Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Pimpim
Unhappy Strange sound

I have a question. This is so that my car is starting to sound like rattlesnake / chirps when I accelerate. Sounds more gas I have you idea what it could be? The car runs as it should except for this annoying sound: (
Old 07-26-2014, 05:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I was found a rattlesnake eating a bird in my engine bay…what a mess.

Sometimes it helps to know the conditions under which the sound is made. Warm engine? Cold engine? Under load v. Coast.

Is the sound rotational in nature or just kinda there?

Also can you get a recording?
Old 07-26-2014, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Hard to record it when I drive

But its sounds that Come more from passanger side. Its sound warm like cold engine. And sound more when I push the gas pedal when I drive and more I revs it
. But if I stand still and push the gas pedal its sound almost nothing.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Banned

There is a good chance that you are hearing detonation - could be described as sort of a "rattlesnake" sound. What makes me say this is that you hear it most while in motion and with throttle (under load - where detonation occurs most) and that the noise is not heard with throttle while at a stand still (no load = no detonation). Have you made any recent changes to your car? Do you have an onboard AFR meter? If so, what readings are you seeing when the sound occurs?

Also, you might be hearing combustion leakage due to a broken head stud - think you should be able to hear that with the car motionless and running, however - definitely worth looking into, though.

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 07-26-2014 at 07:43 AM..
Old 07-26-2014, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Have modified the car under a long time. First has the engine ber Overhaul and up graded with different cams. Then I have EFI convert the engine And drives on E85. And this year I have change turbo and custom made headers
Old 07-26-2014, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie's.930 View Post
There is a good chance that you are hearing detonation - could be described as sort of a "rattlesnake" sound. What makes me say this is that you hear it most while in motion and with throttle (under load - where detonation occurs most) and that the noise is not heard with throttle while at a stand still (no load = no detonation). Have you made any recent changes to your car? Do you have an onboard AFR meter? If so, what readings are you seeing when the sound occurs?

Also, you might be hearing combustion leakage due to a broken head stud - think you should be able to hear that with the car motionless and running, however - definitely worth looking into, though.
+1 on that ... lean on one side of motor , passenger side you say ? may only be one side head stud broken . Ran into this after over boosting motor , but E85 ...Hmmm ? doesn't it need to be richer then gas anyway

KJozmo
Old 07-26-2014, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I have richer set up now when I drive E 85

But I hope it is not head studs I have change them to 993 turbo head studs
Old 07-26-2014, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: