Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question on oil tank gasket replacement

I have a small leak coming from the oil level sending unit. How much, if any oil do I need to drain in order to drop the oil level below the sending unit so I can replace the gasket.

thanks,
Old 07-25-2014, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Well, maybe mine was just way low at the time, but I drained exactly no oil in order to replace the sending unit gasket.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

thanks,

I guess I could also do some eyeballing and measuring from the outside to get an idea of where the level of oil on the dipstick is as compared to the bottom of the sending unit.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Banned

You can look down the oil tank filler neck with a flashlight and see the oil level sender body/plate - it's well above the normal resting oil level.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks again. Sounds like an easy fix.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Banned

Make sure you take care when loosening the stud nuts - would be a good idea to first clean the area thoroughly and soak the studs/nuts with Kroil or your penetrant of choice. Also, removing and installing the sender in the tank hole is a bit tricky and you'll need to be patient about it . . . it's one of those things that can seem impossible to maneuver, but once you have it figured out, is fairly easy.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

If you let the car sit overnight the oil in the tank and engine case equalizes as gravity pushes it down and it slowly seeps past the clearance around the gears in the main oil pump filling the case.
I think the oil level in the tank will be below the gasket then and you can remove it without any coming out if it isn't overfilled.
It takes the same cork gasket the fuel tank sending unit uses.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

thanks for all the input. I've ordered the gasket.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: