Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Inside Smuggler Box - Help please.

This is a picture of my 1978 930 Turbo, I bought the car with the air conditioning unit removed and in the picture are these two big and one small hoses. The small hose I discovered pulls water from the vent under the windshield and dumps it all over the floor in the car. My question is: Where does the big hoses go? Can I direct the water from the small hose to the big one? I have been told I may have to drill through the bottom for another drain for the small hose; however, I am wondering if I can drain the water into one of the big hoses.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide!

John

Last edited by Janusz1; 07-17-2014 at 05:40 PM..
Old 07-17-2014, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The upper big hole is the cool air ducting from the evaporator fan housing to the dash AC vents and the lower one goes to the lower center AC vent under the dash. Sometimes the lower one is referred to as the bow tie vent because there's a removable plastic cover on it that is shaped kinda like a bow tie and it directs the cool air to the left and right under the dash.

That plastic hose should be longer or connected to another pipe or hose and it's supposed to drain through a hole down there exiting under the car next to where the evaporator housing drained condensation water through it's plastic pipe.

The evaporator housing used to draw in air through the other opening down there that enters the cabin behind the passenger side wood floor board (if it's still there) and you can see it's been blocked off.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Smile

Big thanks, Fairman. Very helpful.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Ronniebanned's suggesting by-proxy that those details are flawed

maybe his ban will expire soon enough to allow him to chime in to be of further help to ya

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 07-18-2014, 05:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

It's been around 6 or 7 years since I had the evaporator housing out to do a Rennaire serpentine AC evaporator update in the smuggler box and I'm having difficulty remembering where that plastic hose goes so I may be off on that.
I can't imagine Porsche would let it drip and collect water in the bottom of the smuggler box. That would cause problems.

I know there is a hole in the bottom of the smuggler box and a little plastic pipe sticking out of the bottom of the plastic evaporator box goes through the hole and drains condensation out under the car.

edit: Thinking about it some more, the round duct on the bottom is another air inlet that also takes in air farther over to the left side down by the floor. The air inlet that has been blocked off with a panel pop riveted in place had the fan speed resistance wire coils for the slower evaporator fan speeds 1 and 2 in the air flow through that duct to cool them.
The top duct is where the cooled off and dehumidified air from the evaporator exited the evaporator housing.
Still can't remember where the little plastic water drain hose goes...

Last edited by JFairman; 07-18-2014 at 06:58 AM..
Old 07-18-2014, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Ronnie-by-proxy suggests ^this^ is right 8-)

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 07-18-2014, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Garage
The small drain hose goes out one of the two small holes in the bottom. One is the drain from the evaporator and the other is the fresh air drain
It is secured by the 2 tabs visible in your picture.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: