Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Centerforce Lightweight clutch

Looking to put a new clutch in my 79 930. The car is mostly stock with the exception of GHL headers and dual out muffler. The most I will ever add would be a longneck inter cooler and a updated turbo. I'd like to keep the clutch pedal feel as close to stock as possible and I'm not in need of clutch to hold 500ft pounds as I will never use it. As I see it my options are a stock replacement Sachs clutch, a centerforce lightweight kit part#255255 with adapter ring and bearing extension or a KEP stage 1. I have talked to a well respected shop and they recommended the centerforce. After searching around it seems centerforce has had issues for some in the 930. Looking at the kit the disc itself is carbon fiber or Kevlar will these last and not chatter for street driving. I'd like to think I'd go to the track but realistically this car is a street car. Thanks for any info provided.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Rocket Scientist

Check out Patrick Motorsports. They have a couple of Sachs sport clutch options (more stock-like in my opinion), including a lighter aluminum cover. Pretty good online catalog too.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I went with Turbo Kraft's setup on mine. Holds great and feels like the stock clutch not too hard and good engagement.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

My Kevlar is buttery smooth.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Speedy, we must think the same as this was the first place I contacted.
Tug, do you happen to know what the specs are on ,your turbo kraft setup I bet it's the short PP with the adapter ring and the TO bearing extension with either the centerforce or Sachs. PP.
Tippy, this is good to know as I'm leaning towards the centerforce kit that has the Kevlar clutch disk.

I don't see any need to raise pedal pressure for my power level. The centerforce kit increases clamping force with a stock pedal feel from what I gather. Should be good for at least 400/400 and is about 7 pounds lighter then the stock tall pressure plate. I was a little worried about the disk but I'd bet most late model stock supercars are using some type of carbon fiber or Kevlar for the stock clutch disk. I've heard good things about the Sachs stuff and the centerforce 255255 setup is just a reworked 76-77 turbo Sachs PP with increased to 935 spec clamping force and the Kevlar disk so not only do you shed 7 pounds from the PP but with the adapter ring and TO ext you keep more of the mass of the PP closer to the engine.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Clutch.net had my G50 Kevlar disc for $250.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDG View Post
Tug, do you happen to know what the specs are on ,your turbo kraft setup I bet it's the short PP with the adapter ring and the TO bearing extension with either the centerforce or Sachs. PP.
Hi, for the future mods you've listed, you won't need any big bad clutch, just a basic lightweight setup:
* Sachs 1976-77 3.0T aluminum pressure plate
* aluminum ring gear spacers + stainless release bearing extension
* standard 1976-77 3.0T clutch disc [1]
* standard 1976-88 930 release bearing
It's that easy.
The one we sold Tug has the next stronger pressure plate.
It's only proper that I tell you that you can source these from the host of this message board.
Alternatively, we can help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDG View Post
Tippy, this is good to know as I'm leaning towards the centerforce kit that has the Kevlar clutch disk.
I don't see any need to raise pedal pressure for my power level. The centerforce kit increases clamping force with a stock pedal feel from what I gather. Should be good for at least 400/400 and is about 7 pounds lighter then the stock tall pressure plate. I was a little worried about the disk but I'd bet most late model stock supercars are using some type of carbon fiber or Kevlar for the stock clutch disk. I've heard good things about the Sachs stuff and the centerforce 255255 setup is just a reworked 76-77 turbo Sachs PP with increased to 935 spec clamping force and the Kevlar disk so not only do you shed 7 pounds from the PP but with the adapter ring and TO ext you keep more of the mass of the PP closer to the engine.
Not entirely correct. The Centerforce pressure plate does not have significantly increased clamping capacity. The increased torque capacity is because of the dual friction clutch disc lining.

[1] coincidentally, Sachs has upgraded the standard 930 clutch disc with the high friction slotted lining from the 964/993RS, so higher torque capacity now comes standard.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 07-29-2014, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks Chris
Old 07-29-2014, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Thanks Chris. I've been meaning to call and get some info. So you think the center force 255255 is more clutch then needed for bolt ons and the factory 76-77 turbo clutch would be a better choice for a street car. Also interested in swapping turbo out for a Garrett gt35r. Can I still use or modify my ghl headers and muffler to work with the garett, and does boost creep become a problem and need to be addressed.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: