Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Interior engine access hatch?

OK, newbie question:

Has anyone with a turbo car ever tried to make an access hatch for the motor thru the rear firewall? To save from removing the intercooler.

Just curious because the car I bought has a huge intercooler and it's apparently quite tricky & time consuming to remove. So I thought accessing the front of the motor thru the rear firewall would be a bonus.

If anyone has pics that would be awesome!

Cheers, Chris
Old 07-31-2014, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
I've seen it yeah, On a highly modded car. You would need to reinforce the area around the shock struts among other areas I'd guess. So if you're cool with welding on your car then it could be done. Course you'd need to remove the engine Maybe it's easier to just remove the intercooler.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

That would be handy, since there are some components back there that are damn near inaccessible even with the IC removed.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
sounds good and first and I agree about access.
1. It's kinda dirty and I don't know that I would want to open that up, I'd rather remove the intercooler/fuel head
2. It's called a firewall for a reason-probably good to keep it intact in case of accident. might even be a law
3. have to have top up , seats down, prone position with only a narrow slit to work on [must stay on topic] you would probably have a wide but small top to bottom area to work with. Intake manifold, triangle, acceleration spring thats about it. I don't think you could do a leakdown test or troubleshoot fuel system any easier.

interesting thought
Old 07-31-2014, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
OK thanks for the info guys, I was just curious. My car doesn't have any rear interior in it and I thought it may be a handy little feature to have. I may pull the motor out over the winter for fun and to have a better look at everything and see if it is possible or even worth doing.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
I think it's something you could easily do if you were installing a full roll cage but otherwise I don't think it would be a good idea.
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 08-01-2014, 05:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I have a Matter aluminum bolt in cage that came with the car, I will most likely install.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

I have it in my car... How many times have I used it? "0"! Worth it? No! Even if you could use it you'd have to be pretty limber and small to climb through the roll cage. I would pull my IC off any day than try to access the panel. To me it was a waste of fabrication.
Twin Garrett's, Big Valve, Xtreme Cylinder Heads, JB Racing cylinders and machine work, custom JE pistons, GT2 EVO cams, GT3 oil pump, modified 3.2L intake, 80mm TB, custom Intercooler, equal length headers, DFI, KEP Stage 2 custom twin disc, G50 custom gear set, LSD, Tilton trans pump, Fluidyne cooler
Old 08-01-2014, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
OK, thanks for that feedback GJF, much appreciated!
Old 08-02-2014, 04:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Kartoffelkopf

Garage
IMO Instead of going down the route of fabbing an access hatch, I'd invest that time in re-engineering your intercooler to make it easier to remove....have a look in my build thread (below) which has a number of pics for my new full bay TurboKraft IC (in fact, its significantly bigger than a "full bay" 964T IC) which extends to the absolute edges of the engine aperture....to maintain serviceability, the IC uses 2x lugs at the back that locate into bolted down fabricated brackets, then a single bolt at the front that screws into the ignition coil bracket. The intake and exit pipework uses "Wiggins" style connections. I don't for a minute think it magically transforms it into a 2min job to remove; alignment needs to be precise and the sealing o-rings are still tight into the clamp sleeves.....but it's going to help a lot.
1993 (MY92) 964 Turbo 3.3 - Horizon Blue - Follow my 964 Turbo project here... http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-engine-rebuilding-forum/626572-964-3-3-turbo-efi-conversion-using-syvecs-life-racing-engine-management.html
On Instagram (along with other stuff) as @spenny_.b #spennybengineproject
Old 08-02-2014, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: