get my ducks in a row. I don't expect this car to see much track time anymore. Closer to daily driving with spirit.

I'm aiming for a fully stock setup only because I like the way it drives. I have no particular interest in originality otherwise. If there's a way to get a better or cheaper setup that doesn't compromise overall ride quality (and tire wear), I would go for it.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Unfortunately the suspension is all tuned together front and rear. When you change something in either end it effects the other . I'm sure anyone can chime in and give good advice but it will always be something of a balanced approach to your needs . I just went through all of this on mine and I can tell you that it will depend on what you want . Figure out a "want list" shop around and talk with a lot of people before you start shelling out the money It can get very expensive if you just start throwing things at your car .There are many good people here on Pelican that have "been there done that" and a lot of horror stories to boot .

Just ask , be honest and you will end up with a nice ride...what you have now list is a good place to start . Just some good advice

Kozmo
Old 07-14-2014, 09:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Maybe you can find someone with a stock car that wants the track suspension setup and will trade with you.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Tremelune, I removed my stock 1986 930 suspension last summer. Torsion bars, sway bars, and front and rear Bilsteins. Nothing wrong with them just went stiffer. I just put it all on the shelf that I put stock parts on that I never ever revisit bust save for unknown reasons. I'm in Westchester county about an hour from Brooklyn if you want to check them all out. If you wanted to buy or swap let's chat. PM me.
Ken
Old 07-15-2014, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

I too save stock parts for unknown reasons. At this point I have an entire CB350 in boxes. That my be the simplest way for me to go, so consider me interested...Just need to get the car first.

I found a very handy illustration of the suspension:

Elephant Racing | Suspension Navigator | Porsche 911/912/930
Old 07-15-2014, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

Well, I have the car, but the thing is so low to the ground, I can barely get pictures.

It seems I have a fully adjustable Smart Racing Products setup:

I'm guessing I can raise the car as per usual, then move the torsion/sway bars to a "softer" setting, and maybe get a street-friendly ride without replacing anything? Does this seem viable?

The car does not like bumps at this time. Camber is extreme, as well.

Last edited by Tremelune; 07-26-2014 at 04:06 PM..
Old 07-26-2014, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

You should confirm what you have as far as torsion bars, sway bar diameter, and shocks. Smart Racing sway bars come in different diameters, so going to a smaller bar is one option. You may find someone on the board that will swap you. Depending on the shocks, you could have them re-valved to a softer setting, and go down in torsion bar dia.
Your almost at the softest setting for the rear sway bar based on the photo.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

Aha, I was wondering if I was on the hard end or the soft end. The hard end must be great on tracks made of marble.

I need to get the car in the air. Maybe I can bring it to my mechanic next weekend and have him poke around some.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Your on the soft end of what ever bar diameter your running.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: